It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Huckabee, Obama Win...Now What?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Put your creative juices to flowing and write some predictions about what the future holds for us if either of these men becomes the next president!

Feel free to include any of the other candidates, too... :twisted:

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:32 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

If either wins, expect a departure from the Bush years, Obama moreso than Huckabee.

Getting out of Iraq will be key. I trust Obama will stand by his pledge more than Huckabee. Although is talking about withdrawal, he's mentioned it as a phased thing and this desire to "win" while doing so. Oh brother.

After that, one will hopefully push for more of a socially supportive agenda and one will be regressive.

Some anti tax conservatives have blasted Huckabee for his tax record. In Arkansas, he has a record of working with his states democratic legislature in doing compromises. But man, if a republican lead congress returns, ho nelly!

Obama and a democratic congress could advance social change, whether that will include stronger health care reform remains to be seen.

I don't know now much can be chewed off in a democratic presidency, so I hope they can tackle health care reform, first.

But I'd love to see changes in college tuition costs, as well.

I'd like to see stronger regulation against toxins in our US marketed products like they have in the EU.

Get out of NAFTA? And any of these other phony FTA's?

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Last edited by Channel Zero on Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:10 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Huckabee will be indecisive sending trial balloons out as often as he can while having to please his religious right supporters. There will be chaos.

Obama will try to implement changes to the structure, but the foundation will rise up and crush him, possibly leading to his execution.

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:24 pm 

Catherine wrote:
Huckabee, Obama Win...Now What?

I have until now studiously avoided making any claim of support for any candidate. Like I state in my blog profile I started my political activities by working for McGovern and have tilted at windmills ever since. In 1976 a dead mushroom was going to win against whatever Republican was running, the Repugs were near death because of Tricky Dick. (In retrospect, Reagan should be thankful he was unsuccessful at replacing Ford, he would have lost the general.) I worked for Carter in 1976 and 1980, I was a strong supporter of Mondale and Dukakis in 84 and 88. I was anti-Bush and anti-Dole in 92 and 96, voting for but never really comfortable with Clinton. I have always felt that members of Democratic Leadership Conference (DLC), were just opportunists trying to do whatever was necessary to get elected without true progressive agendas. I worked and voted for Gore and Kerry in their stolen elections. I continue to be in a state of mourning over those elections. Bush/Cheney have been such an unmitigated disaster that the Repugs should be in the same death throes as 1976. However, I'm not really sure I will ever feel the same about elections ever again, it seems the fix is in and there's nothing I can do about it. The Iowa caucus did gel my thoughts somewhat. Kucinich proved himself unable to become a viable candidate and I just am left with a bad taste from Edwards' quick concession in the 2004 election. So, I have decided my efforts in the 08 primary season will be to draft Gore. It is time to elect a Nobel Peace Prize winner after he was won the prize. It is time to elect someone who fights for our lives and environment. Someone who has been right about Iraq from the beginning. He won before, he should be able to win again. He is NOT beholden to the corporations or lobbyists. Probably just another windmill but I never did vote for someone because they were the most popular just the best qualified.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:58 pm 

Quote:
I have always felt that members of Democratic Leadership Conference (DLC), were just opportunists trying to do whatever was necessary to get elected without true progressive agendas.

I have always thought they were actually Rs, they sure sound like them.

Quote:
I just am left with a bad taste from Edwards' quick concession in the 2004 election

I believe Edwards tried his best to convince Kerry not to conceed but it was Kerry's campaign and Kerry's decision.

I think you have summed up my feelings about politics very well APL. I am an FDR liberal, do not belong to any party but have never voted for an R. And meeting people such as you is why I love my computer so much.

So good to have thoughtful people in this world!

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Huckabee will not be a good president. NO Rethug will be a good prez at this juncture of our nation's history.

I don't think Huckabee is any smarter than Bush is...and he looks far too much like Richard Nixon, he thinks women should submit to their husbands, and ....he has a son who is cruel to animals and Huckabee is known to have tried to cover up the cruelty crime that resulted in his fat, obviously retarded offspring being kicked out of Boy Scouts...yep, ole Huck is a real responsible leader! :roll:

Obama will make a better prez but I do not like him as well as I do Edwards. If it can't be Kucinich...I'm hoping EDWARDS.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:27 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Edwards is the only one not taking corporate money and he is sworn to help the poor. How will he raise more funds now? It's up to the little guy to fork over the funds or he will have to reach down deep in his pocket, and maybe avoid a haircut or two.

Besides, Jesse's prediction that the Biderberger's picked Edwards last year as their main man is still happening, what with his unexpected victory. :roll: Unexpected; except for Jesse.

I see the self proclaimed underdog sneaking in after Clinton bows out and gives him her votes. But it wouldn't matter, because the other Bilderberger candidate Obama will do the same for his fellow Bilderberger Edwards and it will all seem legitimate again. It all depends on who is supposed to be VP. :wink:

I'm still sticking with Jesse.

the choice chooses them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Edwards is the only one not taking corporate money and he is sworn to help the poor. How will he raise more funds now? It's up to the little guy to fork over the funds or he will have to reach down deep in his pocket, and maybe avoid a haircut or two.

Too bad that so much negative press was given to John Edward's wealth... and a haircut ....while other candidates from both parties of similar wealth and similar personal practices have been allowed to continue on unscathed.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:16 am 

Catherine wrote:
Too bad that so much negative press was given to John Edward's wealth... and a haircut ....while other candidates from both parties of similar wealth and similar personal practices have been allowed to continue on unscathed.

They don't have the "bad manners" to remind us about the poor. I notice there was no discussion what Elizabeth Edwards was doing when John withdrew; just speculation on my part but I pray her health hasn't taken a turn for the worst.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:59 am 

I hadn't thought of that APL. I hope Elizabeth Edwards is doing okay also.

But it would explain the sudden departure...

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:36 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

That is a good point, but they went into the race knowing what was happening to her. I guess when the pressure of defeat was obvious, her health could become a concern, but America is sick too and needs the best people to bring her back to health first and foremost as well.

Time is ticking and the messages must be prioritized. We needed Edwards now that Kucinich has also left. Not many voices left for the people anymore.

the choice chooses them