It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Immigration bill suffers major defeat in Senate

The Senate drove a stake Thursday through President Bush's plan to legalize millions of unlawful immigrants, likely postponing major action on immigration until after the 2008 elections.

Responding to a stinging political setback, President Bush sounded resigned to defeat.

"Legal immigration is one of the top concerns of the American people, and Congress' failure to act on it is a disappointment," Bush said after an appearance in Newport, R.I. "The American people understand the status quo is unacceptable when it comes to our immigration laws. A lot of us worked hard to see if we couldn't find common ground. It didn't work."

What does this mean as far as Bush's "legacy" is concerned? About the only thing he's leaving the next President (AND let's just hope he actually leaves office when he's supposed to) is the biggest mess ever seen in American history.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is an old thread but a timely subject. I am not against immigrants coming to our country, but I am against them coming here ILLEGALLY. I have said in a few posts within this thread that the real culprits are the ENABLER-EMPLOYERS who knowingly employ illegals and then exploit them, thus creating what almost consitutes a new "slave" culture.

Maybe Arizona has found a reasonable and workable solution. What do you all think?

Illegal immigrants packing up and leaving Arizona

Quote:
PHOENIX, Arizona (AP) -- Illegal immigrants in Arizona, frustrated with a flagging economy and tough new legislation cracking down on their employers, are returning to their home countries or trying their luck in other states.

For months, immigrants have taken a wait-and-see attitude toward the state's new employer-sanctions law, which takes effect January 1. The voter-approved legislation is an attempt to lessen the economic incentive for illegal immigrants in Arizona, the busiest crossing point along the U.S.-Mexico border.

And by all appearances, it's starting to work.

...State Rep. Russell Pearce of Mesa, the author of the employer sanctions law, said his intent was to drive illegal immigrants out of Arizona.

"I'm hoping they will self-deport," Pearce said. "They broke the law. They're criminals."

Under the employer sanctions law, businesses found to have knowingly hired illegal workers will be subject to sanctions from probation to a 10-day suspension of their business licenses. A second violation would bring permanent revocation of the license.

Nancy-Jo Merritt, an immigration lawyer who primarily represents employers, said her clients already have started to fire workers who can't prove they are in the country legally

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:03 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Bush is leaving a hole in the wall to repay a huge bribe. Do you think any anti-immigration Republicans are going to raise a stink about this hole in their precious wall? Don't hold your breath.

Border Fence To Bypass Property Of Wealthy Oilman Who Donated $35 Million To Bush Library

Republicans who claim to be against eminent domain laws don't seem to have a problem with the government forcing people from their land to build their precious wall. Then they compound their hypocrisy by turning a blind eye to Bush making an exception to pay back a huge bribe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

SCENE: STAGE OF TOWN HALL OR CIVIC CENTER, USA

WHO: REPUBLICAN AND DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES

WHAT: DEBATE ABOUT DOMESTIC ISSUES

QUESTION: MR. MCCAIN, you have been endorsed by both Presidents Bush.

In October 2006, President Bush authorized the construction of a 700-mile border fence between the United States and Mexico. Now, however, the Department of Homeland Security’s construction plans are facing opposition from Texans who object to the fence cutting through their property. The Washington Post reports on the hard line the Bush administration is taking with these protesting landowners:

In December, officials sent warning letters to 135 private landowners, municipalities, universities, public utility companies and conservation societies along the border that had turned away surveyors. Landowners were given 30 days to change their minds or face legal action. More than 100 of them — 71 in Texas — let the deadline pass.

DHS has no problem pursuing elderly and struggling homeowners. In the small town of Granjeno (pop. 313), however, the border fence would, conveniently, “abruptly end” at the property owned by Dallas billionaire Ray L. Hunt.

It’s not surprising that the administration would be hesitant to upset Hunt, who was a Bush-Cheney campaign “Pioneer” in 2000. More recently, Hunt “donated $35 million to Southern Methodist University to help build Bush’s presidential library.” In 2001, Bush appointed Hunt to his Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board, granting him “a security clearance and access to classified intelligence.”

Mr. McCain, what is your viewpoint on this situation and, if a similar situation arose during a McCain presidency, what would you do?

MCCAIN: Uh, well, uh, I'd uh....

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:50 pm 

From his mouth:

Catherine wrote:
MCCAIN: Uh, well, uh, I'd uh....

In his head: "Did that SOB donate to my library or buy my books? Why don't I know?"

It'll never happen though because no one will ask a question this tough. Debates are rigged with the questions being vetted by both sides first.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:07 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I was thinking the same thing. In fact, I'm sure McCain will never be asked this question. Of all the MSM, I'm sure only Lou Dobbs and Keith Olberman will have the guts to even report this story. Then it will be quickly buried.

Quote:
Hunt, one of the wealthiest oilmen in the world, previously served on the board of Halliburton and was National Petroleum Council chairman between 1991 and 1994.

Daniel Garza, a 76-year old man who might lose his home to the border fence’s intrusion, noted, “I don’t see why they have to destroy my home, my land, and let the wall end there.” Pointing across the street to Hunt’s land, he added, “How will that stop illegal immigration?”

You can't build a wall on the Mexican border of Hunt's property. How would his domestic servants get to work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
You can't build a wall on the Mexican border of Hunt's property. How would his domestic servants get to work

That question should be asked, too! :evil:

At shoe's link, I scrolled down to the comments. This one made me laugh out loud:

Quote:
Why don’t we just build a fence around crawford? put razor wire on the top, put in a few guard towers, and lock the gate the next time george goes on vacation?

I'd want to make sure Dick and Condi were inside before the fence went up.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Interesting article about how illegal immigrants manage to receive the same benefits as legals:

Quote:
Most illegal immigrants have no idea that a limited number of benefit programs don’t exclude them, said Betsabé Pabón, director of the Food Stamps Program at the nonprofit Sunnyside Community Services in the New York borough of Queens.

By law, illegal immigrants are ineligible for food stamps — unless there is at least one U.S. citizen in their household, which describes all U.S.-born children of illegal immigrants.

In many cases, illegal immigrants can also receive emergency medical treatment, short-term government disaster relief and immunization against communicable diseases. Their children can attend public schools.

States may provide other benefits, such as driver’s licenses and worker’s compensation, In Kansas, for example, illegal immigrants can get tuition breaks at state universities and colleges

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25727901/

Is this fair? Many American citizens don't get tuition breaks at our universities and colleges.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman