It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Archive of Quotes for February 2008
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:53 pm 

Monthly archives contain quotes that been posted for at least one week and had no responses posted. Beginning with January's archive a tally of views of the quotes prior to being added to the archive is in this first post. Quotes that have had responses posted will be kept separately and not archived.

February
Quote—Views
1—35
2—31
3—37
4—35
5—37
6—35
7—34
8—27
9—41
10—35
11—34
12—31
13—32
14—29
15—22
16—22
17—22
18—22
19—28
20—31
21—34
22—25
23—30
24—Has Rsponses Will Not Be Archived
25—34
26—Has Rsponses Will Not Be Archived
27—33
28—47
29—39

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Last edited by A Proud Liberal on Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:31 am, edited 26 times in total.

Post subject: Quotes for February 1......
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:56 pm 

Quotes for February 1......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Character "It is not the brains that matter most, but that which guides them—the character, the heart, generous qualities, progressive ideas." — Fyodor Dostoevsky

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On The Gender Gap "About the two 18-year-olds who are charged with having chosen to kill their seven-and-a-half-pound boy, putting his body in a trash bag in the motel's dumpster: Don't young people read newspapers? Don't they know that, thanks to President Clinton, they could have chosen to have a doctor suck their baby's brains out, and Delaware would not have chosen to charge them with murder?" — George Will, "An Abortion Choice," Washington Post, 11-24-96.{No you dumb ass George, they don't read newspapers—they're too busy listening to their elders tell them they're going to hell for getting pregnant in the first place and getting no information on contraception.}

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "I didn't really say everything I said." — Few sports figures—and indeed, few figures of any endeavor—have achieved the verbal notoriety of Lawrence "Yogi" Berra, former catcher of the New York Yankees. This is one of the indescribable utterances of Hall of Shame member #6.

Liberal Quotes of the Day taken from The Best Liberal Quotes Ever: Why the Left Is Right Compiled by William P. Martin ©2004

Quotes from the Right of the Day taken from Take Them at Their Words: Startling, Amusing and Baffling Quotations from the GOP and Their Friends, 1994-2004 Compiled by Bruce J. Miller with Diana Maio ©2004

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day taken from 1001 Dumbest Things Ever Said Edited by Steven D. Price ©2004

Post subject: Quotes for February 2......
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:10 pm 

Quotes for February 2......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Children "There is no such thing as other people's children." — Hillary Rodham Clinton

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On Their Cold Dead Hands "Here's the evidence so far: Three people saw him in front of the building, he didn't react to pictures of dead babies, and he's not talking or cooperating. . . . How is supposed to react? Is he supposed to break down on his hands and knees and go, "boo-hoo-hoo, it's so horrible what happened"?" — Spencer Hughes, morning host at KSFO AM in San Francisco, defending accused bomber Timothy McVeigh. Kevin Berger, "Hate Radio," San Francisco Examiner, 5-1-95.

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports ""A lot of people my age are dead at the present time." — Charles "Casey" Stengel, New York Yankees Hall of Fame Manager, was another master of obfuscation, Stengel is Hall of Shame member #7.

Liberal Quotes of the Day taken from The Best Liberal Quotes Ever: Why the Left Is Right Compiled by William P. Martin ©2004

Quotes from the Right of the Day taken from Take Them at Their Words: Startling, Amusing and Baffling Quotations from the GOP and Their Friends, 1994-2004 Compiled by Bruce J. Miller with Diana Maio ©2004

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day taken from 1001 Dumbest Things Ever Said Edited by Steven D. Price ©2004

Post subject: Quotes for February 3......
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:50 pm 

Quotes for February 3......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Church-State Separation "I pledge allegiance to my flag and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." — Original Pledge of Allegiance

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On Respecting Our Elders "My grandparents' generation thought being on the government dole was disgraceful, a blight on the family's honor. Today's senior citizens blithely cannibalize their grandchildren because they have a right to get as mush "free" stuff as the political system will them to extract . . . . Big government is the drug of choice for multinational corporations and single moms, for regulated industries and rugged Midwestern farmers, and militant senior citizens." — Judge Janice Rogers Brown, Bush nominee for a seat on the Federal Appeals Court in Washington. Her nomination has been filibustered by the Senate Democrats. "Fifty ways to lose your freedom," speech to the Institution of Justice, 8-12-00.

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "I was not very good at pulling teeth, but my mother loved my work."—on his early career as a dentist — Charles "Casey" Stengel, New York Yankees Hall of Fame Manager, was another master of obfuscation, Stengel is Hall of Shame member #7.

Post subject: Quotes for February 4......
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:56 am 

Quotes for February 4......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Civil Liberties "If the fires of freedom and civil liberties burn low in other lands they must be made brighter in our own." — Franklin D. Roosevelt

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On The Art of Diplomacy "Japan knew how to take an ass-kicking and they were honorable about it instead of jumping up and turning around and spitting in our faces." — Roe Conn, referring to Japan's defeat in WWII and condemning Germany's attitude the Iraq war. "Rode and Gary Show," WLS-AM 890, 3-25-3.

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "All right, everybody line up alphabetically according to your height." — Charles "Casey" Stengel, New York Yankees Hall of Fame Manager, was another master of obfuscation, Stengel is Hall of Shame member #7.

Post subject: Quotes for February 5......
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:15 am 

Quotes for February 5......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Civil Rights "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." — Martin Luther King, Jr.

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On Cakewalk: Ongoing War "The cost of the war will be small. We can afford the war, and we'll put it behind us." — Treasury Secretary John W. Snow before the House Ways and Means Committee. David E. Rosenbaum, "tax cuts and war have seldom mixed," New York Times, 3-9-03.

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "I would not admire hitting against Ryne Duren, because if he ever hit you in the head, you might be in the past tense." — Charles "Casey" Stengel, New York Yankees Hall of Fame Manager, was another master of obfuscation, Stengel is Hall of Shame member #7.

Post subject: Quotes for February 6......
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:48 am 

Quotes for February 6......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Class "Class interests are best served when masked as national interests." — Unknown

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On Treaties No, New Nukes Yes "To date, more than 50 generals, admirals and senior foreign policy leaders have come out in opposition to the treaty, including, I might add, defense secretaries of every single Republican administration since Nixon . . . . if the [Clinton] administration continues to stonewall, and refuses to address senators' concerns on the treaty's verifiability, constitutionality, universality and crushing effect on business, their opposition to making essential changes will ensure the Senate never ratifies the Chemical Weapons Convention." — Sen. Jesse Helms (R-NC), Chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, responding to President Clinton's call for passage of an international treaty outlawing chemical weapons. Thomas W. Lippman, "Sen. Helms Offers List of Treaty Opponents," Washington Post, 4-5-97.

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "Left-handers have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side." — Charles "Casey" Stengel, New York Yankees Hall of Fame Manager, was another master of obfuscation, Stengel is Hall of Shame member #7.

Post subject: Quotes for February 7......
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:08 am 

Quotes for February 7......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Compassion "Before you speak, ask yourself if what you are going to say is true, is kind, is necessary, is helpful. If the answer is no, maybe what you are about to say should be left unsaid." — Bernard Meltzer

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "As great as the other men were on the ball club, there comes a time when you get a weakness and it might be physical." — Charles "Casey" Stengel, New York Yankees Hall of Fame Manager, was another master of obfuscation, Stengel is Hall of Shame member #7.

Post subject: Quotes for February 8......
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:00 am 

Quotes for February 8......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Conformity "Born originals, how comes it to pass that we die copies?" — Edward Young

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On Treason, Traitors, Freedom-Fried Frenchmen "The hindsight of history has shown that our efforts in the 1960s to end the war in Vietnam had two practical effects. The first was to prolong the war itself. Every testimony by North Vietnamese generals in the postwar years has affirmed that they knew they could not defeat the United States on the battlefield, and that they counted on the division of our people at home to win the war for them . . . The blood of hundreds of thousands of Vietnamese, and tens of thousands of Americans, is on the hands of the anti-war activists who prolonged the struggle and gave victory to the Communists.

The second effect of the war was to surrender South Vietnam to the forces of Communism. This resulted in the imposition of a monstrous police state, the murder of hundreds of thousands of innocent South Vietnamese, the incarceration in "Re-education camps" of hundreds of thousands more, and a quarter of a century of abject poverty imposed by crackpot Marxist economic plans, which continue to this day. This too, is the responsibility of the so-called anti-war movement of the 1960s.

I say "so-called anti-war movement," because while many Americans were sincerely troubled by America's war effort, the organizers of this movement were Marxists and radicals who supported a Communist victory and an American defeat. Today the same people and their youthful followers are organizing the campus demonstrations against America's effort to defend its citizens against the forces of international terrorism and anti-American hatred, responsible for the September attacks.

If I have one regret from my radical years, it is that this country was too tolerant towards the treason of its enemies within. If patriotic Americans had been vigilant in the defense of their country, if they had called things by their right names, if they had confronted us with the seriousness of our attacks, they might have caught the attention of those of us who were well-meaning but utterly misguided. And they might have stopped us in our tracks . . ." — David Horowitz, "Horowitz's Notepad: An Open Letter to the 'Anti-War' Demonstrators: Think Twice Before You Bring the War Home,' FrontPageMag.com, 9-27-01. {I note that Horowitz falls short of calling himself traitor preferring the label of radical. This supreme flip-flopper finds it necessary to blame everyone else and not have the integrity to shoulder the responsibility himself; might it be that his current stance is one of convenience and not any real conviction?}

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "Good pitching will always stop good hitting and vice versa." — Charles "Casey" Stengel, New York Yankees Hall of Fame Manager, was another master of obfuscation, Stengel is Hall of Shame member #7.

Post subject: Quotes for February 9......
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:56 pm 

Quotes for February 9......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Conscience "I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year's fashions." — Lillian Hellman

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "I couldn't have done it without my players." — Charles "Casey" Stengel, New York Yankees Hall of Fame Manager, was another master of obfuscation, Stengel is Hall of Shame member #7.

Post subject: Quotes for February 10......
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:35 am 

Quotes for February 10......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Conservatives "The conundrum of modern political conservatism is that its superstitious worship of market forces brings about the disruption of the very family and communities that it claims to revere." — Gary Hart

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "I don't know if he throws a spitball, but he sure spits on the ball." — Charles "Casey" Stengel, New York Yankees Hall of Fame Manager, was another master of obfuscation, Stengel is Hall of Shame member #7.

Post subject: Quotes for February 11......
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:50 pm 

Quotes for February 11......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Corporate Power "CORPORATION, n: An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." — Ambrose Bierce

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "My health is good enough about the shoulders." — Charles "Casey" Stengel, New York Yankees Hall of Fame Manager, was another master of obfuscation, Stengel is Hall of Shame member #7.

Post subject: Quotes for February 12......
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:02 pm 

Quotes for February 12......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Courage "Few are willing to brave the disapproval of their fellows, the censure of their colleagues, the wrath of their society. Moral courage is a rarer commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence." — Robert F. Kennedy

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On Anti-War Republicans, Clinton Era "Who in America would willing send their son or daughter to die in the Balkans based upon the President's explanation of the events? President Clinton has put our troops in precarious positions over and over again. We should say today that not one service man or woman should be placed in harm's way based upon the President's empty threats or hollow promises." — Rep. Cliff Stearns (R-FL). Congressional Record, H2413, 4-28-99. {Rep. Stearns has been oddly silent at Bush's empty threats and hollow promises.}

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "The team has come along slow but fast." — Charles "Casey" Stengel, New York Yankees Hall of Fame Manager, was another master of obfuscation, Stengel is Hall of Shame member #7.

Post subject: Quotes for February 13......
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:56 pm 

Quotes for February 13......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Crime "Crime is naught but misdirected energy." — Emma Goldman

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On War Is Hell "New Bridge Strategies, LLC is a unique company that was created specifically with the aim of assisting clients to evaluate and take advantage of business opportunities in the Middle East following the conclusion of the U.S.-led war in Iraq. Its activities will seek to expedite the creation of free and fair markets and new economic growth in Iraq, consistent with the policies of the Bush Administration. The opportunities evolving in Iraq today are of such unprecedented nature and scope that no other existing firm has the necessary skills and experience to be effective both in Washington D.C. and on the ground in Iraq. It is for this reason that we have created New Bridge Strategies and brought together the knowledge of American business professionals with over 25 years of experience in Iraq and throughout the Middle East and the political experience of some of the most success government and political professionals in Washington, D.C., and London to a complete package of business services offering:

—Assistance to companies engaging the U.S. Government process to develop post war opportunities
—Identification of market opportunities and potential partners
—On-the-ground support in Iraq
—Legal, technical, cultural and potentially financial support for ventures
—New Bridge Strategies maintains a physical presence with staff on the ground in Beirut, Damascus, Geneva, Houston and Washington, D.C., and it has plans to expand into Iraq as soon as possible.

New Bridge Strategies principals have years of public policy experience, have held positions in the Reagan Administration and both Bush Administrations and are particularly well suited to working with international agencies in the Executive Branch, Department of Defense and the U.S. Agency for International Development, the American rebuilding apparatus and establishing early links to Congress. Also, because of their long history of work in the Middle East and Iraq, they possess Arabic-language skills and business expertise in fields such as: telecommunications; real estate; food and beverages; energy; oil and gas; manufacturing; high-technology and distribution.

In addition to this core mission, New Bridge Strategies also will be able to provide risk-management and financial services in Iraq through its affiliates Diligence, LLC a premier global risk-consulting, corporate intelligence, due diligence and investigative research company staffed by former Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and other intelligence agency personnel which is based in Miami, London and Washington, D.C., and Milestone Merchant Partners, a merchant bank with offices in Washington, D.C., Miami, and New Jersey.

The events unfolding in Iraq and the rest of the Middle East following the fall of the Hussein regime are giving rise to unprecedented opportunities for government and private enterprise to partner in the massive undertaking of rebuilding Iraq. The U.S. Government in Washington, D.C., as well as the postwar government in Iraq will need to rely on the economic strength and willingness of large, international companies in neighboring countries to participate in the new Iraqi economy. New Bridge Strategies is providing the flexible and complete solutions as well as entrepreneurial ability necessary for companies seeking to open a path to these unique opportunities and engage in both long and short-term Iraqi business projects." — From the website of New Bridge Strategies, a firm headed by Joe M. Allbaugh, who was George W. Bush's campaign manager in 2000. The firm was founded in May 2003. newbridgestrategies.com.

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "If anyone wants me, tell them I'm being embalmed." — Charles "Casey" Stengel, New York Yankees Hall of Fame Manager, was another master of obfuscation, Stengel is Hall of Shame member #7.

Post subject: Quotes for February 14......
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:51 pm 

Quotes for February 14......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Culture "That is true culture which helps us to work for the social betterment of all." — Henry Ward Beecher

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "If we're going to win the pennant, we've got to start thinking we're not as good as we think we are." — Charles "Casey" Stengel, New York Yankees Hall of Fame Manager, was another master of obfuscation, Stengel is Hall of Shame member #7.