It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Huckabee and the release of Wayne Dumond
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:23 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Catherine linked this article in another thread. But I think it deserves special comment, considering what it appears to represent.

When Huckabee was a governor, there was controversy over whether he should release serial rapist Wayne Dumond.

One would think a "law and order" kind of guy would have found ways to keep scum off the streets, and highlighting the pleas of other victims and a strong victim rights lobby would have made the decision easy for Huckabee to find a way to throw away the key on Dumond.

But Huckabee seeks to release him, and it just doesn't make sense. What? Had he gone lefty soft? Was he smokin' something?

No, HuffPo might have uncovered another reason. And it is just outrageously disgusting to think that Huckabee would listen to backwards ass nonsense like this in support of parole:

Quote:
In 1996, as a newly elected governor who had received strong support from the Christian right, Huckabee was under intense pressure from conservative activists to pardon Dumond or commute his sentence. The activists claimed that Dumond's initial imprisonment and various other travails were due to the fact that Ashley Stevens, the high school cheerleader he had raped, was a distant cousin of Bill Clinton, and the daughter of a major Clinton campaign contributor.

I'm hoping that doesn't imply the thought, "Eh, Dumond only raped a Clinton. Let him go."

What's worse, after caving to this political pressure to release Dumond, some time later we learn --
Quote:
After Dumond's release from prison in September 1999, he moved to Smithville, Missouri, where he raped and suffocated to death a 39-year-old woman named Carol Sue Shields. Dumond was subsequently convicted and sentenced to life in prison for that rape and murder.

But Dumond's arrest for those crimes in June 2001 came too late for 23-year-old Sara Andrasek of Platte County, Missouri. Dumond allegedly raped and murdered her just one day before his arrest for raping and murdering Shields. Prior to the attack, Andrasek and her husband had learned that she was pregnant with their first child.

If there ever was an issue that Huckabee should be constantly bombarded with it should be this one. OK, right, this doesn't say anything about what he would do as president on Iraq, separation of church and state, and such, but damn, if there isn't a "morality" question here.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:46 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

The man of many nicknames.

You've got Michael Vick Huckabee. And now you've got Michael Dukakis Huckabee.

This article talks about how the behind-the-doors politics to commute Dumond stinks. They skirted a few different typical processes.
Quote:
But the Times’ new reporting shows the extent to which Huckabee and a key aide were involved in the process to win Dumond’s release. It was a process marked by deviation from accepted parole practice and direct personal lobbying by the governor, in an apparently illegal and unrecorded closed-door meeting with the parole board (the informal name by which the Post Prison Transfer Board is known).

After Huckabee told the board, in executive session, that he believed Dumond got a “raw deal,” according to a board member who was there, and supported his release, board chairman Leroy Brownlee personally paved the way for Dumond’s release, according to board records and former members. During that time — from December 1996 to January 1997 — Brownlee regularly consulted with Butch Reeves, the governor’s prison liaison, on the status of his efforts, two state officials have told the Times.

The governor, his office and spokesman Rex Nelson were repeatedly contacted for a response to this article, but none was forthcoming. Brownlee also did not respond to phone calls, but the Post Prison Transfer Board responded in writing.

The Times has also learned that:
• Ermer Pondexter, a former member of the Post Prison Transfer Board, says she was persuaded by the parole board chairman Brownlee to vote for Dumond’s release and because she knew the governor supported it.

• The board did not allow its recording secretary to attend a closed session with the governor regarding Dumond, nor was the session taped, a departure from custom.

• Board chair Brownlee [2005 note: Brownless has since been reappointed to the Board by Huckabee] personally interviewed Dumond in prison and set in motion the reconsideration of the board’s August 1996 vote to refuse Dumond parole. Normally, inmates must wait a year after a decision for a new hearing. Thanks to Brownlee’s efforts, Dumond was granted a new parole hearing Jan. 16, 1997, just six weeks after his request for reconsideration. This time, the board voted to parole. Brownlee later was reappointed to the board by Huckabee.

• Dumond was transferred to the Tucker unit in December 1996, after his request for rehearing. Had he stayed at Varner, he could not have been scheduled for a new hearing before Jan. 20, 1997, Huckabee’s deadline to act on his announcement that he was considering commuting Dumond’s sentence. His transfer — which the Department of Corrections has explained in conflicting ways — allowed him to get on the Tucker hearing schedule, which let the board parole Dumond before Huckabee’s deadline — and thus take the heat for his release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:27 am 

Quote:
You've got Michael Vick Huckabee. And now you've got Michael Dukakis Huckabee.

This is far, far more than Dukakis did. Dukakis got the heat, Huckabee done the crime.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:32 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Yes, I would agree that Huckabee is worse than Dukakis in this regard. That's why it shouldn't be let go.

Where is our Lee Atwater? I'm not advocating any dirty tricks linking Dukakis and Horton, but I am advocating that some democratic go getter put out the facts in the Huckabee / Dumond mess. A mess that has so many angles of wrong attached to it.

According to this blogger, we can all but expect an Atwater style racist attack of Obama. The democrats don't even have to go there, since the facts of the Dumond case plainly implicate Huckabee in so much more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:23 am 

Interesting comments at your link too CZ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:41 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Well, we could have the democrats hit Huckabee hard as really being soft on crime, or give Giuliani time to catch-on.

Or just let the conservative media take their swipes -- like Oregon's David Reinhard:

Be Like Mike? Please
Quote:

I should cotton to Huckabee. He's a real charmer, a pro-life traditionalist with a winning way and a sense of humor. His Christian faith informs his domestic policies, putting compassion and decency -- a concern for the littlest guy -- into his conservatism.

But there it ends. Some of Huckabee's foreign-policy and national-security pronouncements are fit only for the world of Sunday school. Close down Guantanamo, prohibit waterboarding, talk to our wildest enemies, end the administration's arrogant "bunker mentality" -- Republicans can get this kind of stuff at Democratic debates or on editorial pages. They don't need it from their candidate. One Kumbaya party is enough in the middle of a war.

In addition, Huckabee's crime-and-punishment record as governor makes Michael Dukakis look like Dirty Harry. And his shifty explanations of rapist Wayne Dumond's early release from prison -- and Dumond's later rape and murder of a 39-year-old woman -- have the smack of the original man from Hope: Bill Clinton.

There you have it. Huckabee makes Dukakis look like Dirty Harry.

But at least it wasn't Gov. Clinton that released Dumond.
Quote:
Governor Clinton ignored pleas on behalf of DuMond at the same time that he was ignoring pleas on behalf of Rickey Ray Rector.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:21 am 

So called 'conservatives' turn my stomach!

Yes, this is the same stuff I read locally...

Rs are the most despicable people there are!

Listened to a show, "What would Jesus do" or some such name, on CNN. Did you know that Jesus backs the death penalty and the war in the middle east? That was as much as I could stand.

The smell of sulfur is everywhere!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:48 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Family Security Matters calls the Huckster a snake oil salesman. And on the Dumond issue says this:
Quote:
How would a President Huckabee handle presidential pardons? Like he did in Arkansas? Ask an Arkansan about the career criminal, Wayne Dumond, who was in an Arkansas prison for the 1985 rape of Forrest City, Arkansas, student, Ashley Stevens. According to the Arkansas Republican News Service blog (www.arragopwing.com), which compiled a comprehensive account of Huckabee’s actions in the matter, Huckabee pressured the parole board to release Dumond because, Huckabee thought, Dumond got a “raw deal”. With Huckabee apparently having few real facts into Dumond’s case or background, Dumond was released from prison, thanks in part to Governor Huckabee.

Dumond subsequently moved to Missouri where he was convicted of the rape and murder of Carole Sue Shields and became a suspect in other cases. Dumond died in a Missouri prison in 2005.

It's one thing when your opposition goes after you, then you can claim it as cheap politics. But when your "base" attacks on the same issue, you've got troubles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Huckabee ties to investigated televangelist questioned

This week, Mike Huckabee garnered the endorsement of James Dobson, an important voice within the religious right. But Huckabee's relationship with another high-profile -- yet controversial -- evangelical, Kenneth Copeland, is drawing interest as well.

Copeland is one of six televangelists under investigation by Senator Chuck Grassley for his alleged role in pocketing millions of dollars in tax-exempt church donations to bankroll his personal lavish lifestyle. So far, he has refused to cooperate with the investigation.

Last fall, Huckabee taped an appearance on Copeland's popular television show, where they talked about “integrity of character.” “Treat these people like you'd want to be treated,” was the message that Huckabee delivered. But after the show, Huckabee stayed overnight at the ministry's luxurious 18,000 square foot lakefront home and called him “a delightful human being.” This reluctance to disassociate himself from the contentious figure has led many to question Huckabee’s judgment.

"Mr. Huckabee has terrible judgment because not only is he being closely associated with someone under this ethical cloud, but he's refusing to distance himself," said Melanie Sloan, executive director of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics In Washington.

:twisted:

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:37 pm 

One can only hope that "maverick" McCain in an effort to "unite" the Repugs taps Huckabee for the VEEP slot. This would be the boost needed by the eventual Dem nominee.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not if McCain should win. It could then be Disaster: Part 2. McCain is 71 years old, probably be 72 by the time he took office.

If he should die in office, Huckabee would be prez.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh boy....here we go again! Do we really want a RELIGIOUS EXTREMIST in the White House again?

Huckabee at Falwell's Church: Ten Commandments better than law

Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee has won electoral contests by focusing his pitch to religious conservatives around the country. And in a Sunday visit to the church of the deceased Rev. Jerry Falwell, Huckabee threw that base some more red meat.

"We really don’t need a lot of law if we’re people of morality," Huckabee said at the Thomas Road Baptist Church in Lynchburg, Virginia, according to a report in the Lynchburg News Advance. "There are only 10 basic laws that we need … the reason that the law is more complicated is because we try to find clever ways around those 10."

Additional reports at CBS News showed Huckabee taking his statement a step farther.

:angryfire: :pukeright: :blob6:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:17 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Catherine wrote:
Not if McCain should win. It could then be Disaster: Part 2. McCain is 71 years old, probably be 72 by the time he took office.

If he should die in office, Huckabee would be prez.

This guy from "The Street" thinks Huck would not be a good pres. He thinks the Wayne Dumond thing is a liability.
Quote:
Huckabee could help win support from evangelicals, except for one big skeleton in his political closet: Wayne DuMond. Huckabee pardoned DuMond while governor of Arkansas. After securing his release, DuMond went on to sexually assault and murder a woman in Missouri. I think Huckabee has a better chance making his mark in TV.

A repub staple is being considered strong on "security" matters. So, Huck has this problem going for him:
Quote:
In fact, I believe Huckabee is fundamentally naive about the nature of evil altogether, as evidenced by his pathetic record on clemency as governor of Arkansas.

During his tenure as governor, he issued more clemency than the six surrounding states--COMBINED! You may have heard about Wayne Dumond, the convicted rapist Huckabee worked to free (who then went on to rape and kill two women), but you may not have heard about some of the other heinous criminals he let go--many of whom went on to pursue their criminal careers after Huckabee let them out of prison early.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:07 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

We need laws to protect us from Christo-fascist politicians.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Huckabee must think he's got "star" talent! :roll:

Huckabee's long linger gets laughs on SNL

NEW YORK (AP) -- Even though Mike Huckabee is still battling for the Republican presidential nomination despite long odds, he said Saturday he won't "overstay his welcome."

Mike Huckabee, right, stays beyond his welcome in "Saturday Night Live" segment with Seth Meyers.

Then he did precisely that, lingering on the "Weekend Update" set of "Saturday Night Live" despite repeated cues to leave the stage.

The former Arkansas governor appeared in a "Weekend Update" segment in which he described his confusion over whether it is mathematically impossible for him to win the nomination over front-runner John McCain.

After anchorman Seth Meyers explained the numbers, Huckabee responded: "I'm not a math guy, I'm more of a miracle guy. So at this point I'm gonna focus on the miracle part."

However, he said: "Mike Huckabee does not overstay his welcome. When it's time for me to go, I'll know. And I'll exit out with class and grace."

Then he remained seated at the "Update" desk even though Meyers made it clear it was time for him to leave.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman