It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Consumerism
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:53 am 
Involved
Involved

Hi I have just signed up to these forums, i love a good conspiracy.
I have a thick skin and am happy to debate anything you can throw at me :)
Please to meet you all.
rather than start all nice and happy.
i thought id drop this in to start a conversation...
give me your best shot at why you think its ok to live this throw away lifestyle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGVa6H8S3W0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:59 am 

Your point? Nothing here to debate. :?:

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:05 am 
Involved
Involved

what can be done, its clear we cant sustain it. how do we inform?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:17 am 

If you had taken any time at all to look through the board, you would have discovered some things, such as:
1. New members are asked to introduce themselves. See posting guidelines.
2. Subjects that are posted for serious discussion are backed up with facts and ideas, not just one line throw away challenges.
3. Posts that are trolling in nature, i.e. looking for a fight, are not welcomed.

That being said if you truly wish discussion—asking baited questions will get you none, but reasonable thought out proposals are always welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:29 am 
Involved
Involved

not at all looking for a fight.
should i have added more smilies to hint at the jest.

Rather have some discussion on why we all know this is happening but cant as a collective sort it out? Can we not see past our morgage while we are slaved to our jobs? that is my feeling and it affects me this way so i am a guilty consumer at times.

but you have my word i wont get offended or use foul derogerative language. i promise :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:00 am 
Involved
Involved

heres some more of his work
http://www.chrisjordan.com/current_set2.php?icl=7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:53 am 

With dial-up it took forever for the pictures to come in. Wonderful approach--sighting numbers rather than just saying them.

I recommend this link to anyone who questions whether we are being wasteful in America. And I wonder how anyone can say we have no effect on the earths climate.

Thank you for the link, RageUnderground.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:22 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I believe that we have become such a throw-away society because we like instant gratification. We are greedy and want it NOW. We want that SUV, that huge television, that big house, that TOY....NOW! There's no sense of pride in having actually EARNED anything. The huge corporations that now supply us with goods we consume make sure that we are provided with every opportunity to have those goods with the least effort.

Credit cards have replaced the old "layaway." They have also replaced savings accounts to the extreme.

Products don't last long anymore and it's usually more expensive to repair them than it is to just replace them. We are bombarded with commercials that make us believe that we can't think for ourselves and must let others tell us what we need and want. If we don't buy it NOW, we might never get another opportunity! :roll:

I go down to the road in front of my house weekly to pick up the garbage people throw out of their cars. I have read reports about how a single infant will use enough disposable diapers before it's potty trained to fill up five football fields. We have mortgaged and borrowed until now we are slaves to our own greed.

Eventually the piper will have to be paid, though, and his music can now be heard throughout the land. Our economy is in deep doodoo and it's about time to pay that piper. It's a big debt and it's being increased by the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan by the nanosecond.

Here's an interesting article about our throwaway society:

What a monstrously wasteful throwaway society

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:51 am 

Quote:
The answer, I fear, can be summed up in six words. Quick bucks, unscrupulous developers, lax controls.

Catherine, I believe this does sum up a world wide problem.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There should be a seventh word: GREED.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:49 pm 

We cannot forget the radical religious right. Rather than worrying about the poor as admonished by Jesus, they believe it is their God given duty to rape the world for everything possible before the coming Armageddon. It is dealing with the people who assume the moral high ground with their rhetoric and their actions are quite the opposite(they always seem to miss Jesus' preaching on hypocrisy as well), which makes this more than a little uphill battle. These are the core of the sheeple, going to church then going again when they shop at Walmart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:05 am 

I'm glad to see this discussion. I've actually been thinking about this myself for the last few days quite constantly. I think it started when I realized I'm going to need (because I must have coffee) a new coffee maker. The one I have just doesn't work properly; it leaks...etc. But exactly as Catherine said, EVERYTHING is made to be disposable nowadays. (I'm only 31, but I know this hasn't always been the case, even if it has been for my lifetime.) I hate it. I fix EVERYTHING I can fix. I try not to waste much of anything. But I think I am going to have to throw out the old coffee maker. I hate that thought.

And the thing about the religious right bugs me too. I don't know if you have heard of the guy, but there is this financial guru named Dave Ramsay that is on the radio here every afternoon. Now, he does encourage no credit cards and zero borrowing, large savings accounts, etc...So I have to think that he is on the right track with a lot of his ideas. Then one day (he's a "religious" guy) someone emailed him the question about whether or not god wanted people to be rich (that is the point of his show, is that everyone can be a millionaire if they just try). The emailer made the point that it seems from the bible that god didn't want everyone to be rich and that the bible often "put down" the rich. She specifically used the quote about a camel passing through the eye of a needle is easier than a rich man entering heaven... anyhow, Ramsay said that this quote was misinterpreted and that if you really read the bible it says that god wants everyone to be rich...wait, it says that everyone who does as the bible says should be rich and if you aren't rich, then you aren't following the bible. I have to say that this infuriated me.

Anyhow, sorry so long...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree, lefty and I'm very glad RageUnderground started this thread.

Another thing those religious nuts so often yell and scream is to "be fruitful and multiply." Thank you very much, but the populous HAS multiplied...so much so that the planet can't support the multiples much longer! :evil:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:03 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Now I know where I have seen your name- on youtube. You have so many posts and comments and from Oz as well. Welcome to the spot for BS and controversy. I love what you got going on and the NIN are the perfect mood music to bite the hand that feeds.

I'm known as rrrudy222 at utube.

Lefty, get smart- buy an espresso machine and it should last you for years- plus the quality of your coffeee is so much better by using steam to extract the oils rather than just hot water. The flavor will make you wonder how you ever put up with your old coffee maker for so long. And the variety of drinks- I make it for my partner as I can't drink it anymore, stomach problems, and she says it is better than starbucks- and cheaper too! I buy whole beans and grind it fresh as well. Don't keep your beans in the freezer!!!

The amount of waste raped from the earth and then just buried in landfills is atrocious. Buying cheap leaves the biggest price to pay in the future, but keep it out of site when it cacks out seems to be our answer to the accumulated junk we treasured once. I have a pair of hiking boots, Asolo's, that cost over 200 dollars but have lasted me over 5 years. Built to last is the last thing they build right anymore, as I wear these now on a daily basis and they still look and feel like new. Most items made today are in the garbage within 6 months so what we have here is failure to comprehend our part in all this and spend our money wisely on things that last. It takes people like you and me who refuse to throw out anything material that we can still fix, wear, eat, whatever, to see that learning to appreciate what we have and not living in a S'mores world to extend our stay on earth is our only option.

This is the prime moral directive we should all be aware of.

But how many of us are willing to sacrifice what we have for what we need only. If water can be classified as a need and not a right, then everything is potentially consumerist and we are just willing consumers doing what we're told. And the whole economic cycle depends on us continuing our consumption. To stop now means sacrifice, and I don't think we have that in us.

Who'll be the first to blow up their TV, throw away the paper, move to the country, build us a home, plant a little garden, eat a lot of peaches, try to find the creator on your own. (Updated John Prine?)

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:12 pm 
Involved
Involved

thankyou all for replying. I am glad i posted here, the welcome i got from another forum had me putting my boxing gloves on.
Some people are in complete denial about what is happening. and the usual rheotic "its not my problem and what can i do about it is just too familiar and common.

I believe that all the misjust wars, the police state that seems to be increasing and our loss of democracy can not be fought by protesting.
Consumerism or lack of, hurts the pockets of the rich and elite.. the ones that really run this world. If everyone cut down just 10% in spending on items we dont need. there would be rush board meetings with grim looking faces at every major corporation in the world.

we have the power to make a difference more than we want to believe.

regards
Rage