It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Truth or Terrorism? The Real Story Behind Five Years of High
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:22 am 

Truth or Terrorism? The Real Story Behind Five Years of High Alerts

A history of the Bush administration's most dubious terror scares — and the headlines they buried

"Sometimes we disagreed with the intelligence assessment. There were times when some people in the administration were really aggressive about raising the threat level, and we said, 'For that?!'" — Former Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge, May 2005

The Bush administration has never shied from playing the fear card to distract the American public from scandal or goad them into supporting a deeply flawed foreign policy. Here a history of the administration's most-dubious terror alerts — including three consecutive Memorial Day scare-a-thons — all of which proved far less terrifying than the screamer headlines they inspired.

………
(This is just one of the examples)
July 10, 2007

The Threat: Homeland Security chief Michael Chertoff warns of his "gut feeling" that the U.S. is entering "a period of increased vulnerability" of attack from terrorists: “Summertime seems to be appealing to them.”

The Reality: Chertoff subsequently confessed, "We don't have specific intelligence about an attack, that is, a particular attack against the homeland, that is imminent or scheduled for the summer."

The Real News: Two days later, the intelligence community revealed Al Qaeda's strength was "undiminished" in spite of six years of the "War on Terror."

You can be sure the Repugs will be playing this card repeatedly between now and November—things like the terrorists want (Obama) (Clinton) to win. And the beat will be carried by MSM non-critically.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:48 am 

I've noticed the coincidental raising of the terror level before myself, but I love seeing it outlined so nicely.

I wonder who even actually listens to the terror level and goes into hiding/becomes afraid because of it? I know that it changes nothing about my life.

But, then again, I know that the people who still (or at least recently still) supported bush ALWAYS cite that the us is in danger and them terrorists are comin' to get us. SO I guess the terror chart does exactly what its supposed to do: terrorize us.

Last edited by lefty on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:54 am 
Involved
Involved

We have the same here in OZ, the news is filled with terror everything, as long as it has the word muslim attached.
Theres this Doctor called Haneef, who allegedly had a sim card from one of the bombers in london recently, which in the end was false by the way.
He has been aquitted but not before going through a guantanamo style interrogation with no Rights.

“The best political weapon is the weapon of terror. Cruelty commands respect. Men may hate us. But, we don't ask for their love; only for their fear.”

Heinrich Himmler

A friend and i were watching a couple of nights of news and we recorded and edited the footage.

The result can be seen here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOyFxl9pUMw