It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Announcement on Changes to This Day in History
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:19 am 

Announcement on Changes to This Day in History

I'm sure those you care have noticed a recent lack of new postings for my This Day in History blog. The reasons for this are varied but the first is that March is just the most hectic of times for me. The second is that the posts had become a very mechanical and uninteresting process. The third and most important was I began to feel the posts were redundant and ineffective. This year brought an early Easter but also 4,000 known American deaths in Iraq along with the five-year anniversary of our illegal and immoral invasion and occupation. I have previously stated in my other blog that my top and only priority is getting the US out of Iraq. With these milestones and a post (by anniefey) on the TV New Lies board where I'm fairly active, I have become determined to try to counter act the syndromes mentioned in that post. They are 1. Namnesia: forgetting the lessons of Vietnam, and 2. Vietnambien Syndrome: sleepwalking through war with delusions of inevitable victory reminiscent of Vietnam (also called Vietnambulism, a type of somnambulism peculiar to neo-conservatives). One of the reasons I am so adamantly opposed to the occupation of Iraq is I well remember the lessons of Vietnam, the deaths of over 58,000 Americans and deaths in the millions of Vietnamese. I am currently gathering the data and information to make This Day in History much more Vietnam aware and a more effective place for getting us out of Iraq. I would ask my loyal readers to be patient because doing this right is going to take some time and effort.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:18 am 

Good luck APL. Your posts are always interesting, but it is natural to want to change somewhat from time to time.

I am sure your new approach will be as good or better than your previous ones.

And thank you for always noticing that which is important. That alone makes you special.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject: A Proud Liberal has New Blog
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:21 am 

What is Namnesia Antidote?

1. Namnesia: forgetting the lessons of Vietnam.
2. Vietnambien Syndrome: sleepwalking through war with delusions of inevitable victory reminiscent of Vietnam (also called Vietnambulism, a type of somnambulism peculiar to neo-conservatives).
Namnesia Antidote is an attempt by A Proud Liberal to reverse these dangerous syndromes.

When a fellow poster, anniefey, made a post at the TV News Lies Board about these two syndromes I was struck by the pervasiveness of this type of thinking when it comes to the occupation of Iraq. The warmongers in the administration and Congress not only suffer from <b>Namnesia</b> but have gone out of their way to spread the infection. When George "War Criminal" Bush talks about not repeating the mistakes of Vietnam, he is stating our error was withdrawing prematurely and leaving <b>only</b> 58,168 known dead Americans. He is determined to "stay the course" indefinitely in Iraq, no matter the cost in human lives and resources. When anniefey made her post it was with two unhappy coincidences; the five-year anniversary of the Iraq invasion and the occasion of the 4,000th American causality. We had once again failed to learn from history and were doomed to repeating the same errors.

Posts on this blog begin on March 23rd. In 2008, this was both Easter and the date of the aforementioned 4,000th causality. The names posted on this blog are from the Vietnam War Memorial Wall as extracted from the No Quarter organization website. Any errors in the extraction are mine and I apologize in advance for them. While a laudable goal would be to have a posting for everyone whose name appears on The Wall, it is just not feasible for a one-man operation. What I will attempt here is to have posted for each day of the year two lists of these names; the first commemorating the date of death and the second celebrating the birth of those who gave their lives. I encourage anyone to post comments on these individuals, when such a comment is posted, I will attempt to create an individual post with more detailed information for that person. This will give family, friends and supporters the chance to collectively honor and remember these fallen service men. I will post these individual posts by birthdates.

The information on this blog will also appear in my This Day in History blog daily posts. I hope this double posting will give some additional exposure to these men and women while aiding in combating <b>Namnesia</b>.

Permanent Backlink to Blog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:31 am 

What a fantastic site APL. I don't know anyone who died in that war, but do know people who were irreparability harmed in 'the war'. In every case, their lives never were repaired.

I will send your site name out to people and hope they can comment on anyone they know who died during that awful mistake our country made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:43 pm 

dori wrote:
I will send your site name out to people and hope they can comment on anyone they know who died during that awful mistake our country made.

There may be some initial frustration in using the site until a complete list of dates are posted but that should not be for more than a couple of weeks. I have been able to post about a month per day. I am also developing a couple of general indices for when the complete year is posted. Only after I am happy with Namnesia Antidote, will This Day in History be back-filled.

Post subject: UPDATE
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:37 am 

As of this posting there are 132 days posted (March 23 to July 31), or slightly more than one-third. Best case means I'll be done in a week but more than likely 10 days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:51 am 

I am proud to know people who care, and work for the benefit of others.

Thank you, APL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:51 pm 

The core posts for the website are now complete. The first unique index I'll be working on is age at time of death. This piece of information has to be calculated from the extracted information and therefore will make the index unique in terms of information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:14 am 

That is a different approach than I have heard before, and a very good one! This should help people a great deal.

Good thinking!