Yes-definitely 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
No-they're not that smart 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other-Please Post 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5
 Post subject: Pew Poll Finds Americans Unsure of Iraq Death Toll
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:49 am 

Pew Poll Finds Americans Unsure of Iraq Death Toll

Quote:
WASHINGTON Fewer people know how many U.S. troops have died in the war in Iraq, a poll showed Wednesday.

Only 28 percent correctly said that about 4,000 Americans have died in the war, according to a survey by the nonpartisan Pew Research Center.

That’s down from last August, when 54 percent gave the accurate casualty figure, which was about 3,500 dead at the time. In previous Pew surveys dating to 2004, about half have correctly given the rough figure for the approximate number of deaths at the time.

In the new poll, around a third said about 3,000 U.S. troops have died while about one in 10 said 2,000 deaths. Fewer overestimated the number of casualties: about a quarter put the figure close to 5,000.

Exit polls of voters in presidential primaries and many national surveys have shown the economy has displaced the war in recent weeks as the public’s choice as the nation’s top problem.
. . . . .

Are these SOB's evil and cynical enough to let the economy go to hell so we would forget the dead in Iraq?

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:54 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I believe the failure of the economy is planned, but for another reason. The global corporatists care nothing about our country. In fact, the American middle class who built our prosperity are now just an irritant to them. The global race to the bottom is designed to hollow out the middle class, so we can be subjugated for ever greater corporate profits. When everyone is starving, we will be much easier to control. This corporate feudalism is the ultimate goal of the conservative/libertarian movement, which we have been sold for the past 30 years. First, they gained control of government by telling us government is bad. Once in power, they destroyed the government, dismantled labor protections, deregulated everything, and removed the trade barriers which had protected our economy for 200 years.

The US economy is being destroyed for the specific purpose of turning our country into a banana republic.

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."- Ronald Reagan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think Bush's recent weird behavior (See the EDITORIALS forum) is a clear indication that the recession we are now in was planned by the same powerful group of neocons who planned Bush's being given the state of FL in 2000 and Ohio in 2004.

They're hoping John McCain will be just as easily managed as W is.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:22 pm 

I completely agree with Shoe. While the economy is a clear distraction from the Iraq war, honestly I think their are only a small amount of us who even keep up with it anymore anyway. Obviously the economic problems are not a good thing but, for once, they are getting people out of their personal bubble and making them take a look around. Unless you are obscenely wealthy (I'm talking about people who don't bat an eye to buy, pay, or lose $100K), this is hurting. Gas, groceries, clothing, everything is getting too expensive. My electric co-op is about to raise rates 12% because TVA is raising them 9% (we get 80% of our energy from them) and the other supplier is raising rates 4% (yes, I know the math doesn't work out)...that's at LEAST $10-20 a month increase on my bill, I can't imagine how much for someone with a bigger house or less frugal energy usage. The Iraq war only directly effects people who are going there, or someone they know is going there. The economy effects every single one of us. Sorry, I'm so long winded lately.