It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Endeavors for the beneficially inclined?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:34 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

In stormy times, there is a duty for informed people to step forward and carry an additional burden until the times improve. These times are here. Our government has gone beserk under a lawless regime. Concerned citizens are being treated like common terrorist suspects.

So I wonder about things I can do. I was actively making monetary contributions to organizations that fight the good fight. I can no longer afford to do that on a significant level.

I have lowered my impact on the environment. I spend hours/day trying to enlighten people...one of the more dangerous activities under a police state. I spend hours/day educating myself about the history and trials of our courageous founding fathers.

We at TVNL commiserate together and jointly preach to the choir. This may be heart warming and educational but it is doubtful that it will have a substantial influence on turning back the incoming tides of fascism and further military invasions.

Most people are afraid. I am pretty sure that more than one of my 'confidants' has used my attempts to enlighten them in order to ingratiate themselves with the encroaching police state.

So....what to do? What is working for you?

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:23 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Perhaps I stated this improperly. We need to hunker down and commiserate in between sojourns into the blizzard where the masses get their "news" from the corporatocratic powers (the marriage of government, business and elite financial powers).

We need to organize and educate. It seems that Alex Jones is about the most effective these days. Have you seen End Game? I bought the DVD and watched it today. More on Rockefeller and less on Bush....Alex knows what is up. I wonder if he allows free distribution of copies like so many educational films for the public awareness do?

I didn't write this to be a plug. I usually have no idea what I will write beyond the first sentence or so.

I commend everyone for sharing knowledge here. :occasion5:

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
We at TVNL commiserate together and jointly preach to the choir.

ummm...that may be true online but most of us are politically active locally. What we discuss here at TVNL about the media and the other political situations are often shared with our families, our friends, and our colleagues, both online and off. We have fun with each other in the non-political forums when things get too difficult in those that are politically-based. We acknowledge when things need to be "fixed." We listen to each other. We try to be fair to one and all, especially to those who come here only to make trouble. We give them a chance to obey the posting guidelines. We allow them as much freedom as we can on this private board.

Do you ever note the number of GUESTS that are lurking here? Some of them are indeed crawlers and bots, but there are a few lurkers who are real people. They're agreeing or disagreeing with us. I'm proud of the intellectual level of the active TVNL members and what the "people" lurkers are seeing when they come here.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:25 am 

Great response, Catherine. Yes, we are politically active with all kinds of people, but we come here to hear and say things that will eventually be shared with people who do not agree with us.

It is nice to have a place to go where people understand.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:40 am 

dori wrote:
It is nice to have a place to go where people understand.

It is very much like the line from the "Cheers" theme song;
"Where everyone knows your name."

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:56 am 

I knew there was a reason I liked 'Cheers'!

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid