It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: McCain Strolls Through Baghdad Market, Accompanied By 100 So
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:16 am 

McCain Strolls Through Baghdad Market, Accompanied By 100 Soldiers, 3 Blackhawks, 2 Apache Gunships

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/04/01/mccain-iraq-stroll/

The comments are worth the time...

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

McCain's little promenade in Baghdad just might be the same thing as "walking the plank" for him and his presidential ambitions. We don't need another president who is out of touch with reality. I hope this is becoming more and more apparent to the voters. This latest stunt is a prime example of McCain's disdain for the American people and especially for our troops.

There are some more links to this story:

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/new ... /post.html

http://time-blog.com/swampland/2007/03/ ... -swampland

http://americablog.blogspot.com/2007/03 ... -safe.html

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

[url=http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/iraqis_call_out_mccain/]Iraqis Call Out McCain
[/url]

Merchants at a Baghdad market have objected to Sen. John McCain’s assertion that his recent visit was evidence of the surge working. Unlike the typical Iraqi shopper, the Republican congressional delegation that visited the Shorja market on Sunday was protected by 100 U.S. soldiers, attack helicopters, body armor and, just to be safe, a contingent of snipers.[size=12][/size]

McCain's Propaganda Promenade! :twisted:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:12 am 

AND there was a sweep beforehand to make sure it was safe. How safe are our military persons? How did this photo op for McCain cost the taxpayers, did it cost any military persons in any way?

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:49 am 

Quote:
Truck bomb kills Iraqi schoolchildren

* James Hider in Baghdad
* April 03, 2007

A NEWBORN baby was one of at least 14 children and adults killed today when a suicide bomber detonated a truck laden with explosives close to a primary school in the northern Iraqi city of Kirkuk.

The latest massacre of Iraqi children came as 21 Shia market workers were ambushed, bound and shot dead north of the capital.

The victims came from the Baghdad market visited the previous day by John McCain, the US presidential candidate, who said that an American security plan in the capital was starting to show signs of progress.

http://tinyurl.com/2xf4kb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I wonder how much McCain's little stroll attracted this attack, just to show the US that McCain's opinion is not only premature, but waaaaay off base. McCain issued his own "Bring'um On" challenge to those who are violently against the American-British-"coalition" occupation of Iraq in coming to Baghdad, running his mouth, and taking his little silly stroll. The people in that truck, and that little newborn baby, paid the ultimate price for McCain's photo op...I hope he's happy.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:40 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Check this out, from the "Intellectual Conservative" blog.

Link: War Hawks Need to Define “Victory

“I would rather fight them over there than fight them over here.” “If we leave Iraq unfinished they will follow us home.” This latter jewel has been repeatedly spouted by Senator McCain, who aspires to the highest office in the land. Work that out for me, Senator McCain. If they could come here then, why can’t they come here now? In fact, it might even be easier since we are distracted with the War.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's a very good and necessary challenge to be given to all of the presidential contenders who are still supporting Bush and the war. In fact, King Fisher posted a message about how the state of Kansas's governor didn't have enough National Guard troops to call out to help the citizens of that state during the recent floods. They were all in Iraq! It's probably true of every state in the union!

Now, we also have that gaunt skeleton head of Homeland Security Chertoff warning of summer terror threats! I think it's amazing and hilariously funny that the terror threat level goes up in direct relation to Bush's approval ratings going down.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:27 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

So, what do reporters say of Baghdad? Maybe they need to travel around Baghdad with a bunch of armed troops and helicopters.

Reporters say Baghdad too dangerous despite surge
Quote:
Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:01am EST | By David Morgan

WASHINGTON, Nov 28 (Reuters) - Nearly 90 percent of U.S. journalists in Iraq say much of Baghdad is still too dangerous to visit, despite a recent drop in violence attributed to the build-up of U.S. forces, a poll released on Wednesday said.

The survey by the Washington-based Pew Research Center showed that many U.S. journalists believe coverage has painted too rosy a picture of the conflict.

The survey from the source.
Quote:
A majority of journalists surveyed say most of the country is too dangerous to visit. Nine out of ten say that about at least half of Baghdad itself. Wherever they go, traveling with armed guards and chase vehicles is the norm for more than seven out of ten surveyed.

Even the basics of getting the story are remarkably difficult. Outside of the heavily-fortified Green Zone, most U.S. journalists must rely on local staff to do the necessary face-to-face reporting. Yet nearly nine out of ten journalists say their local staff cannot carry any equipment -- not even a notebook -- that might identify them as working for the western media for fear of being killed. Some local staffers do not even tell their own families.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:01 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

What the heck does "safe" mean, when it comes to Iraq?

When Bush calls Iraq "safe" enough for Iraqi's return to, is he having us envision "safe" like I feel safe walking to the local coffee shop without fear of being shot at?

Or has "safe" been downgraded such that "sporadic, but deepening bouts of civil war, sprinkled with other violent acts" is now the new "safe"?

Exiled Iraqis too scared to return home despite propaganda push
Quote:
By Patrick Cockburn in Baghdad | Monday, 11 February 2008

To show that Iraq was safe enough for the two million Iraqi refugees in Syria and Jordan to return, the Iraqi government organised a bus convoy last November from Damascus to Baghdad carrying 800 Iraqis home for free.

As a propaganda exercise designed to show that the Iraqi government was restoring peace, it never quite worked. The majority of the returnees said they were returning to Baghdad, not because it was safer, but because they had run out of money in Syria or their visas had expired.

There has been no mass return of the two million Iraqis who fled to Syria and Jordan or a further 2.4 million refugees who left their homes within Iraq. The latest figures from the UN High Commission for Refugees show that, on the contrary, the number of people entering Syria from Iraq was 1,200 a day in late January "while an average of 700 are going back to Iraq from Syria".

The reasons people are not going back, despite new stringent visa regulations in Syria, are that they know Baghdad is very dangerous, the chances of making a living are small and there is a continuing lack of electricity and water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:10 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Channel Zero wrote:
What the heck does "safe" mean, when it comes to Iraq?

When Bush calls Iraq "safe" enough for Iraqi's return to, is he having us envision "safe" like I feel safe walking to the local coffee shop without fear of being shot at?

No. Bush wants Cheney to put the Iraqis in man-sized safes.

Quote:

Post subject: "We're Succeeding in Iraq!" Says John McSame
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

McSame Says We're Succeeding in Iraq!

Presumptive GOP presidential nominee Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) told supporters at a town hall meeting that he, top US commander in Iraq Gen. David Petraeus, and terror mastermind Osama bin Laden all agree about the Iraq war.

"As you probably know, an audiotape ... was released where bin Laden said, and I have to quote bin Laden: 'The nearest field of jihad today to support our people in Palestine ... is the Iraqi field.' He urged Palestinians and people of Syria, Lebanon, Jordan and Saudi Arabia to 'help in support of their mujahideen brothers in Iraq which is the greatest opportunity and the biggest task.'"

McCain followed that with, "For the first time, I have seen Osama bin Laden and Gen. Petraeus in agreement, and that is, the central battleground in the battle against al-Qaeda is in Iraq today! That's what bin Laden is saying, and that's what Gen. Petraeus is saying, and that's what I'm saying, my friends."

The Arizona senator took a swipe at his fall election rivals using a condescending political slur often employed by President George W. Bush: "My Democrat [sic] opponents, who want to pull out of Iraq, refuse to understand what's being said and what's happening, and that is, the central battleground is Iraq in this struggle against radical Islamic extremism. And my friends, we're succeeding."

"We're succeeding. I don't care what anybody says. I've seen the facts on the ground," the Arizona senator insisted a day after a roadside bomb in Baghdad killed four U.S. soldiers and rockets pounded the U.S.-protected Green Zone there, and a wave of attacks left at least 61 Iraqis dead nationwide. The events transpired as bin Laden called on the people of Syria, Lebanon, Jordan and Saudi Arabia to "help in support of their mujahedeen brothers in Iraq, which is the greatest opportunity and the biggest task."

CHENEY SAYS IN INTERVIEW ABOUT TROOP DEATHS: "THEY VOLUNTEERED."

[url=http://abcnews.go.com/WN/Politics/story?id=4513250&page=1]Cheney on Iraq: 'It's Important to Win'
Vice President Discusses Grim Milestone of 4,000 U.S. Dead in Five-Year Iraq War
[/url]

Quote:
...but we are fortunate to have a group of men and women, the all-volunteer force, who voluntarily put on the uniform and go in harm's way for the rest of us."

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:42 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

(Advanced apologies to Roberta Flack.)

Strolling in Iraq.
Watching people turn to dying.
Walking in the dark.
Seeing humanity slipping.

Oh-a-oh-oh-oh
That's the sign
McFudd's brain has yellowed and thickened
That's the time
I feel like whomping his head with a rubber chicken.