Nancy 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Linus 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Snoopy 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
write in your own character 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject: Charles Schulz
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:19 am 

Schulz and Peanuts: A Biography

Apparently the book is a piece of imagination from it's author. Nothing like lying about dead people, eh?

A Visit With Charles Schulz

The man who interviewed Schulz and found an enchanting person.

The interview below.

http://mjmgroup.com/schulz.htm

I think I will stick with the cartoons which tell more about Charles Schulz than jaundiced observers do.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:29 am 

I loved him! I still have the comic section of his last Peanuts. I saved it that morning because I was sad it was over, of course, I shortly saved because it was the LAST he ever wrote. I still sometimes read it and it makes me cry. Its like once he stopped writing it, he had nothing to live for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I LOVED those characters! My son used to always ask, "Mom, where are all those kids' parents?" and before he went to school, "Do you talk like Charlie Brown's teacher when you're teaching, Mom?"

I think I identify more with Snoopy. :P

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:10 am 

When I used to write, I wrote as Snoopy would. My two favorite characters of all time are Snoopy and Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh.

Yes, it sounds corny to write as Snoopy, but the letters to the editor got read widely. Lots of comments--mostly people who wanted me dead. Maybe it was the subject matter?

Did some time in a writing club also, and the humor went over well there too.

I miss those days...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:18 pm 

I lived about a quarter mile from Charles Schulz during my junior year in high school. I always admired him for the characters he portrayed and the topics he brought up. It's almost like he was one of the remaining few from the age of innocence. Back before I found out that the US has made over 163 different incursions into the affairs of other nations.

Ah, the good ol' days.

shot in Santa Rosa in 2005

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:25 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Guess who I picked!

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:06 pm 

I identified with the brick wall that Linus and Charlie Brown were leaning on during their most Dostoevskyish conversations.

Last thursday, that wall was bugged via NSA sattelite. But no worries, it was a bipartisan "decision"!

I loved that wall.

I also love some of the borders around the sides of the 1957 cartoons.

One of my favorite cartoons is the one where Lucy takes 59, 000 toys away from Linus, then tosses him a rubber band and says "here have fun with this. So a few panels later hes having lost of fun with the rubber band , and Lucy comes back and yells

"NOT THAT MUCH FUN"

Kind of reminds me of the Corporate Media coverage of the Democratic primaries this time around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:23 pm 

Thank you for the interesting 'identification'. Never thought in those terms. I love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:48 pm 

nathaniel heidenheimer wrote:
I identified with the brick wall that Linus and Charlie Brown were leaning on during their most Dostoevskyish conversations.

Last thursday, that wall was bugged via NSA sattelite. But no worries, it was a bipartisan "decision"!

I loved that wall.

I also love some of the borders around the sides of the 1957 cartoons.

One of my favorite cartoons is the one where Lucy takes 59, 000 toys away from Linus, then tosses him a rubber band and says "here have fun with this. So a few panels later hes having lost of fun with the rubber band , and Lucy comes back and yells

"NOT THAT MUCH FUN"

Kind of reminds me of the Corporate Media coverage of the Democratic primaries this time around.

Let's not forget that the corporate media owns the Democrats as well as the Republicans.

Rupert Murdoch Loves Hillary Clinton

Let's not forget that the above was back in May, 2006.

Democrats and Iran: Look Who Supports Bush's Next War

Quote:
As Obama told the Chicago Tribune on September 26, 2004, "[T]he big question is going to be, if Iran is resistant to these pressures [to stop its nuclear program], including economic sanctions, which I hope will be imposed if they do not cooperate, at what point ... if any, are we going to take military action?"

He added, "[L]aunching some missile strikes into Iran is not the optimal position for us to be in" given the ongoing war in Iraq. "On the other hand, having a radical Muslim theocracy in possession of nuclear weapons is worse." Obama went on to argue that military strikes on Pakistan should not be ruled out if "violent Islamic extremists" were to "take over."

Quote:
Senator John Kerry echoed this sentiment on May 29, 2004, when he told the Washington Post that the Bush Administration has not "been tough on the [Iran] issue … which is the issue of nuclear weaponry, and again just like I said with North Korea, you have to keep your eye on the target."

Quote:
In fact, while campaigning for president, Dean contended that President Bush had been far too soft on Iran. In a March appearance on CBS' Face The Nation, Dean even went so far as to say that "[President Bush] is beholden to the Saudis and the Iranians."

Foreign Policy expert Stephen Zunes wrote of the Democrats' platform in Foreign Policy in Focus on August 12, 2004:

"One possible target for American forces under a Kerry administration is Iran. The platform implies an American right to such military intervention by stating that 'a nuclear-armed Iran is an unacceptable risk to us and our allies.' No concern is expressed, however, about the already-existing nuclear arsenals of Iran's neighbor Pakistan or of nearby Israel. Iran has called for a nuclear-free zone in the region, which the Democrats appear to reject, apparently because it would require America's regional allies to get rid of their nuclear arsenals as well. The Democrats, like the Republicans, believe that instead of pushing for multilateral and verifiable arms control treaties, the United States can effectively impose a kind of nuclear apartheid, unilaterally determining which countries can have nuclear weapons and which countries cannot."

So are we really supposed to believe the Democrats will ever offer up any significant opposition to Bush's military dabbling in Iran?

Not unless by "opposition to" you mean "support for."

I'm sorry, but I believe in peace, not perpetual war and certainly not preemptive strike. The Democrats are just as bad as the Republicans. Their policies are almost completely identical.

My apologies to have brought that up on a thread about a great personage like Charles Schulz. I felt that something needed to be said about the statement by nathan. I have always admired Schulz and his characters. I grew up with them and have always felt priviledged having lived so close to him. In fact, everytime I return to the Santa Rosa/Sebastopol area, I make sure I get pictures of the many hommages made to this great man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:03 am 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

He surely is missed.

Best regards & stay safe
COMSEUR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:32 am 

Amazing how a person said to battle depression through his lifetime could make his way into so many hearts, isn't it!

Thank you all for the thoughts and pictures. Charles Schulz is indeed a very special person (and I say 'is' because he lives on in his cartoons.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Charles Schulz was indeed a great man. I love some of his quotes:

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”

"I love mankind. It's people I can't stand."

"Sometimes I lie awake at night, and ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night."

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It is already tomorrow in Australia."

“Try not to have a good time...this is supposed to be educational.”

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:56 pm 

Another one from 2006.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:05 am 

Please do not stand on statue? Does that come into the "I love mankind. It's people I can't stand." category?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:09 pm 

dori,

I guess they were having a problem with children being hoisted up on those sculptures in order to pose for a picture for "Daddy." They were made of either paper maché or fiberglass or something that seemed very light weight. Every year they come up with a new theme and local artists submit ideas.

The Che T-shirt I bought in Torrremolinos, Spain.