It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Proud Liberal has New Blog
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:16 am 

What is Namnesia Antidote?

1. Namnesia: forgetting the lessons of Vietnam.
2. Vietnambien Syndrome: sleepwalking through war with delusions of inevitable victory reminiscent of Vietnam (also called Vietnambulism, a type of somnambulism peculiar to neo-conservatives).
Namnesia Antidote is an attempt by A Proud Liberal to reverse these dangerous syndromes.

When a fellow poster, anniefey, made a post at the TV News Lies Board about these two syndromes I was struck by the pervasiveness of this type of thinking when it comes to the occupation of Iraq. The warmongers in the administration and Congress not only suffer from <b>Namnesia</b> but have gone out of their way to spread the infection. When George "War Criminal" Bush talks about not repeating the mistakes of Vietnam, he is stating our error was withdrawing prematurely and leaving <b>only</b> 58,168 known dead Americans. He is determined to "stay the course" indefinitely in Iraq, no matter the cost in human lives and resources. When anniefey made her post it was with two unhappy coincidences; the five-year anniversary of the Iraq invasion and the occasion of the 4,000th American causality. We had once again failed to learn from history and were doomed to repeating the same errors.

Posts on this blog begin on March 23rd. In 2008, this was both Easter and the date of the aforementioned 4,000th causality. The names posted on this blog are from the Vietnam War Memorial Wall as extracted from the No Quarter organization website. Any errors in the extraction are mine and I apologize in advance for them. While a laudable goal would be to have a posting for everyone whose name appears on The Wall, it is just not feasible for a one-man operation. What I will attempt here is to have posted for each day of the year two lists of these names; the first commemorating the date of death and the second celebrating the birth of those who gave their lives. I encourage anyone to post comments on these individuals, when such a comment is posted, I will attempt to create an individual post with more detailed information for that person. This will give family, friends and supporters the chance to collectively honor and remember these fallen service men. I will post these individual posts by birthdates.

The information on this blog will also appear in my This Day in History blog daily posts. I hope this double posting will give some additional exposure to these men and women while aiding in combating <b>Namnesia</b>.

Permanent Backlink to Blog

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

EXCELLENT IDEA, APL!

:wav:

To not see the awful parallel between Vietnam and Iraq is foolishness to the nth degree, but we know W is just that foolish, besides being a low-end moron. :banghead:

In March 2003, I planted three Leyland Cypress trees in my yard in honor of those Americans who were fighting in Iraq, thinking then that the war would be over in a few months. Those trees are now HUGE and the war goes on.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:14 am 

I have sent APL's new site out to people who might have known someone in that war. Actually, it is a good site for anyone--a reminder of what war is and does to the people who start them.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:54 pm 

The core posts for the website are now complete. The first unique index I'll be working on is age at time of death. This piece of information has to be calculated from the extracted information and therefore will make the index unique in terms of information.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote