It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:21 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

What are you talking about?

Nobody is going to force you to vote for anyone. I said before that I respect your right to remain irrelevant. You have never been part of this crusade to remove the insane, bloodthirsty Republicans from power, and you never will be, so it's not like we will miss you.

I also gave you my blessing to continue spouting your tired old line that Obama and McCain are identical. You go for it. After realizing that sort of thinking gave us 8 years of George W. Bush, very few people are buying that load of crap anymore.

Voter turnout expected to be high for Pennsylvania primary

Allegheny County elections officials expect double the number of Democrats to vote in Tuesday's presidential primary, compared to the primary of 2004.

Kevin Evanto, a spokesman for county Chief Executive Dan Onorato, said elections officials are predicting 60 percent turnout among Democrats, and about 30 percent turnout among Republicans.

The hotly contested race between Democratic presidential hopefuls Sen. Barack Obama and Sen. Hillary Clinton has pushed voter interest in the Pennsylvania primary to near-record highs.

The county is putting extra machines, poll workers and provisional ballots at the polling stations in precincts near the universities, in Oakland and Shadyside, Evanto said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pennsylvania Forecast: Clear Skies, Clinton Victory

Here’s the conventional wisdom as of the morning of the Pennsylvania primary: Hillary Clinton is leading in nearly every recent poll and has gained ground in the last few days. The good weather will probably benefit her more than Barack Obama. Unprecedented voter registration is a good sign for Obama, but it probably won’t be enough. Of course, this campaign has been anything but conventional.

Well, it ain't over until the fat lady sings.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:27 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Catherine wrote:
Unprecedented voter registration is a good sign for Obama, but it probably won’t be enough.

Let's be a little more specific here. Unprecedented Democratic voter registration is a good sign for the Democrats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:34 pm 

Only a complete lopsided victory will give it to Obama. Anything close and New Hampshire II might rear its ugly head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

PA goes to Clinton, but Why the Democratic race could end in North Carolina

Quote:
RALEIGH, N.C. — The end could be near.
Or the endgame, at least, of a surprisingly drawn-out Democratic presidential contest. Four months and 42 states after the opening Iowa caucuses, the primary in North Carolina on May 6 now looms as a pivotal final showdown between Illinois Sen. Barack Obama and New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Obama starts with a double-digit lead in polls here, a state where 2,400 free tickets to his rally at the War Memorial Auditorium in Greensboro last week were gone within three hours of the announcement he would appear. But Clinton has appeal in the Tar Heel State, too, and is competing hard. The day after Obama's rally, she drew 1,000 supporters to the gym at Terry Sanford High School in Fayetteville for a town hall meeting.

"I really believe May 6 has the potential to be everything," says Joe Trippi, a strategist for the presidential bids of former North Carolina senator John Edwards this year and Howard Dean in 2004. "Every day you see increased pressure on Hillary Clinton about why she's staying in, and if she could win in North Carolina it would shut down that kind of talk and open up the possibility she could get there" to the nomination.

"But if he wins in North Carolina," Trippi says of Obama, "I think you're going to see things close up very quickly. You'll see a lot of superdelegates line up behind him.
"

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:19 am 

Intresting.

Here's a little side note to ruminate on as we wind down the primary season. Hillary and Barack are still battling it out to win the nomination. Since there is nothing set in stone as yet, they both need to spend like crazy, Clinton even more than Obama. On the other hand, McCain's breeze through the Republican primaries has allowed him to do fund raisers in anticipation of the post-convention race.

Way back in the beginning I remember that McCain had trouble getting cash. I actually thought he had no chance to win the nomination, let alone the presidency.

McCain Got Loan by Pledging to Seek Federal Funds
By Matthew Mosk
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, February 16, 2008; A10
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 39_pf.html

I bet that was the best loan he ever took out. I doubt that Obama will be very cash-strapped after the convention, but Clinton has been teetering on insolvency for a while now.

The other major difference to note is the rhetoric spewed by each candidate. Hillary and Barack are still slugging it out. At this stage of the campaign, a negative ad could be a lot more powerful than a positive one. Both have to persuade the Democratic populace at large that they're the right one for you, even though you originally voted for Kucinich, Romney or someone else. So it's just as effective, if not more so, to portray the other person in a bad light. It's just as powerful for them to elicit a, "Oh yeah, that's why I didn't want to vote for that person in the first place, now I remember."

Again, McCain is just sitting back enjoying the show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:37 am 

well i hope obama does better in nc than he did here in pa.

looks like the race card played a bigger roll than i thought it would.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:50 am 

i'm a little down as i realize how truely ignorant the electorate is.

just saw a statistic that said 75% of clinton voters said the race of a candidate matters. this was shown on msnbc.

trouble is, true dem voters who voted against obama because he's black don't realize that they just gave mcsame the opportunity to pull a victory out of his ass in the fall.

and then you'll be seeing that bush 3rd term.

idiots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:07 am 

rooster,

Be careful. If you continue like that, people will say that you've taken the red pill. That's dangerous.

I am very saddened at the reasoning given by many voters as to the issues which will sway them one way or another. MLK said that it shouldn't be the color of one's skin, but the content of one's character that we need to look at. That was over 40 years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:09 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

rooster wrote:
well i hope obama does better in nc than he did here in pa.

He will. I was not at all surprised. It's all demographics. Pennsylvania's demographics are very similar to Ohio, but it has an even older population than does Ohio. I always expected Hillary to do better than the polls showed, just as she did in Ohio.

North Carolina is vastly different. It's demographics are closer to those of Wisconsin, with the large number of universities. Obama won Wisconsin by 17 points. He currently leads Clinton by 13% in the polls in North Carolina.

Looking at all of the upcoming primaries, Clinton will not be able to make up any more ground. The rest of the election will be a wash, with Clinton taking Kentucky and West Virginia, while Obama will win N. Carolina, Oregon. Indiana will be close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:11 pm 

shoeless,

To your point, I have a very old friend who lives near Salem, Or, and he concurs with your reasoning. The prevailing opinion is Obama and guns. I don't know where the second amendment came into the conversation, but he made a point of putting the two together several times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:34 am 

toeg wrote:
Intresting.

Here's a little side note to ruminate on as we wind down the primary season. Hillary and Barack are still battling it out to win the nomination. Since there is nothing set in stone as yet, they both need to spend like crazy, Clinton even more than Obama. On the other hand, McCain's breeze through the Republican primaries has allowed him to do fund raisers in anticipation of the post-convention race.

Way back in the beginning I remember that McCain had trouble getting cash. I actually thought he had no chance to win the nomination, let alone the presidency.

McCain Got Loan by Pledging to Seek Federal Funds
By Matthew Mosk
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, February 16, 2008; A10
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 39_pf.html

I bet that was the best loan he ever took out. I doubt that Obama will be very cash-strapped after the convention, but Clinton has been teetering on insolvency for a while now.

The other major difference to note is the rhetoric spewed by each candidate. Hillary and Barack are still slugging it out. At this stage of the campaign, a negative ad could be a lot more powerful than a positive one. Both have to persuade the Democratic populace at large that they're the right one for you, even though you originally voted for Kucinich, Romney or someone else. So it's just as effective, if not more so, to portray the other person in a bad light. It's just as powerful for them to elicit a, "Oh yeah, that's why I didn't want to vote for that person in the first place, now I remember."

Again, McCain is just sitting back enjoying the show.

It looks like I'm not the only one who noticed that McCain is just watching the Democrats self-destruct.

http://therealnews.com/id/1400/20080424 ... nelectable

Again, I'm not hoping this will bode bad for the Dems, but I can't help opening my eyes and seeing what's right in front of them. The Real News is doing the same thing as well. Tom Hayden was one of the Chicago 8 in 1968. I remember him well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:13 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

toeg, I have a question. Why do you care? For someone who claims there is no difference between Barak Obama and John McCain, you sure spend a lot of time analyzing an election which you believe means absolutlely nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:53 am 

Ah shoeless,

That's where you're wrong. I never said it meant nothing. This is obviously one of the key events this year. Just because I don't see much difference between the candidates doesn't mean that I'm not watching the story.

I'm analyzing the events as they unfold and posting my observations here. If you don't want to see them, simply avoid clicking on this thread.

btw, I also knew that the US lost in Iraq even before the invasion started. Afghanistan the same. That doesn't mean that I'm completely disinterested while hundreds of people die. I hope that I can touch enough people that some may actually open their eyes to what is going on. I don't only post here. I also have my own forum and I touch other ones as well. Like I say, the european ones are the ones that really get into the meat and potatoes of why it's happening this way, rather than just discussing that it is going this way. That's where the debate is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:53 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Jeez, don't get your undies in a bunch. I was just curious as to why someone would devote so much time and energy to a race between two candidates who are so similar. How can it be a key event, if there is so little difference? Sounds pretty uneventful to me. I guess when you never have a candidate of your own, you become interested vicariously through others.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next