It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Come and See this Movie
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:56 pm 
Involved
Involved

Whats on tele tonight?
Great TV viewing for America and Israel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFNGduQpU9g

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:15 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I watched it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:29 am 
Lots to Say
Lots to Say

I watched it and I thought it was a good film that made some excellent points. The editing was raw and creative... But whether it was right or wrong it was still propaganda and I don't blame the filmmaker for that.

This love of the sound bite and the clip where information is imparted as we walk behind the sofa on our way to the fridge is possibly the root of our ills. After I had watched this video I read some of the comments and it struck me that whether the viewers disagreed or agreed none of them were informed.

With arguments and counter-arguments along with shades of grey I don't trust myself to utter an opinion on any of the political crises until I'm sure that the storytellers (the journalists) and their experts aren't in the pockets of special interest groups.

Personally, I agree with the maker of this video but that is not enough. I don’t want to be in an environment where I need to rely on belief. I want to know one way or another and I want the source of the information to be impeccable. Is that too much to ask for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:34 am 

No matter how impeccable the source of information is, we have to remember that it is virtually impossible to tell any story or pass along any information without bringing our own ideas and feelings into the telling. So a story that for me seems perfectly legitimate (ie, comes from a good source, documented, reliable evidence, etc.), may very well seem like utter bs to the next person because of their own personal experiences and how they differ with the teller of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:59 am 
Lots to Say
Lots to Say

I love a good opinion piece Lefty - I can agree with it or debate it. The problem is that in commercial media formats be it television or newspaper, it has to be entertaining, not conflict with sponsers interests and it can't be so complex that the masses won't get it in two to three minutes. So truth is diminished to sound bites, clips and two columns which means no truth at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

RAW STORY is advertising this upcoming documentary from PBS:

FRONTLINE: BUSH'S WAR

Whether or not it will be a white-washing of the war or actually offer some criticism of the Bushies remains to be seen.

I agree with lefty about how we bring our own experiences and beliefs to a story we read or hear. A prime example is the phenomenal success of Faux Noise, which isn't much more than tabloid television for rightwingers but advertises itself as a news station. Faux is propaganda, nothing else, yet far too many Americans think it's the only source of "fair and balanced" info on the planet.

To them, fair and balanced means only what they want to believe, hear, and see.

Thank the gods for the INTERTUBES! :P

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:56 am 
Involved
Involved

Thanks for your thoughts, and i totally agree with you that my videos are propaganda, but that is in no way a criticism,
do you truly believe everything you see?
Media of any kind has always been and will always be, personal or group propaganda,
if the group got big enough it is then considered collective knowledge.
But is collective knowledge the truth?

After all...

In 1492 collective knowledge held that the Earth was flat and that the Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria were going to sail off the edge of it.

For your consideration...
a few vids on fear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dee3T5e4YVQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8KTt6qCUZU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:04 am 
Lots to Say
Lots to Say

Hi Rage, certainly no criticism from me - I like your films. What's more, your argument that fear begets fear is a good argument.

I, on the other hand have found one or two topics where the truth of them is obvious to anyone who looks. Obvious corruptions and injustices where the only defence that the neocons have is to control the media and prevent the truth from getting out because they are cases with no shades of grey, no confusing 'alternate' viewpoints or 'larger considerations' or a 'bigger picture' - they are unspinable.

I am using these cases to unravel this ball of fishing line where so many people have given up in exhaustion and are starting to believe that War, murder, starvation, facism and atrocities are the natural order of things... they really aren't.