It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where do Pres. candidates stand on Gaza conflict
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:51 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Ali Abunimah, co-founder of the online publication The Electronic Intifada and the author of One Country: A Bold Proposal to End the Israeli-Palestinian Impasse.

This man was so astute as to the goings on in Gaza and Isreal/US policies coming to fruition- the displacement of the people of Gaza as a solution to Israel's problems. This site has more on the conflict.
http://www.electronicintifada.net/

Where do the contenders for the presidency stand? Here's some stuff that might interest you, and it turns out, he knew Barack Obama for a while.

http://www.democracynow.org/2008/1/24/w ... ders_stand

Quote:
ALI ABUNIMAH: Well, I’d like to say that the suffering in Gaza has been so unremitting and so horrible and will continue. But I think we have to recognize and celebrate the resistance and the people power of the people in Gaza. And we have to recognize that there has been a deliberate siege on them by Israel, a decision taken by the leaders of

The government of Egypt has been complicit in this. They could have opened the borders months ago. Israel has been besieging Gaza for almost two years in this way. Egypt didn’t have to wait until Palestinians took matters into their own hands to free themselves from this barbaric siege.

The United States is complicit. And, by the way, Amy, this is another setback for the Bush Doctrine. The people of Gaza have been the victims of an experiment by the Bush administration and Israel, where, first of all, they had a democratic election. The US and Israel didn’t like that result, so they tried to overthrow Hamas using Contra-style militias and using a starvation siege. Hamas turned the tables on them and got rid of those militias. So they decided to tighten the siege on the people of Gaza, and the people of Gaza decided to break out of it themselves.........<snip>........ don’t know if they’ve been asked in a debate, but whenever they have been asked, they have all gone out of their way to express full support for what Israel is doing. Barack Obama is not distinguished from the rest of the pack, except by for how far he has moved to try to appease AIPAC and pro-Israel movements.

I remember, Amy—I knew Barack Obama for many years as my state senator—when he used to attend events in the Palestinian community in Chicago all the time. I remember personally introducing him onstage in 1999, when we had a major community fundraiser for the community center in Deheisha refugee camp in the occupied West Bank. And that’s just one example of how Barack Obama used to be very comfortable speaking up for and being associated with Palestinian rights and opposing the Israeli occupation. And just yesterday, he apparently sent a letter to Zalmay Khalilzad, the US ambassador at the UN, to urge the US not to allow any resolution to pass criticizing Israel and saying how Israel was forced to impose this barbaric medieval siege on Israel.

None of the other candidates in the mainstream have spoken out for Palestinian rights. The only ones who have taken forceful positions opposing the current US strategy are Dennis Kucinich on the Democratic side and Ron Paul on the Republican side. The mainstream are all perfectly comfortable with the war crimes that Israel is committing, no matter how much they talk about human rights elsewhere.

He goes on to speak about Hillary and Edwards as well as the Repubs. it is well worth reasding to get an idea how far and how much influence these people will go to push their agendas.

Quote:
For example, a couple of years ago, she went and staged a photo opportunity in an Israeli settlement by the apartheid wall and talked about how the wall was necessary. This wall, of course, which has been condemned as illegal by the International Court of Justice, which has ordered Israel to tear it down, Hillary Clinton went and stood in front of it and endorsed it.

And we’ve seen that time and again. John Edwards, the same, staunchly pro-Israel. On the Republican side, you have John McCain, who talks like a maverick on other issues, but on this one he has gone out of his way to offer full support for Israel. You have Huckabee, who is on the Christian evangelical right, that is historically not very friendly towards Jewish people, but is very strongly pro-Israel for reasons of biblical prophecy. And Huckabee, who is—according to a report in the Jerusalem Post, talked about a Palestinian state in Egypt or Saudi Arabia, so really talking about the forced transfer or ethnic cleansing of the Palestinians as a solution. That, unfortunately, is the level of discourse.

He goes on about Romney but the key here is what kind of monsters do we have running here. Looks like the only ones that may be sincere are Kucinich and Paul. The others are just corporate owned puppets of the dumbed down American public. This election I predict will be a worse disaster than W stealing the presidency last two times. If this is what we're voting for, it's time to do something crazy and vote for the least candidate who has the best chance to beat these creatures from below.

Quote:
And many Muslims feel that they are now the targets of a hysteria, which is similar or has even become worse than the anti-communist hysteria of the 1950s, where Islamic militancy is under every bed and where any form of resistance, any form of resistance to US imperialism, to Israeli colonization and occupation, is defined as extremism. And there’s nobody who’s—you’re not even allowed to go and get food for your family from Egypt if you’re starving without being called an extremist, without being accused of militancy or terrorism. That’s level we’ve reached.

No resistance is permitted, Amy. But what we’ve seen from Gaza and what we’ve seen time and again in Lebanon is that resistance will continue, that people will not quietly accept the fate that has been designed for them in the boardrooms of the Pentagon and the White House and the Defense Ministry in Tel Aviv. People will resist.

Please resist these elites and flush them all down the toilet the walking shits. There isn't one among them who isn't to be suspected as a traitor or a nazi. resist the urge to just go along with it and make your vote count- now more than ever.

Peoples lives hang in the balance, maybe even ours.

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.

Post subject: Re: Where do Pres. candidates stand on Gaza conflict
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:08 pm 

DO.g's wrote:
Quote:
ALI ABUNIMAH: . . . None of the other candidates in the mainstream have spoken out for Palestinian rights. The only ones who have taken forceful positions opposing the current US strategy are Dennis Kucinich on the Democratic side and Ron Paul on the Republican side. The mainstream are all perfectly comfortable with the war crimes that Israel is committing, no matter how much they talk about human rights elsewhere.

He goes on about Romney but the key here is what kind of monsters do we have running here. Looks like the only ones that may be sincere are Kucinich and Paul. The others are just corporate owned puppets of the dumbed down American public. This election I predict will be a worse disaster than W stealing the presidency last two times. If this is what we're voting for, it's time to do something crazy and vote for the least candidate who has the best chance to beat these creatures from below.

Another brick in the wall for supporting Kucinich. The really scary thing is that Paul can be so right on some issues for all the wrong reasons. His eventual third party candidacy cannot be allowed to split the anti-war vote; it should rightfully be the bigot buster vote spliter.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:40 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I seriously doubt that we will elect a more monstrous administration since Giuliano has apparently gone south.

Sure they froth at the mouth at the idea of turning the Middle East into glass.

Wait a minute.......

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject: Re: Where do Pres. candidates stand on Gaza conflict
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:42 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

DO.g's wrote:
This election I predict will be a worse disaster than W stealing the presidency last two times.

Not possible.