It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "These are the times that try mens souls."
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:25 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

The immortal words of the great Thomas Paine. Ever so descriptive during the winter of 1776/77. Our military was on the run and getting beat up on by the worlds most powerful army. We were under staffed, under trained, under clothed, and under fed. Moral was at rock bottom and many militia members succumbed to the temptation of desertion.

Many protected their feet and hands with only rags (the earnings from the sales of Paine's best seller "Common Sense" were voluntarily committed to buy mittens for the troops). Imagine being dressed in rags with only a rifle and some bullets. The harsh northeastern winter drapes itself around you like a London fog. You are on the run from the worlds best equipped, best trained, and deadliest army. Many of the citizenry are in cahoots with this foreign army, they are still loyal to King George (sound familiar?). You only source of inspiration is the steadfastness of General Washington, the press and the pamphleteers such as Thomas Paine and Samuel Adams.

Comparatively speaking...these are not bad times.

Chins up.

:occasion5:

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:51 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Mankind is truly hopeless. Occasionally I take the trouble to pen something worthwhile. Nobody ever says a thing until I spew some trite garbage in less than 30 seconds.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Comparatively speaking...these are not bad times.

I guess it depends on where one is when the comparison is being made.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:34 am 

Purple Tang wrote:
Mankind is truly hopeless. Occasionally I take the trouble to pen something worthwhile. Nobody ever says a thing until I spew some trite garbage in less than 30 seconds.

Ain't that the truth! Frustrating, isn't it!!!

Join the crowd...

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I AM OUTRAGED! :evil: :evil: :evil:

(UPI) Taco Bell Buys The Liberty Bell

In an effort to help the national debt, Taco Bell is pleased to announce
that we have agreed to purchase the Liberty Bell, one of our country's most historic treasures. It will now be called the "Taco Liberty Bell" and will still be accessible to the American public for viewing. While some may find this controversial, we hope our move will prompt other corporations to take similar action to do their part to reduce the country's debt.

In a separate press release, Taco Bell explained that the Liberty Bell would divide its time between Philadelphia and the Taco Bell headquarters in Irvine. It compared the purchase to the adoption of highways by
corporations. Taco Bell argued that it was simply "going one step further by purchasing one of the country's greatest historic treasures." The company boasted, "Taco Bell's heritage and imagery have revolved around the symbolism of the bell. Now we've got the crown jewel of bells."

APRIL FOOLS!!!!!! :wink:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:59 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

That was a cruel April's Fools day prank since it actually made some sense in todays environment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
That was a cruel April's Fools day prank since it actually made some sense in todays environment

:lol: AIN'T IT THE TRUTH? :twisted: That's why I fell for it when my husband laid the trap for me. He came into the kitchen with a very perplexed expression on his face, and asked me if I knew that the federal government had sold the Liberty Bell....to Taco Bell.

I was really upset, asking just who the hell gave the federal government the right to sell OUR Liberty Bell? That bell belonged to the PEOPLE, etc. etc. etc. It wasn't until he started laughing so hard tears were rolling down his cheeks, that I realized I'd been had! HAD BIG TIME! :oops: :roll: :P

Sheez... :roll: but then, when it comes to the federal government right now, NOTHING would surprise me.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:47 pm 

Catherine wrote:
the Taco Bell headquarters in Irvine

During my time in Orange County, I worked for a company that was located right across the street from Taco Bell headquarters. I would eat lunch there 3 or 4 times a week as the food was far superior to our company cafeteria. They had a food court setup with Pizza Hut, KFC, Taco Bell and couple other restaurants. All had the standard menus plus all the items being tested before introduction to the general public. I have not been able to eat at any of these later on though since the quality at the corporate headquarters was far superior to what one can buy generally.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote