It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NYT Succumbs to Pressure on Linking Bush CIA tapes
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:14 pm 

This article is very imporatant reading

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2007/dec20 ... -d21.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:54 am 

Yes, that is important reading. Thank heaven someone is willing to report the truth.

That is what this site is all about--we need truth in our media!

Thank you for that post.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:23 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

What can be said about WSWS that isn't relevant to truth.

Like the look of their new site too.

Quote:
This latest capitulation over the headline of the CIA tapes story is only one more verification of a fundamental trend: the disappearance of anything that could legitimately be described as a “fourth estate,” a genuinely independent media committed to the exposure of abuses of state power and the defense of the democratic rights of the population.

Instead the mass media, itself run by massive capitalist corporations, serves largely as a propaganda arm of the government and the ruling elite, suppressing and distorting information as needed and seeking to shape public opinion to conform to their interests.
Preaching to the choir here at tvnl - that is why Jesse started this site in 2003. Truth sites won't grow or develop because we know who has all the money and who gets it. I have been on so many truth sites today like wsws.org and consortiumnews.com asking for donations and are complaining about the lack of accountability that has led to the imbalance between critical news reporting and those that view news reporting as mere entertainment leading up to the next commercial.

Dori did a post on "Media Is the Key to Democracy" By Robert Parry-
http://www.consortiumnews.com/2007/122007.html -and at the end is a plea for help-

Quote:
Getting Worse
Another hard truth is that this U.S. media imbalance continues to worsen.

Day in/day out, year in/year out, the American Right pours billions and billions of dollars into its media apparatus, with Fox News starting a second network and Rupert Murdoch adding the Wall Street Journal to his empire, not to mention an endless array of well-financed outlets in radio, magazines, newspapers and the Internet.

Meanwhile, many American progressives and liberal foundations remain locked in a dogmatic resistance to investing seriously in media.

When I talk with wealthy progressives, they act as if building honest media is someone else’s responsibility.
That is what we are up against - the people who own the money supply and their distributing agents. On the other side we see what truth does to wealth and this is what they have done-
Quote:
What We’ve Done
At Consortiumnews.com, we have been at this work for more than a dozen years. But we have been perpetually hindered by the refusal of large donors to offer any consistent support. That has undermined our ability to expand and to plan ahead.

We have relied on the generosity of our readers (who have been great), but the sums we have raised simply have been insufficient. That forced us to suspend regular publication in early 2000, just as that pivotal election year was beginning.

Though we managed to keep Consortiumnews.com going on a part-time basis over the next four years, we didn’t have the impact that we should have as George W. Bush took power and veered the nation off in a very dangerous direction.

In 2004, we resumed regular publication amid assurances from some well-to-do progressives that the need for strong media outlets was finally sinking in. But again, the support was spotty at best – and now has dried up completely.

So, that has left us relying again on our readers to achieve a bare-bones goal of $50,000 by the end of the year.

More than halfway through December, we have raised $14,000, with $36,000 to go.

If you have contributed, you have our undying thanks.

If you haven’t yet, please consider a tax-deductible donation either by credit card at the Web site or by check mailed to:

Consortium for Independent Journalism; Suite 102-231; 2200 Wilson Blvd.; Arlington, VA 22201.

You can also contribute by PayPal to our account which is named after our e-mail address: “consortnew@aol.com.”

Well we know that story here at TVNL because Jesse is always on a bare bones economy as well. Choosing to stand against empire and face their barbs and agents of correction are realities that can't be denied. They show up here occasionally covertly and overtly.

:P

http://tvnewslies.org/html/an_urgent_message.html
Quote:
In March of 2003, I decided to start a website that would teach the public how to spot media deception. This action was a response to the outrageous lies being sold to the American people by the corporate news media as the Bush administration was preparing to launch an illegal, immoral and unnecessary war on Iraq.

Public response to my site was so great that I left my professional career and dedicated myself to a full time battle against media deception. Since that time I have had no outside income with which to wage this vital fight. The entire cost of maintaining and operating the site is my own, and has drained me of my personal life savings. In addition, I have been without health insurance since I left my job, despite having developed severe asthma from the fallout of the 9/11 attacks.

I share this with you to emphasize the importance of my purpose, not to evoke sympathy on your part. Getting the truth to the American public has become my most important priority, and I have made some difficult choices towards that end.
So this problem is exascerbated by the fact that they have all the money they need, to buy the people they need, to feed the news they need, to whoever they need to influence. And when you preach to the choir like Faux does, the choir just sings along. Patriots are deaf, dumb and blind before the brilliance of that truth.

So it's left up to us as individuals to help form another branch of the populace that is a force and help these people get the money they need to keep up the fight, and fill in for our 4th estate ex-friend that is so obviously absent from the fray. They suffer so that we can learn the truth. Their sacrifice for what they believe is important and they pay for it- unlike our treasonous press and their supporters do as they reap the profits from their lies, but at the same time America's reputation dies.

Support Jesse and others in their Quixotic quest against monolithic corporatocracy and all its insidious intentions.

So many good causes- too few dollars and not enough real patriots to help! Is it too little too late?

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:20 am 

Quote:
So many good causes- too few dollars and not enough real patriots to help! Is it too little too late?

Every cause worth fighting is always too little too late. But people fight on because it is the right thing to do.

Part of the problem of progressive media is that people who want it are often unable to afford to pay anything in $$$. That is the problem for all good causes, environment, civil rights, women's rights, children, animals, land use, illnesses. And a person who has any money at all to give is inundated with pleas--far too many of them false. If a person has to look up whether an organization is genuine or not, he/she often just gives up.

We have heard of so many politicians having 'charities' as fronts for illegal funding.

One source of information I like that has to plead for funds constantly is LINK TV. There have been some amazing programs on that channel. These are the times when I feel bad to be among the millions in this country that are barely making it. I would love to give to people who are working so hard to educate as many in the public as possible.

And I believe CZ gets credit for that post if I remember correctly. CZ brings us wonderful sources!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

According to Huffington Post, the New York Times "is set to announce that Bill Kristol will become a weekly columnist in 2008" after leaving Time "in what was reported as a 'mutual' decision."

As Media Matters documented, Kristol was chief among a handful of conservative commentators who offered highly optimistic predictions regarding the Iraq war's duration, difficulty, and human and financial costs -- even in the face of evidence to the contrary. But Kristol has not limited himself to misinformation on Iraq; Media Matters has documented numerous instances of conservative misinformation from Kristol on a variety of topics

[url=http://mediamatters.org/items/200712290001]Huff Po: Bill Kristol to Become New York Times Columnist
[/url]

EXAMPLES OF KRISTOL PROPAGANDA ARE AT THE LINK.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:56 am 

Kristol at New York Times. Rove at Newsweek.

Yeah, that liberal press will be the doom of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I understand many people stopped subscribing to TIME when Kristol came on board. I was one of them. I have no idea if that had anything to do with the "mutual" decision that resulted in Kristol leaving TIME. It's fun to think that it was. Maybe the same thing will happen at the NYT? Not bloody likely, but, as Purple Tang likes to say...we can dream, can't we?

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman