It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rice: I’m ‘Offended’ By Diplomats Who Don’t Want To Serve In
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:49 am 

Rice: I’m ‘Offended’ By Diplomats Who Don’t Want To Serve In Iraq

Quote:
Today, the AP reports that U.S. foreign service officers may face compulsory duty in Iraq because of a lack of volunteers:

Quote:
[T]he State Department is warning diplomats they may be forced to serve in Iraq next year and will soon identify prime candidates for upcoming vacancies in Baghdad and outlying provinces.

A cable sent to all foreign service officers says the department is facing a looming crisis to fill about 300 jobs that will come open in 2009 in Iraq and that it may not get enough qualified volunteers. If it doesn’t, the department will begin selecting diplomats for compulsory duty.

Similarly, last fall, the State Department came under intense criticism for its plan to make approximately 48 diplomats to take forced assignments to Iraq. It eventually dropped the plan when the spots were filled with volunteers.

The State Department’s “looming crisis” stands in stark contrast to statements made by Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice during a House Armed Services Committee hearing today, during which she took umbrage at the suggestion that foreign service officers don’t want to serve in Iraq. She said that comments by diplomats who protested the forced assignments last fall were “offen[sive]” and “cast a very bad light on the foreign service.”
. . . . .

This same woman was offended by the suggestion that she should shoulder any blame for the 9-11 attacks. Just another chicken(sh*t) hawk and war criminal.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:27 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I'm offended by a National Security Advisor who tells dozens of lies in order to drag our country into a senseless, illegal, endless war.

False Pretenses

Following 9/11, President Bush and seven top officials of his administration waged a carefully orchestrated campaign of misinformation about the threat posed by Saddam Hussein's Iraq

President George W. Bush and seven of his administration's top officials, including Vice President Dick Cheney, National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, made at least 935 false statements in the two years following September 11, 2001, about the national security threat posed by Saddam Hussein's Iraq. Nearly five years after the U.S. invasion of Iraq, an exhaustive examination of the record shows that the statements were part of an orchestrated campaign that effectively galvanized public opinion and, in the process, led the nation to war under decidedly false pretenses.

On at least 532 separate occasions (in speeches, briefings, interviews, testimony, and the like), Bush and these three key officials, along with Secretary of State Colin Powell, Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz, and White House press secretaries Ari Fleischer and Scott McClellan, stated unequivocally that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction (or was trying to produce or obtain them), links to Al Qaeda, or both. This concerted effort was the underpinning of the Bush administration's case for war.

President Bush, for example, made 232 false statements about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and another 28 false statements about Iraq's links to Al Qaeda. Secretary of State Powell had the second-highest total in the two-year period, with 244 false statements about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and 10 about Iraq's links to Al Qaeda. Rumsfeld and Fleischer each made 109 false statements, followed by Wolfowitz (with 85), Rice (with 56), Cheney (with 48), and McClellan (with 14).

Last edited by shoeless on Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm OFFENDED by the entire Bush Administration, including RICE AND HER LIES. THEY SIMPLY ECHO BUSH'S AND CHENEY'S.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:08 am 

Great chart on the website you linked to shoeless. I wonder why the team fell down on January--hardly any lies at all. Maybe they were waiting for a new supply?

I wondered how Colin Powell could have such a dishonest son as Michael Powell who headed the FCC during it's nasty time--although it is even worse now. But Michael Powell started what is just continuing today. I guess he learned how to be a bad ass at home, eh?

Catherine, that is the most haunting picture! It should be displayed everywhere!

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

INDEED, DORI! I thought the same thing.

Looks like Keith Olbermann is "disgusted" with Rice, TOO:

OLBERMANN CHALLENGES RICE TO PROVE DEVOTION TO COUNTRY, JOB

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman