It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Justice Thomas Lashes Out in Memoir
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:51 am 

Justice Thomas Lashes Out in Memoir

In the book, Thomas writes that Hill was the tool of liberal activist groups "obsessed" with abortion and outraged because he did not fit their idea of what an African American should believe.

No, you just don't fit what we believe a Surpreme Court Justice should be. We were fine with Thurgood Marshall!

Conservatives sure like to feel sorry for themselves...

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:04 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

His angry memoirs don't escape the fact that he "carries water" (as Olbermann likes to say) for the Scalia and the conservative right.

And then there's this comment from the WashPo article:
Quote:
... that Hill was the tool of liberal activist groups "obsessed" with abortion and outraged because he did not fit their idea of what an African American should believe.

He's dead wrong if he thinks people wanted him to be a certain type of African American. No, we didn't want a lightly experienced, conservative justice who didn't deserve to sit in a post that required better moral character.

I think people have more to fear out of the opinions that he's carried in the SC. He also needs to examine what Scalia said about him and the Thomas view of "Stare decisis". (Crud, at one time GWB has considered Thomas for the court's highest post.)
Quote:
The proof is in 35 lone Thomas opinions that express a willingness to reexamine a breathtaking range of well-settled constitutional law. A little-known but telling example is a 1998 opinion by Thomas that expresses a willingness to reexamine the court's opinion in Calder v. Bull, which decided that the Constitution's prohibition against retroactive punishments applies only to criminal (not civil) laws. Regardless of what one thinks of the merits of the case, it is a unanimous 1798 opinion by the court that has not been seriously challenged in more than 200 years. It is the dictionary definition of established case law.

Far better known is Thomas's concurrence in United States v. Lopez, where, alone among the justices, he expressed a willingness to reexamine fundamental aspects of the court's jurisprudence under the Commerce Clause of the Constitution. This clause -- granting Congress the authority to regulate commerce "among the several states" -- is the principal power used by the federal government to protect civil rights, worker safety and the environment. Thomas's views, if adopted by the court, would call into question fundamental statutes in all these areas. As Justice Anthony M. Kennedy noted in a separate opinion, "the Court as an institution and the legal system as a whole have an immense stake in the stability of our Commerce Clause jurisprudence as it has evolved to this point. Stare decisis operates with great force in counseling us not to call in question the essential principles now in place respecting the congressional power to regulate transactions of a commercial nature."

Reading a Thomas opinion can feel like hitting 100 mph on a deserted highway: thrilling (or terrifying, depending on your perspective) but still a bad idea. The excitement of approaching every constitutional question anew comes at the cost of a stab to our constitutional tradition. No president should accept this trade-off.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:31 pm 
Thomas is a fuck-up. Sorry, that's just how it is. I studied the Hill Inquisition in college, for media studies, or whatever, :roll: and reading Thomas' statements from early in life, as well as some of his SC briefs, the man was tied up in knots with all sorts of confused levels of mindless anger.

I thought Anita Hill showed a lot of balls carrying herself through that inquisition as she did. While it's true she was being put in that place by those against Thomas' nomination, that has nothing to do with whatever psychotropic insanity Thomas sees as what "type" of African-American he is. Jesus Christ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:08 pm 

Thomas is a petulant, self serving, self aggrandizing putz. His color means nothing--it is his opinions that don't belong on the Court!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:24 pm 
Justice Thomas will be on 60 Minutes . . . TONIGHT.

LINK

Post subject: 60 Minutes interview
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:00 pm 
Well, this interview is very interesting.

I can see what Thomas had to be angry about growing up. The way he was treated by his white Yale brethren is indeed a disgrace. And the "elephant in the room" that characterized his inquisition was abortion, he says. But his attitude is deeper and more set in stone than these issues. An interesting personality -- I'll have to read his memoir to attempt a more detailed analysis. Or invite him on my forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maybe old Thomas has a problem called the button mushroom syndrome.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: 60 Minutes interview
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:24 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

GlassRace wrote:
Well, this interview is very interesting.

Rawstory article.

Quote:
However, Thomas acknowledges that his appointment to the Supreme Court at the edge of 43 and with barely a year of judicial experience makes it hard to believe that race was not a factor in his selection.

Maybe he should have done the honorable thing and said he wouldn't accept a "handout" to the SC post. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:35 am 

Supreme Court Justice Thomas--King of the Hypocrites!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Clarence Thomas: I 'swallowed hard' and worked for 'a dreaded Republican'

Quote:
CBS's 60 Minutes featured an extensive interview on Sunday with Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas. "He is often dismissed as a man of little accomplishment," began CBS's Steve Kroft, "an opportunistic black conservative who sold out his race, joined the Republican Party, and was ultimately rewarded with an affirmative action appointment to the nation's highest court, a sullen intellectual lightweight so insecure that he rarely opens his mouth in oral arguments."

When asked about these "misperceptions," Thomas told CBS that his job is "not to respond to idiocy." He insists that although he is just one member of an emerging anti-affirmative action majority on the Supreme Court, the "civil rights establishment" has singled him out for criticism, calling him a hypocrite or a traitor to his people. "It's none of their business," said Thomas about such charges. "Do I love helping black people? Absolutely."

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:52 am 

Excuse me? It is none of their business?

Let me repeat...Supreme Court Justice Thomas--King of the Hypocrites!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I wonder if he's still married to his white wife.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:12 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Swallowed hard, in deed. :roll: Is that what it takes to be a repub?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:06 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Oh, brother! What the hell is he doing on this grand bench in the first place, if Clarence Thomas hates his job.

Quote:
Earlier this week, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas spoke at Chapman University, revealing that he doesn’t even really “like” being a Supreme Court justice:

“There’s not much that entices about the job,” Thomas said, answering questions from the public that provided a rare glimpse of the man behind the office. “There’s no money in it, no privacy, no big houses, and from an ego standpoint, it does nothing for me.”

Thomas, 59, said the position is satisfying because he feels he’s serving the public, and he’s honored by it, “but I wouldn’t say I like it.”

“I like sports,” Thomas said. “I like to drive a motor home.”

He also likes to legislate his conservative values from the bench.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:59 am 

Catherine wrote:
I wonder if he's still married to his white wife.

Even more interesting was he choice for Best Man—Rush the ultimate reputz. The wedding was held at Limbaugh's house.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote