It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Archive of Quotes for March 2008
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:40 am 

Monthly archives contain quotes that been posted for at least one week and had no responses posted. Beginning with January's archive a tally of views of the quotes prior to being added to the archive is in this first post. Quotes that have had responses posted will be kept separately and not archived.

March
Quote—Views
1—35
2—48
3—19
4—14
5—21
6—33
7—42
8—34
9—48
10—38
11—41
12—38
13—36
14—30
15—33
16—33
17—35
18—35
19—26
20—25
21—30
22—33
23—25
24—33
25—32
26—36
27—42
28—45
29—37
30—40
31—44

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Last edited by A Proud Liberal on Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:48 pm, edited 29 times in total.

Post subject: Quotes for March 1......
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:42 am 

Quotes for March 1......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Fear "We fear that we are inadequate, but our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us." — Marianne Williamson

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On Coup D'etat 2000 "Cheaters! Let us in!"A mob of GOP-organized demonstrators—many of them lawyers and staff assistants to Republican legislators and campaign people—screaming in the hall outside the Miami-Dade vote counting center while hand recounts were taking place inside. Ron Fournier, Charleston (WV) Gazette, 11-23-00. On national television, these demonstrators were seen forcing their way into the office building and banging on the locked doors of the counting center. Theodore Olson, former assistant to Ken Starr and now Solicitor General, later admitted that the demonstrations were organized by the GOP to pressure the local canvassing boards. Jonathan Alter, "Far from the Madding crowd," Newsweek, 12-4-00.

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "The way he's swinging the bat, he won't get a hit until the twentieth century." — Jerry Coleman was an infielder for the Yankees (what is it about the Bronx Bombers that turned out such a raft of funny speakers?), and manager of the San Diego Padres. After playing, he made his mark as a radio and TV broadcaster, where his malapropisms, non sequiturs, and other goofs became legendary. Coleman is Hall of Shame member #8.

Liberal Quotes of the Day taken from The Best Liberal Quotes Ever: Why the Left Is Right Compiled by William P. Martin ©2004

Quotes from the Right of the Day taken from Take Them at Their Words: Startling, Amusing and Baffling Quotations from the GOP and Their Friends, 1994-2004 Compiled by Bruce J. Miller with Diana Maio ©2004

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day taken from 1001 Dumbest Things Ever Said Edited by Steven D. Price ©2004

Post subject: Quotes for March 2......
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:42 pm 

Quotes for March 2......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Feminism "One distressing thing is the way men react to women who assert their equality: their ultimate weapon is to call them unfeminine. They think she is anti-male; they even whisper that she's probably a lesbian." — Shirley Chisholm {Far from being anti-male, feminists are pro-female and pro-human being. Some of the strongest feminists in the world just happen to be enlightened males.}

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On All Hail King George ". . . I'm the commander—see, I don't need to explain—I do not need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the president. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation." — George W. "War Criminal" Bush. Bob Woodward, "A Course of 'Confident Action'; Bush Says Other Countries Will Follow Assertive U.S. in Combating Terror," Washington Post, 11-19-02.

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "That noise in my earphone knocked my nose off, and I had to pick it up and find it." — Jerry Coleman was an infielder for the Yankees (what is it about the Bronx Bombers that turned out such a raft of funny speakers?), and manager of the San Diego Padres. After playing, he made his mark as a radio and TV broadcaster, where his malapropisms, non sequiturs, and other goofs became legendary. Coleman is Hall of Shame member #8.

Liberal Quotes of the Day taken from The Best Liberal Quotes Ever: Why the Left Is Right Compiled by William P. Martin ©2004

Quotes from the Right of the Day taken from Take Them at Their Words: Startling, Amusing and Baffling Quotations from the GOP and Their Friends, 1994-2004 Compiled by Bruce J. Miller with Diana Maio ©2004

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day taken from 1001 Dumbest Things Ever Said Edited by Steven D. Price ©2004

Post subject: Quotes for March 3......
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:47 pm 

Quotes for March 3......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Fools & Fanatics "What is objectionable, what is dangerous, about extremists is not that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say about their cause, but what they say about their opponents." — Robert F. Kennedy

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On Beat the Press "[Seymour Hersh is] the closest thing American journalism has to a terrorist." — Richard Perle to Wolf Blitzer on CNN. Stanley I. Kutler, "There Will Absolutely Be No Dissension," Chicago Tribune, 3-18-03. Perle disliked Hersh's article about him: "Lunch With the Chairman," The New Yorker, 3-17-03.

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "I've made a couple of mistakes I'd like to do over." — Jerry Coleman was an infielder for the Yankees (what is it about the Bronx Bombers that turned out such a raft of funny speakers?), and manager of the San Diego Padres. After playing, he made his mark as a radio and TV broadcaster, where his malapropisms, non sequiturs, and other goofs became legendary. Coleman is Hall of Shame member #8.

Post subject: Quotes for March 4......
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:17 am 

Quotes for March 4......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Foreign Policy "Shared risks, shared burdens, shared benefits—it's not only a good motto for NATO, it's also a good prescription for America's role in the world." — Wesley Clark {This man, a former general in the US Army, is living proof that all US military are right wing wackos is a lie.}

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On Do As I Say, Not As I Do "Kurt Cobain died of a drug-induced suicide, I just—he was a worthless shred of human debris." — Rush "Drug-Addled Gas Bag" Limbaugh, 4-8-94. lumberjackonliune.com.

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "A day without newspapers is like walking around without your pants on." — Jerry Coleman was an infielder for the Yankees (what is it about the Bronx Bombers that turned out such a raft of funny speakers?), and manager of the San Diego Padres. After playing, he made his mark as a radio and TV broadcaster, where his malapropisms, non sequiturs, and other goofs became legendary. Coleman is Hall of Shame member #8.

Post subject: Quotes for March 5......
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:09 am 

Quotes for March 5......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Freedom "Freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order." — Robert Jackson

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On Free Speech For Me (But Not For Thee) "I don't mind people trying to pick apart my policies, and that's fine and that's fair game but, you know, I don't think we're serving our nation well by allowing the discourse to become so uncivil that people say, use words the they shouldn't be using." — George W. "War Criminal" Bush in an interview with Brit Hume on Fox News, "Bush responds to Kennedy's criticism of Iraq policies," Associated Press, 9-22-03. {Tell me Georgie, would those words be things like "war monger" and "war criminal?" If the shoe fits, wear it.}

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "Thomas is racing for it, but McCovey is there and can't get his glove to it. That play shows the inexperience, not on Thomas's part, but on the part of Willie McC . . . well, not on McCovey's part, either." — Jerry Coleman was an infielder for the Yankees (what is it about the Bronx Bombers that turned out such a raft of funny speakers?), and manager of the San Diego Padres. After playing, he made his mark as a radio and TV broadcaster, where his malapropisms, non sequiturs, and other goofs became legendary. Coleman is Hall of Shame member #8.

Post subject: Quotes for March 6......
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:57 am 

Quotes for March 6......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Free Speech "Free speech is about as good a cause as the world has ever known." — Heywood Broun

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On Compassionate Conservatism "One of the major accomplishments of the last Congress was the end to the Federal entitlement to welfare. And I recognize that there are many skeptics, many doomsayers who wail and lament and beat their chests and say that society, specifically those poor and needy in our communities, that they are doomed . . .
Of course we recognize how tough it is. There are single parents. There two-income families that are struggling to juggle family and jobs. There are businesses that are swimming mightily against the tide of regulation and bureaucracy which often dissuades them from getting involved in community outreach." — Rep. Kenny Hulshof (R-MD), Congressional Record, H883, 3-11-97.

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "Jesus Alou is in the on-deck circus." — Jerry Coleman was an infielder for the Yankees (what is it about the Bronx Bombers that turned out such a raft of funny speakers?), and manager of the San Diego Padres. After playing, he made his mark as a radio and TV broadcaster, where his malapropisms, non sequiturs, and other goofs became legendary. Coleman is Hall of Shame member #8.

Post subject: Quotes for March 7......
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:47 am 

Quotes for March 7......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Fundamentalism "Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." — James Baldwin {I have seen no better short reasoning why Huckabee is dangerous.}

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "There is someone warming up in the Giants' bullpen, but he's obscured by his number." — Jerry Coleman was an infielder for the Yankees (what is it about the Bronx Bombers that turned out such a raft of funny speakers?), and manager of the San Diego Padres. After playing, he made his mark as a radio and TV broadcaster, where his malapropisms, non sequiturs, and other goofs became legendary. Coleman is Hall of Shame member #8.

Post subject: Quotes for March 8......
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:18 am 

Quotes for March 8......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Gay & Lesbian "I think we ought to encourage stable family relationships, in whatever form they take. It just seems mean to deny gay couples in committed relationships any form of legal recognition." — Suzanne Cassidy

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On "Corrections Day" or Damn the Public, Full Speed Ahead ". . . Any restraint placed on broadcasters' free speech rights must be a reasonable means to further our public interest goals. The federal court opinions specifically tell me that any restrictions we place on ownership must be based on concrete evidence—not on fear and speculation about hypothetical media monopolies intent on exercising some type of Vulcan mind control." — FCC Commissioner Kathleen Q. Abernathy (R), explaining her vote to remove long-established regulations on media ownership. "Excerpts from Statements Issued by the Commission Members After the Vote," New York Times, 6-3-03. {The problem with having ideologues like Abernathy is no amount of common sense can be accepted as evidence.}

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "If Pete Rose brings the Reds in first, they ought to bronze him and put him in cement." — Jerry Coleman was an infielder for the Yankees (what is it about the Bronx Bombers that turned out such a raft of funny speakers?), and manager of the San Diego Padres. After playing, he made his mark as a radio and TV broadcaster, where his malapropisms, non sequiturs, and other goofs became legendary. Coleman is Hall of Shame member #8.

Post subject: Quotes for March 9......
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:44 am 

Quotes for March 9......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On God and God's Nature "Who is the most famous liberal of all time? It simply has to be God. No one is more generous, bounteous, or misunderstood. . . . God's gift to us is beyond anything we deserve or could possibly have expected, the gift of life." — Forrester Church {YES! To all "Christians" out there, Jesus was a bleeding heart liberal and if you use Him to justify wars and genocide, he can only continue to weep for the world.}

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On Public Enemy: Public Schools "Madam Speaker, as a former schoolteacher myself, I would like to review the liberals' record on the issue of education in this country. In the 1960s, the liberals decided to "dumb down" the curriculum and now across the country academic rigor is absent from many of our public schools. The predictable result is that student achievement in many areas has plummeted. The liberals also decided that self-esteem was in and that actual knowledge was out. The liberals embraced bogus, faddish teaching methods and produced a generation of children who never learned to read.
And now the liberals oppose legislation we passed here in Congress which would allow parents to put their own money in accounts and not to pay tax on the money in those accounts for educating their children, kindergarten through high school. They say it would somehow hurt the public schools. Baloney. Let us make it a little easier for parents, particularly middle-class parents, to provide a quality education for their children." — Rep. Steve Chabot (R-OH). Congressional Record, H5300, 6-25-98. {This right wing tool wants to turn over education to those ignoramuses that believe in "Intelligent Design" over evolution, and then has the balls to say the liberals gave up on actual knowledge. Baloney to you, Chabot.}

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "They throw Winfield out at second, but he's safe." — Jerry Coleman was an infielder for the Yankees (what is it about the Bronx Bombers that turned out such a raft of funny speakers?), and manager of the San Diego Padres. After playing, he made his mark as a radio and TV broadcaster, where his malapropisms, non sequiturs, and other goofs became legendary. Coleman is Hall of Shame member #8.

Post subject: Quotes for March 10......
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:31 am 

Quotes for March 10......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Government "I am working for the time when unqualified blacks, browns, and women join the unqualified {white} men in running our government." — Sissy Farenthold

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "Ozzie makes a leaping, diving stop, shovels to Fernando, and everybody drops everything." — Jerry Coleman was an infielder for the Yankees (what is it about the Bronx Bombers that turned out such a raft of funny speakers?), and manager of the San Diego Padres. After playing, he made his mark as a radio and TV broadcaster, where his malapropisms, non sequiturs, and other goofs became legendary. Coleman is Hall of Shame member #8.

Post subject: Quotes for March 11......
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:33 am 

Quotes for March 11......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Greatness "It's time for greatness—not for greed. It's a time for idealism—not ideology. It is a time not just compassionate words, but compassionate action." — Marian Wright Edelman

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On Killing Big Bird "I am honored to co-sponsor this amendment, which would eliminate funding for the National Endowment for the Arts. Other Senators will voice their support, I believe, for the Ashcroft-Helms amendment . . . the Senate has learned a very great deal about the way the National Endowment for the Arts conducts its affairs, and, thank the Lord, so have many millions of Americans found out about it across the land. They constitute loud voices to echo exactly what the House of Representatives did the month before last, I believe it was, in cutting off all funding, zeroing the National Endowment for the Arts. For one thing, it is self-evident that many of the beneficiaries of NEA grants are contemptuous of—how to say it—traditional moral standards . . . Following that vote in the House of Representatives, the NEA's supporters did the usual thing. They trotted out their customary absurdities in describing an America without art, an America without culture unless the Senate restores full funding to the NEA. And they did that with violins being played and weeping voices. Baloney. Perhaps the Senate will default on its responsibilities, but it will have to do it after a number of Senators have made clear why the House action with reference to the NEA was entirely justified." — Sen. Jesse Helms (R-NC). Congressional Record, S9314, 9-15-97. The Helms-Ashcroft amendment was defeated, 9-17-97, by a vote of 77 to 23.

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "Johnny Grubb slides into second with a stand-up double." — Jerry Coleman was an infielder for the Yankees (what is it about the Bronx Bombers that turned out such a raft of funny speakers?), and manager of the San Diego Padres. After playing, he made his mark as a radio and TV broadcaster, where his malapropisms, non sequiturs, and other goofs became legendary. Coleman is Hall of Shame member #8.

Post subject: Quotes for March 12......
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:56 am 

Quotes for March 12......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Greed "There's enough on this planet for everyone's needs, but not for everyone's greed." — Mahatma Gandhi

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "All the Padres need is a fly ball in the air." — Jerry Coleman was an infielder for the Yankees (what is it about the Bronx Bombers that turned out such a raft of funny speakers?), and manager of the San Diego Padres. After playing, he made his mark as a radio and TV broadcaster, where his malapropisms, non sequiturs, and other goofs became legendary. Coleman is Hall of Shame member #8.

Post subject: Quotes for March 13......
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:52 am 

Quotes for March 13......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On The Green Party "We need an alternative for people who believe in a fair and just society." — Roy Williams

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On Caring for Our Health "Protection of Women's Health—Because of the personal and social pain caused by abortions, the Party Calls for the protection of both women and their unborn children from pressure for unwanted abortions. We call for laws requiring abortion providers, prior to an abortion, to provide women full knowledge of the health, surgical and psychological risks to abortion, development of the unborn child, and abortion alternatives. We urge state and federal legislation to be enacted defining failure to obtain informed consent prior to abortion as medical malpractice with all attendant civil liability."Texas State GOP Platform 2002. TexasGOP.org.

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "Davis fouls out to third in fair territory." — Jerry Coleman was an infielder for the Yankees (what is it about the Bronx Bombers that turned out such a raft of funny speakers?), and manager of the San Diego Padres. After playing, he made his mark as a radio and TV broadcaster, where his malapropisms, non sequiturs, and other goofs became legendary. Coleman is Hall of Shame member #8.

Post subject: Quotes for March 14......
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:37 am 

Quotes for March 14......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Growth "One thing at a time, all things in succession. That which grows slowly endures." — J. G. Hubbard

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "Houston has its largest crowd of the night here this evening." — Jerry Coleman was an infielder for the Yankees (what is it about the Bronx Bombers that turned out such a raft of funny speakers?), and manager of the San Diego Padres. After playing, he made his mark as a radio and TV broadcaster, where his malapropisms, non sequiturs, and other goofs became legendary. Coleman is Hall of Shame member #8.