It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Democrats’ Fairness Doctrine
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've often thought during this campaign between Clinton and Obama that they're doing the Repubs more good than they are themselves. The comments in this report by E.J. Dionne seem to be right on target:

The Democrats’ Fairness Doctrine

There they go again. Democrats have contrived a nominating contest that even Rube Goldberg would have considered too convoluted, too dysfunctional and too improbable to name as his own.

The happiest people in the country right now are Hillary Clinton and Rush Limbaugh—Clinton, because she has survived, and Limbaugh, because he’s eager for the contest to go on so Barack Obama can be “bloodied up.” Talk about a vast and unexpected conspiracy.

Oh, yes, and John McCain is chuckling, too. His obligatory meeting with President Bush on Wednesday produced videotape far more likely to be used by Democrats than by Republicans, given Bush’s standing as this era’s Herbert Hoover.

But the McCain news was eclipsed by stories about Democratic hand-wringing, learned explanations of the Democrats’ exquisitely intricate “nominating process,” and speculation about what nasty things Obama would need to say about Clinton to counteract the nasty things she’s saying about him.

The quotation of the week came from Clinton adviser Harold Ickes. “Too much is yet unknown about Sen. Obama,” he said during a Clinton campaign conference call on Wednesday. Now that raises fascinating philosophical issues we have not pondered since the philosopher Donald Rumsfeld instructed us that while there are “known knowns,” there are also “unknown unknowns,” those we “do not know we don’t know.”

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:31 pm 

I worry about the whole idea of being your own worst enemy right now too.
But something I have noticed (and I may be missing things) is that while Clinton keeps on pumping out the negative targeted emails and commercials, I have not (so far) seen much negativity from the Obama camp. Now, I may be completely wrong, because I'm not looking in the right places or whatever. I know that people are actually predicting for MISSISSIPPI to go blue this election! And to vote Obama in by a landslide. For the first time in my entire life, candidates are actually coming to MS to campaign. Obama will be about 20 mins from my house on Monday, but I cannot go where it is necessary to go today to get tickets because today is my son's birthday party!!!! I'm frustrated because I really wanted to take my son to see Obama on Monday. He's speaking at my Alma Mater. And more and more often around here, I have been seeing homemade Obama signs popping up (and no, they are not on the back of Home Depot banners).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:56 pm 

lefty wrote:
(and no, they are not on the back of Home Depot banners).

I love it!!

On the serious side, the Clintons seem to have a long-term memory problem.

1. They seem unable to recognize that there is a sizable minority of the country that just plain hate their guts. This reaction can be overcome in the Washington Belt or in New York, but in parts of the country, it is like conceding at least a couple hundred of electoral votes to McSame, if that few.

2. They don't remember 1980 when Reagan ran against a sitting president. Some of Reagan's most effective campaign ads featured their ultimate liberal demon, Teddy Kennedy, attacking Jimmy Carter during the primary season. You can be sure McSame's people are recording every negative comment of Hillary's about Barack.

3. Desperation brings out foolish and self-defeating actions. This trial balloon of making Obama a running mate was NOT the action of a leader but the action of someone that feels they are entitled to the nomination.

4. Attempts to manipulate the system (i.e. Michigan, Florida and Super delegate votes) are the actions of the old smoke filled room politics. We loyalists remember the absence of the Clintons on the presidential campaign trails in 2000 and 2004. Those elections being so razor thin is what allowed the War Chimp to steal them.

5. We have come to realize that the Democratic Party has been hi-jacked by the DLC for far too long. If you want to support welfare reform, war and free trade so badly, we would prefer you be honest about it and call yourselves Repugs.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:53 pm 

A Proud Liberal wrote:

5. We have come to realize that the Democratic Party has been hi-jacked by the DLC for far too long. If you want to support welfare reform, war and free trade so badly, we would prefer you be honest about it and call yourselves Repugs.

That is, welfare as we know it. You notice welfare for the rich was not touched.

Aside from that, perfect!

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I wish I could know that a woman would be elected POTUS before the end of my life. I'd love to see it, to be able to witness such a historical event.

It's hard to admit it, but I do not think Hillary Clinton is electable this time around. While she seems to have a lot of support, I do not think the American people are willing to let HER be the one to make that history.

It's the singer, not the song, in this instance.

Obama, on the other hand, is electable, I think. He can defeat McSame while Hillary cannot. I only hope Obama is victorious in sewing up the nomination. If he's not, we're still in the same hole we're in right now because McSame will be the next prez...and it might be worse if McSame should be stupid enough to choose Huckleberry as his running mate...OR JEB BUSH. :evil:

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:52 am 

I saw Tom Daschel on either the Daily Show or Colbert Report the other night, (he's a super delegate) and he said that he's an Obama man all the way, BUT if the majority of voters chose Clinton, he would go with what the majority of voters want. I am glad to hear that at least one SD would vote what the populace wants. And he also said that many other SDs would do the same thing and vote with the majority even if its not for "their" candidate. (PS. most of the calculations I have seen show its virtually impossible for Clinton to get more delegates than Obama at this point. If Clinton gets the nomination on just SD votes, I would seriously hope there would be some recourse that would force the SD to either redact their votes or change them to mirror what the voters voted for.)