It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Archive of Quotes for January 2008
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:13 pm 

Monthly archives contain quotes that been posted for at least one week and had no responses posted. Beginning with this month's archive a tally of views of the quotes prior to being added to the archive will be in this first post. Quotes that have had responses posted will be kept separately and not archived.

January
Quote—Views
1—73
2—68
3—57
4—49
5—49
6—52
7—67
8—64
9—53
10—77
11—62
12—53
13—69
14—62
15—54
16—53
17—44
18—43
19—38
20—55
21—47
22—50
23—42
24—48
25—34
26—38
27—36
28—27
29—29
30—27
31—

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Last edited by A Proud Liberal on Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:10 pm, edited 27 times in total.

Post subject: Quotes for January 1......
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:14 pm 

Quotes for January 1......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Technology "Sometimes decision-makers expect miracles and transformations to follow the purchase and installation of equipment. This fondness for tools and toys can be wasteful, foolish and nonproductive." — Jamie McKenzie

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On Compassionate Conservatism "Unfortunately, the children are very often just the victims of poverty. Unfortunately, a few more children will suffer for the conduct of their parents. But they suffer far more now. What we're trying to do is solve the problems of poverty so there will be fewer poor children." — Rep. E. Clay Shaw (R-FL), Chairman of the House Ways and Means subcommittee on human resources, admitting that the so-called "welfare reform" law cause poor children to suffer deprivation. Peter T. Kilborn, "Shrinking Safety Net Cradles Hearts and Hopes of Poor Children," New York Times, 11-30-96.

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "I'd find the fellow who lost it, and, if he was poor, I'd return."—when asked what he would do if he found a million dollars. — Few sports figures—and indeed, few figures of any endeavor—have achieved the verbal notoriety of Lawrence "Yogi" Berra, former catcher of the New York Yankees. This is one of the indescribable utterances of Hall of Shame member #6.

Liberal Quotes of the Day taken from The Best Liberal Quotes Ever: Why the Left Is Right Compiled by William P. Martin ©2004

Quotes from the Right of the Day taken from Take Them at Their Words: Startling, Amusing and Baffling Quotations from the GOP and Their Friends, 1994-2004 Compiled by Bruce J. Miller with Diana Maio ©2004

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day taken from 1001 Dumbest Things Ever Said Edited by Steven D. Price ©2004

Post subject: Quotes for January 2......
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:15 pm 

Quotes for January 2......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Terrorism "Perhaps the biggest success in the War on Terror has been its ability to distract the nation from the Corporate War on us." — Michael Moore

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On "Corrections Day" or Damn the Public, Full Speed Ahead "As far as I am concerned, the shutdown of non-essential Federal agencies would constitute the fulfillment of my mission as a Member of Congress. However, in the past, the Government has, in fact, shut down temporarily as Congress and the President fought over the details of the funding of the Federal agencies. I suspect that, outside the Capital Beltway, no one noticed when it was shut down." — Rep. Philip M. Crane (R-IL) defending the actions of his party which resulted in a partial shut-down of the government. Congressional Record, E1973, 10-18-95.

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "Think! How the hell are you gonna think and hit at the same time?" — Few sports figures—and indeed, few figures of any endeavor—have achieved the verbal notoriety of Lawrence "Yogi" Berra, former catcher of the New York Yankees. This is one of the indescribable utterances of Hall of Shame member #6.

Liberal Quotes of the Day taken from The Best Liberal Quotes Ever: Why the Left Is Right Compiled by William P. Martin ©2004

Quotes from the Right of the Day taken from Take Them at Their Words: Startling, Amusing and Baffling Quotations from the GOP and Their Friends, 1994-2004 Compiled by Bruce J. Miller with Diana Maio ©2004

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day taken from 1001 Dumbest Things Ever Said Edited by Steven D. Price ©2004

Post subject: Quotes for January 3......
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:17 pm 

Quotes for January 3......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Thought "With our thoughts we make the world." — Buddha

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On Public Enemy: Public Schools "Uncle Sam darkened our doorway and began to dictate to us how to raise our children. The public education system that was established by our founding fathers as a means for teaching every child the word of God became a vehicle for the federal government to turn our children from God and from his law. Our children are taught to tolerate homosexuality, but to frown upon Christianity. To trust teachers and government more than parents and God. Instead of affirming what is taught in the home, our schools have become the enemy of the family." — Carmen Pate, President of Concerned Women for America, 2-98. PFAW.org. {This homophobic bigot misses the point that the founding fathers she refers to are the Puritans NOT the framers of the Constitution who firmly rejected the intermingling of religion and government with the First Amendment. Christ talked about sin throughout the New Testament and never once mentioned homosexuality, but repeatedly preached tolerance and acceptance. Maybe if she truly became more Christ like and less fundamental Christian, she would discover homosexuals in no way threaten her marriage and family.}

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might no get there." — Few sports figures—and indeed, few figures of any endeavor—have achieved the verbal notoriety of Lawrence "Yogi" Berra, former catcher of the New York Yankees. This is one of the indescribable utterances of Hall of Shame member #6.

Post subject: Quotes for January 4......
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:18 pm 

Quotes for January 4......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Tolerance "It rests with the liberals and the tolerant to preserve our civilization. Everything of importance in this world has been accomplished by the free inquiring spirit and the preservation of that spirit is more important than any social system." — John L. Lewis

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On Killing Big Bird "I don't understand why they call it public broadcasting. As far as I am concerned, there's nothing public about it; it's an elitist {code word for an educated public that may figure out how the Republicans, the biggest elitists of all, are screwing them over} enterprise. Rush Limbaugh is public broadcasting." — Newt Gingrich, attacking the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. Charlotte Observer, 3-10-96.

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "I knew I was going to take the wrong train, so I left early." — Few sports figures—and indeed, few figures of any endeavor—have achieved the verbal notoriety of Lawrence "Yogi" Berra, former catcher of the New York Yankees. This is one of the indescribable utterances of Hall of Shame member #6.

Post subject: Quotes for January 5......
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:20 pm 

Quotes for January 5......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Truth "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." — Winston Churchill

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On Caring for Our Health "I was blessed Wednesday by the birth of a grandson, Max Novak. His mother, Angie, left the hospital after one night. She was dying to bring her son home. A new law guaranteeing a 48-hour stay for new mothers was pushed by President Clinton as a campaign gimmick: A classic case of unneeded governmental meddling, further burdening the overburdened health care system." — Robert Novak. "Capital Gang," CNN, 1-25-97. {What this traitorous putz failed to mentioned was the guarantee was to make it available to the new mother if she so wished, no mother would be forced to stay against her will.}

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "If you can't imitate him, don't copy him." — Few sports figures—and indeed, few figures of any endeavor—have achieved the verbal notoriety of Lawrence "Yogi" Berra, former catcher of the New York Yankees. This is one of the indescribable utterances of Hall of Shame member #6.

Post subject: Quotes for January 6......
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:21 pm 

Quotes for January 6......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Voting "The vote is the most powerful instrument ever devised by man for breaking down injustice and destroying the terrible walls which imprison men because they are different from other men." — Lyndon Baines Johnson

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On Earth Day at the GOP "Wherever is environmentally responsible to do so, we will promote market-based programs that are voluntary, flexible, comprehensive, and cost-effective. The Endangered Species Act (ESA), for example, is sometimes counter-productive toward its truly important goal of protecting rare species, 75 percent of which are located on private land. Its punitive approach actually encourages landowners to remove habitat to avoid federal intervention. This serves as a disincentive for private landowners to more to restore habitat and become private stewards of wildlife. The legislation needs incentive-based cooperation among federal, state, local, and tribal governments, and private citizens. The result will be a more effective ESA that better protects wildlife diversity.

. . . research is needed to understand both the cause and the impact of global warming. That is why the Kyoto treaty was repudiated in a lopsided, bipartisan Senate vote. A Republican president will work with businesses and with other nations to reduce harmful emissions through new technologies without compromising America's sovereignty or competitiveness—and without forcing Americans to walk to work."Republican Party Platform 2000. RNC.org.

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." — Few sports figures—and indeed, few figures of any endeavor—have achieved the verbal notoriety of Lawrence "Yogi" Berra, former catcher of the New York Yankees. This is one of the indescribable utterances of Hall of Shame member #6.

Post subject: Quotes for January 7......
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:37 pm 

Quotes for January 7......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On War "The grim fact is that we prepare for war like precocious giants and for peace like retarded pygmies." — Lester Pearson

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "Baseball is 90 percent mental—the other half is physical." — Few sports figures—and indeed, few figures of any endeavor—have achieved the verbal notoriety of Lawrence "Yogi" Berra, former catcher of the New York Yankees. This is one of the indescribable utterances of Hall of Shame member #6.

Post subject: Quotes for January 8......
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:03 am 

Quotes for January 8......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Wealth "The superior person understands rightness; the inferior person understands profit." — Confucius

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "It was impossible to get a conversation going—everybody was talking too much." — Few sports figures—and indeed, few figures of any endeavor—have achieved the verbal notoriety of Lawrence "Yogi" Berra, former catcher of the New York Yankees. This is one of the indescribable utterances of Hall of Shame member #6.

Post subject: Quotes for January 9......
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:18 pm 

Quotes for January 9......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Wisdom "We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us." — Marcel Proust

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On Supporting Our Troops or Veterans' Benefits "The days of the "weekend Warrior" are gone. It's a new world and we need to transition." — Thomas Hall, Assistant Secretary of Defense for Reserve Affairs. Gina Cavallaro, "Army makes deployment clarification; Guard, Reserve units will pull 1-year tours in Iraq," Army Times, 9-22-03.

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "Slump? I ain't in no slump. I just ain't hitting." — Few sports figures—and indeed, few figures of any endeavor—have achieved the verbal notoriety of Lawrence "Yogi" Berra, former catcher of the New York Yankees. This is one of the indescribable utterances of Hall of Shame member #6.

Post subject: Quotes for January 10......
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:53 am 

Quotes for January 10......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Women & Men "What is now called the nature of women is an eminently artificial thing—the result of forced repression in some directions, unnatural stimulation in others." — John Stuart Mill

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On The Clouded Crystal Ball "David Asman, Host: But, Rich, you don't want—you don't want to do these make-work programs, these phony government programs where they manufacture jobs.

Rich Karlgaard, Forbes Publisher: No. No. No. I'll tell you exactly what I would do. You know, when a white collar person loses his or her job, they become a consultant. So what I would do is give massive tax breaks to people who are establishing home offices and trying to become consultants. This is what we need to do . . .""Forbes on Fox," Fox News Channel, 9-6-03.

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "A nickel isn't worth a dime today." — Few sports figures—and indeed, few figures of any endeavor—have achieved the verbal notoriety of Lawrence "Yogi" Berra, former catcher of the New York Yankees. This is one of the indescribable utterances of Hall of Shame member #6.

Post subject: Quotes for January 11......
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:25 pm 

Quotes for January 11......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Work "Diligence overcomes difficulties; sloth makes them." — Benjamin Franklin

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On Say What? "Chris Matthews: When you go down the streets of any major city, there's an area called usually the DMZ where they sell adult books, they sell adult videos. Are they illegal?

Sandy Rios: Well, many of them are. Absolutely.

Matthews: They are?

Rios: Oh, yes because Chris . . .

Matthews: Nobody ever shuts them down.

Rios: Well, I know that. You know what we have found, that law enforcement doesn't even know what's illegal anymore because it is—you know, during the Clinton years, eight years under Reno, obscenity was not prosecuted, and, Chris, what happened was law enforcement has forgotten that it's illegal." — Sandy Rios, Concerned Women for America. "Hardball," MSNBC, 10-31-03.

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "Nobody goes there anymore—it's too crowded." — Few sports figures—and indeed, few figures of any endeavor—have achieved the verbal notoriety of Lawrence "Yogi" Berra, former catcher of the New York Yankees. This is one of the indescribable utterances of Hall of Shame member #6.

Post subject: Quotes for January 12......
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:30 am 

Quotes for January 12......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Writers and Writing "Who is more to be pitied, a writer bound and gagged by policemen or one living in prefect freedom who has nothing more to say?" — Kurt Vonnegut

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "It gets late early out there."—a reference to the visual conditions in Yankee Stadium's left field when the setting sun affects playing fly balls — Few sports figures—and indeed, few figures of any endeavor—have achieved the verbal notoriety of Lawrence "Yogi" Berra, former catcher of the New York Yankees. This is one of the indescribable utterances of Hall of Shame member #6.

Post subject: Quotes for January 13.....
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:58 pm 

Quotes for January 13.....

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Activism "The hands that help are better than the lips that pray." — Robert Ingersoll

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On Civil Wars & Sore Losers "She's a liar. The whole thing stinks to high heaven . . . What beat me was more homosexual money than in any race in history, including from a group called Lesbians for Motherhood . . . She lied her way into office . . . She played the Hispanic card to the utmost." — Rep. Bob Dornan (R-CA) on his loss to Loretta Sanchez. Christopher Georges, "Liars, Gays, Aliens, Hispanics, Women: It's All Their Fault," Wall Street Journal, 11-20-96. {I was living and voting in Orange County at this time. Dornan failed to account for the large Vietnamese immigrant population that had historically voted for him, switched to Sanchez when he beat the "blame everything on immigrants" drum. In subsequent elections, Dornan wasn't even capable of getting the Republican nomination.}

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "Surprise me."—when his wife asked, "Yogi, you are from St. Louis, we live in New Jersey, and you played ball in New York. If you do go before I do, where would you like me to have you buried?" — Few sports figures—and indeed, few figures of any endeavor—have achieved the verbal notoriety of Lawrence "Yogi" Berra, former catcher of the New York Yankees. This is one of the indescribable utterances of Hall of Shame member #6.

Post subject: Quotes for January 14......
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:43 pm 

Quotes for January 14......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On African American "I believe that all men, black, brown, and white, are brothers." — W. E. B. DuBois

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On He Said/He Said "1. [Joe] Wilson never worked for the CIA, but his wife, Valerie Plame, is an Agency operative on weapons of mass destruction. Two senior administration officials told me Wilson's wife suggested sending him to Niger to investigate the Italian report. The CIA says its counter-proliferation officials selected Wilson and asked his wife to contact him. "I will not answer any question about my wife," Wilson told me." — Robert Novak, "Mission to Niger," Chicago Sun-Times, 7-14-03.

"2. I didn't dig it out, it was given to me. They thought it was significant, they gave me the name and I used it." — Robert Novak. Timothy M. Phelps and Knut Royce, "Columnist Blows CIA Agent's Cover," Newsday, 7-22-03.

"3. Nobody in the Bush administration called me to leak this. There is no great crime here." — Robert Novak. "Crossfire," CNN, 9-29-03.

"4. I'm only saying something I have written in print before, that I said that the person who told me was not a political gunslinger. I mean that literally. And that indicates that this was not a—some kind of plot to discredit Ambassador Wilson, that it came about almost incidentally. And that's all I say. " — Robert Novak. "Crossfire," CNN, 1-3-04. {This series of self-serving statements only go to prove that this traitorous putz realized the seriousness of outing a covert CIA agent and no amount of rationalization was going to mitigate the wrong.}

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "Do you mean now?"—when asked for the time — Few sports figures—and indeed, few figures of any endeavor—have achieved the verbal notoriety of Lawrence "Yogi" Berra, former catcher of the New York Yankees. This is one of the indescribable utterances of Hall of Shame member #6.