It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where to buy a year old lab?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:26 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I love labs. My black lab has been almost nothing but abolute joy. Unfortunately, he has grown quite old and I can no longer employ his services as an outdoor watch dog.

My mother bought a female chocolate lab pup with the intent to sell pups to pay for food. Why not...if you have time and space?

Lab pups are prone hyper activity. So I want a male lab that is between 1-3 years old. The paper has lots of pups of course.

Anybody have some experience or knowledge in this?

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:31 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Purple Tang wrote:
Lab pups are prone hyper activity.

My next door neighbor has a golden lab who is almost 10 years old, and is still the most hyper dog I've ever seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:43 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I also had a neighbor with a hyper active golden lab. They are different than black/yellow & chocolate labs. These labs are generally quite mellow upon reaching middle age.

My back yard is ideal for a large dog. Six foot fence and pretty deep.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:09 pm 

Just my two cents worth:
For every dog adopted at shelters, there is one NOT adopted and eventually killed. (I refuse to sugar coat this with the term euthanized.) I am a great lover of dogs but I am unable to own one because of deathly allergies. It is one of my life's greatest ironies. Visit the local shelter, there will be dogs of all sizes and temperaments in need of a good home.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:11 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

A Proud Liberal wrote:
Visit the local shelter, there will be dogs of all sizes and temperaments in need of a good home.

Great idea! Some poor homeless dog would feel incredibly lucky to have a deep back yard with a six foot fence.

The Animal Rescue Site

Dante

My husband and I met via the internet, so when our beloved cat (who detested dogs) passed away, we decided to search the internet for a dog. About two months later we found Dante. He had been about to be euthanized at a shelter when a rescue organization called Zara's List rescued him. He was living at a foster home because of his size, and his profile said he just wanted to be a part of a family — not a "left out in the backyard" dog. We heard his bark at the pet store before his foster dad found us, and once he put the leash in my hand, that was it. We drove home saying to each other, "What have we done? We have a dog!" Right about that time Dante put his head on the armrest between us, and we knew we had made the right decision.

Being dog parents is a huge responsibility, but we have grown into a very happy pack. We even took a doggy vacation this summer to dog-friendly cities along the California coast, and we all had the time of our lives. All the dog hair, muddy paw prints, and multiple bones all over the house are a small price to pay for the unconditional love we get from our Dante.

~Shari & Marc Micheli

California

Last edited by shoeless on Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:15 pm 

Damn, APL, I was just going to give a lecture about buying animals and you kinda beat me to the punch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah...puppy mills stink.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:46 pm 

Here are three internet resources for Lab rescue. The first is general and the last two local to you PT.

LRC : THE RESCUE NETWORK

Safe Harbor Lab Rescue • 601 16th St., #C-322 • Golden, CO 80401 • Hotline: 303.464.7777

Retriever Rescue of Colorado—Denver, CO 80222 303-671-4659

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:39 pm 

Catherine wrote:
Yeah...puppy mills stink.

In more ways than one. Many of the operators make Mrs. Hobbes look humane.

Cheyenne -- What a gorgeous boy! We don't know a lot about this boy, except that he's 8 years old has landed at a shelter because he's no longer being used for breeding. He is being neutered soon and will be available for adoption someone who wants to show him how it feels to live inside, be adored, and have people dote on you. He has a lot of good years left to be your companion.

Link where the story of Cheyenne is but one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:05 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

APL...thanks for the diligent work. I filled out an app with Safe Harbor last night. I was a bit surprised to see the $300 fee for an abandoned lab though a great dog is almost priceless.

One has no idea how great their dog will be.