It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quotes for March 15......
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:51 am 

Quotes for March 15......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Guns "More teenagers die of gunshot wounds than of all natural diseases combined." — Center for Disease Control and Prevention

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "Montreal leads Atlanta by three, 5—1." — Jerry Coleman was an infielder for the Yankees (what is it about the Bronx Bombers that turned out such a raft of funny speakers?), and manager of the San Diego Padres. After playing, he made his mark as a radio and TV broadcaster, where his malapropisms, non sequiturs, and other goofs became legendary. Coleman is Hall of Shame member #8.

Liberal Quotes of the Day taken from The Best Liberal Quotes Ever: Why the Left Is Right Compiled by William P. Martin ©2004

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day taken from 1001 Dumbest Things Ever Said Edited by Steven D. Price ©2004

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject: Quotes for March 16......
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:43 am 

Quotes for March 16......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Happiness "The only true happiness comes from squandering ourselves for a purpose." — John Mason Brown

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On Earth Day at the GOP "God said, "Earth is yours. Take it. Rape it. It's yours." — Ann Coulter. "Hannity & Colmes," Fox News Channel, 6-20-01. {It would seem Coulter can channel James Watt, Reagan's original Secretary of the Interior, who believed the Second Coming was near and it was his Christian duty to rape the world for all it was worth before Christ returned.}

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "How can you communicate with Enzo Hernandez when he speaks Spanish and you speak Mexican?—asked of Hector Torrez" — Jerry Coleman was an infielder for the Yankees (what is it about the Bronx Bombers that turned out such a raft of funny speakers?), and manager of the San Diego Padres. After playing, he made his mark as a radio and TV broadcaster, where his malapropisms, non sequiturs, and other goofs became legendary. Coleman is Hall of Shame member #8.

Liberal Quotes of the Day taken from The Best Liberal Quotes Ever: Why the Left Is Right Compiled by William P. Martin ©2004

Quotes from the Right of the Day taken from Take Them at Their Words: Startling, Amusing and Baffling Quotations from the GOP and Their Friends, 1994-2004 Compiled by Bruce J. Miller with Diana Maio ©2004

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day taken from 1001 Dumbest Things Ever Said Edited by Steven D. Price ©2004

Post subject: Quotes for March 17......
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:52 am 

Quotes for March 17......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Hate "In hatred, as in love, we grow like the thing we brood upon." — Mary Renault

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On Supporting Our Troops or Veterans' Benefits ". . . what was left was sucked into the intake, trained for a period of months, and then went out, adding no value, no advantage, really, to the United States armed services over any sustained period of time, because the churning that took place, it took enormous amount of effort in terms of training, and then they were gone." — Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld on those who were drafted into the Armed Services in the past. Pamela Hess, "Veterans decry Rumsfeld's draft comments," Washington Times, 1-10-03.

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "Hi folks, I'm Jerry Gross . . . Coleman!" — Jerry Coleman was an infielder for the Yankees (what is it about the Bronx Bombers that turned out such a raft of funny speakers?), and manager of the San Diego Padres. After playing, he made his mark as a radio and TV broadcaster, where his malapropisms, non sequiturs, and other goofs became legendary. Coleman is Hall of Shame member #8.

Quotes from the Right of the Day taken from Take Them at Their Words: Startling, Amusing and Baffling Quotations from the GOP and Their Friends, 1994-2004 Compiled by Bruce J. Miller with Diana Maio ©2004

Post subject: Quotes for March 18......
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:52 am 

Quotes for March 18......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Hope "To live without hope is to cease to live." — Fyodor Dostoevsky

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On The Clouded Crystal Ball "Success in Iraq could also begin a new stage for Middle Eastern peace and set in motion progress towards a truly democratic Palestinian state." — George W. "War Criminal" Bush, speaking at the Washington Hilton to supporters of the American Enterprise Institute, 2-26-03. Whitehouse.gov.

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "Kevin McReynolds stops at third and he scores." — Ralph Kiner, Pittsburgh Pirates Hall of Fame slugger, has been a radio and television broadcast voice of the New York Mets since 1962. With lines like these, may he continue for another four decades. Kiner is Hall of Shame member #9.

Post subject: Quotes for March 19......
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:04 am 

Quotes for March 19......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Humanism "A humanist has four leading characteristics—curiosity, a free mind, belief in good taste, and belief in the human race." — E. M. Forster

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On Say What? "It [Rush's drug problem] is going to help his career because Rush is now humanized—people love when people show a human side. It may make some of his people scratch their heads and say: 'Oh, my gosh. Rush is a human being and not a god.'" — Michael Harrison, publisher of trade magazine Talkers. James Barron, New York Times, "Limbaugh, telling of pill addiction, plans to be treated," 10-11-03. {Anybody deluded enough to consider Rush anything but the evil SOB he is, is way beyond reason anyway.}

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "The Mets have gotten their leadoff batter on only once this inning." — Ralph Kiner, Pittsburgh Pirates Hall of Fame slugger, has been a radio and television broadcast voice of the New York Mets since 1962. With lines like these, may he continue for another four decades. Kiner is Hall of Shame member #9.

Post subject: Quotes for March 20......
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:05 am 

Quotes for March 20......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On The Human Condition "Everything is held together with stories. That is all that is holding us together, stories and compassion." — Barry Lopez

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On Civil Wars & Sore Losers "You are disgrace to your baptism! You are a poor excuse for a Marine. You are a pathetic, senile old man. You are a slimy coward. Go register in another party." — Bob Dornan berating William Dougherty, a member of the Orange County Republican Central Committee, for working against him in the election. Associated Press, 11-19-96. {"Disgrace to your baptism"??? This should never be a factor in politics except for someone running for office in a church. Dornan is the quintessential NeoCon nutball.}

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "There is a lot of heredity in that family." — Ralph Kiner, Pittsburgh Pirates Hall of Fame slugger, has been a radio and television broadcast voice of the New York Mets since 1962. With lines like these, may he continue for another four decades. Kiner is Hall of Shame member #9.

Post subject: Quotes for March 21......
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:37 am 

Quotes for March 21......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Human Nature "What the scientific study of human motives shows is that human nature is neither essentially bad nor essentially good. . . . But human nature is essentially flexible and educable." — Corliss Lamont

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On He Said/He Said {Four statements from the same man on the same subject, not necessarily consistent.} "1. . . . the sanctions exist—not for the purpose of hurting the Iraqi people, but for the purpose of keeping in check Saddam Hussein's ambitions toward developing weapons of mass destruction. . . . That purpose is every bit as important now as it was ten years ago when we began it. And frankly they have worked. He has not developed any significant capability with respect to weapons of mass destruction. He is unable to project conventional power against his neighbors. So in effect, our policies have strengthened the security of the neighbors of Iraq, and these policies that we are going to keep in place, but we are always willing to review them to make sure that they are being carried out in a way that does not affect the Iraqi people but does affect the Iraqi's regime's ambitions and the ability to acquire weapons of mass destruction . . .

2. Our conservative estimate is that Iraq today has a stockpile of between 100 and 500 tons of chemical weapons agent. . . . Saddam Hussein has chemical weapons . . . And we have sources who tell us that he recently has authorized his field commanders to use them.

3. A sinister nexus [exists] between Iraq and the al-Qaeda terrorist network, a nexus that combines classic terrorist organizations and modern methods of murder. Iraq today harbors a deadly terrorist network headed by Abu Musaab al-Zarqawi, an associate and collaborator of Osama bin-Laden and his al-Qaeda lieutenants . . . Iraqi officials deny accusations of ties with al-Qaeda. These denials are simply not credible.

4. I have not seen smoking-gun, concrete evidence about the connection [between Hussein and al-Qaeda]."All four statements — Secretary of State Colin L. Powell,
1. After his meeting with Egyptian Foreign Minister Amre Moussa, 2-24-01. USembassyisrael.org.il.
2. While addressing the U.N. on 2-5-03. Charles J. Hanley, "Powell's case hasn't held up very well," Wisconsin State Journal, 8-11-03.
3. While addressing the U.N. on 2-5-03. Christopher Marquis, "Powell admits no hard proof in linking Iraq to al-Qaeda," New York Times, 1-9-04.
4. At a news conference, 1-8-04. Ibid.

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "The reason the Mets have played so well at Shea this year is they have the best home record in baseball." — Ralph Kiner, Pittsburgh Pirates Hall of Fame slugger, has been a radio and television broadcast voice of the New York Mets since 1962. With lines like these, may he continue for another four decades. Kiner is Hall of Shame member #9.

Post subject: Quotes for March 22......
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:46 pm 

Quotes for March 22......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Human Rights "A human being is not to be handled as a tool, but is to be respected and revered." — Felix Adler

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "The Hall of Fame ceremonies are on the 31st and 32nd of July." — Ralph Kiner, Pittsburgh Pirates Hall of Fame slugger, has been a radio and television broadcast voice of the New York Mets since 1962. With lines like these, may he continue for another four decades. Kiner is Hall of Shame member #9.

Post subject: Quotes for March 23......
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:51 pm 

Quotes for March 23......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Idealism "The discrepancy between American ideals and American practice creates a dry rot which eats away at the foundations of our democratic faith." — Helen Gahagan Douglas

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "After eight innings, it's the New York Giants—who have moved to San Francisco—4, and the Mets, 3." — Ralph Kiner, Pittsburgh Pirates Hall of Fame slugger, has been a radio and television broadcast voice of the New York Mets since 1962. With lines like these, may he continue for another four decades. Kiner is Hall of Shame member #9.

Post subject: Quotes for March 24......
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:56 am 

Quotes for March 24......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Independence "I am a sect by myself, as far as I know." — Thomas Jefferson

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "[Don] Sutton lost 13 games in a row without winning a ball game." — Ralph Kiner, Pittsburgh Pirates Hall of Fame slugger, has been a radio and television broadcast voice of the New York Mets since 1962. With lines like these, may he continue for another four decades. Kiner is Hall of Shame member #9.

Post subject: Quotes for March 25......
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:12 am 

Quotes for March 25......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Individuality "If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." — Anatole France

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "We'll be back after this word from Manufacturer's Hangover.—the bank's correct name is Manufacturer's Hanover" — Ralph Kiner, Pittsburgh Pirates Hall of Fame slugger, has been a radio and television broadcast voice of the New York Mets since 1962. With lines like these, may he continue for another four decades. Kiner is Hall of Shame member #9.

Post subject: Quotes for March 26......
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:05 am 

Quotes for March 26......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Inferiority "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." — Eleanor Roosevelt

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "You have really solidified the Mets' center-field problems." — Ralph Kiner, Pittsburgh Pirates Hall of Fame slugger, has been a radio and television broadcast voice of the New York Mets since 1962. With lines like these, may he continue for another four decades. Kiner is Hall of Shame member #9.

Post subject: Quotes for March 27......
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:29 am 

Quotes for March 27......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Inner Life "What happens to a man is less significant that what happens within him." — Louis L. Mann

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "The Mets just had their first .500-or-better April since July of 1992." — Ralph Kiner, Pittsburgh Pirates Hall of Fame slugger, has been a radio and television broadcast voice of the New York Mets since 1962. With lines like these, may he continue for another four decades. Kiner is Hall of Shame member #9.

Post subject: Quotes for March 28......
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:37 am 

Quotes for March 28......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Insanity "Madness need not be all breakdown. It may also be breakthrough. It is potential liberation and renewal, as well as enslavement and existential death." — R. D. Laing

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "Today is Father's Day, so to all you fathers out there, we'd just like to say, Happy Birthday!" — Ralph Kiner, Pittsburgh Pirates Hall of Fame slugger, has been a radio and television broadcast voice of the New York Mets since 1962. With lines like these, may he continue for another four decades. Kiner is Hall of Shame member #9.

Post subject: Quotes for March 29......
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:39 am 

Quotes for March 29......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Inspiration "Inspirations never go in for long engagements; they demand immediate marriage to action." — Brendan Francis

Stupidest and/or Scariest Quote from the Right for the Day: On Homeland Security "Our concern is that enemies who hate America do not get information which could help them attack America."White House Communications Director Dan Bartlett, defending the Administration's successful attempts to delay investigation of 9-11.

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Sports "Solo homers usually come with no one on base." — Ralph Kiner, Pittsburgh Pirates Hall of Fame slugger, has been a radio and television broadcast voice of the New York Mets since 1962. With lines like these, may he continue for another four decades. Kiner is Hall of Shame member #9.