It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:53 pm 

Again shoeless,

Some minor corrections for you.

1. I don't wear undies that bunch.

2. If the fifteen or twenty minutes per day that I spend on this forum seems like a lot to you, I'd suggest that you should micromanage less the time management of others. I do spend hours researching news from around the world. I don't post that here. What I post here are things that I think might be of use to a few of you. You apparently are altogether too baffled by this task. There's no need to scratch your head in amazement and wonder at what I'm doing. I am merely posting a few notes that I find during my daily research of news. I certainly don't bore you with all the rest.

3. As far as key events are concerned, perhaps a better definition of the term would help you understand. There are several key events happening around the world at this very moment.

3.1 US Elections

3.2 Daily events in Iraq and Afghanistan.

3.3 The developing saga of the militias in Iraq and their connection with Iran.

3.4 The battle for sympathy between FARC and Uribe.

3.5 The price of oil.

3.6 The US recession and its effects worldwide

3.7 The crash of the dollar

3.8 The increasing use of other currencies other than the dollar.

3.9 The upcoming war with Iran

3.10 The rigged elections in Myanmar

3.11 The continuing teacher's strike in Oaxaca

3.12 The Bank of the South's emergence

3.13 The use of poisons in our everyday use products

3.14 Global Warming

3.15 The newly elected leftist ex-bishop in Paraguay.

3.16 The continuing problems in Bolivia and the possible separation of the country.

3.17 The food riots in Haiti, Asia and elsewhere

3.18 The new face of Cuba

3.19 The emerging gigantic oil field in the US and Canada

3.20 The upcoming disaster in Pakistan and what about their nukes??

3.21 The nuclear pact beetween India and the US and its global impact

3.22 The growing concern of weapons in outer space and its impact

3.23 China's and India's emergence on the global stage as world economic powerhouses. All the corresponding effects that will have with Global Warming, existing alliances, etc.

3.24 Venezuela's emergence as an economic powerhouse in South America.

There's a lot more, but hopefully you get the point. It appears for some reason that you feel I wait all day at my desk in trembling anticipation of the few minutes I might spend on this forum discussing two topics. I assure you I am not that shallow. The above is but a very small list of what I track in my research on a daily basis and it's by no means in order of importance.

Hopefully this post will give you the insight you need to understand that the two threads I am following here do not, in any way shape or form, constitute all of my day. I don't think it's above 5%, if that. As I said before, you are not obligated, to the best of my knowledge, to read this thread and the posts herein. I hope you gleen something worthwhile if you do decide to read and post here, but let me assure you, that this is definitely NOT the only place I post, nor the only topics I'm watching.

I am connected to many different news services who email me topics as they come to them. It's just easier for me to handle so many topics that way. You can certainly join in on any of the other topics should you choose to do so, but this is all I'm posting here for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:21 pm 

shoeless,

Here's a case in point. I subscribe to Energy and Capital. They tend to move their stories in the direction of whichever portfolio they're hyping, but they do have very fresh and important news. I got this earlier today and I thought, "Here's an opportunity to show shoeless what I'm talking about."

Quote:
Why You Can Still Profit from China's Coal Crisis
By Sam Hopkins | Thursday, April 24th, 2008
How much energy do you need to make it through a couple of weeks?
After you're done figuring in the work commute, taking the kids wherever they need to go, and assuming you like to see what you're doing at night, the average U.S. household goes through about 350 kilowatt-hours in 14 days.
This spring, Chinese consumers are frantically tallying their own fortnightly consumption, because the national coal stockpile has shrunk to only enough for 15 days.
And that's the best-case scenario according to some in the Middle Kingdom, where coal is the only royalty left.
Vice President of the national electricity regulator, Wang Yeping, and the head of China Power Investment Corporation, Liu Shuo, both told media that the real reserve number may be down to a mere 7 days.
One week of the primary energy source for an economy growing steadily in double-digits per year!
Now tell me we're not in an energy crisis.
China's Coal Crisis Persists

The United States Department of Energy says that coal consumption is expected to increase by 74% from 2004 to 2030, with coal jumping by 44% in about the same time span.
Contrary to popular belief, the world isn't trending away from coal consumption as we undergo a clean energy epiphany.
The DOE reference case has coal use increasing as a percentage of total energy consumption, up to 28% in 2030 from 26% today.
China plays a large part in that rise, it being in the process of constructing more than 500 coal-fired power plants to fuel greater demand for electricity in private and public applications.
After all, it's not just new skyscrapers and their microwave-happy denizens chugging juice—it's streetlights and Olympic sites too.
Plus, hundreds of millions of rural Chinese have yet to gain their first grid access, meaning the strain will increase.

If what this story says is even remotely true, China is already behind the eight ball. They won't go short on their energy needs, trust me. Their economy is booming, has been booming for over ten years, and they are not about to slow the gravy train down over energy consumption. Plus, the Olympics are just around the corner and for the first time in modern history China will be hosting a worldwide event. I don't know if you saw the clips a while back, but spitting on the ground in China, which has been commonplace everywhere up to now, is now against the law.

This means only one thing. China will be hitting the world market and paying top dollar to replenish their coal needs. If you have stock in coal anywhere, nows the time to up it big time. It's very likely that coal will soon replace oil as the larger jump in prices year over year.

We could go over other aspects about either subject matter here, coal shortages or China's growing need, but this illustrates what I look at as far as key events are concerned.

One more small trivia for you. In China parents are allowed to have only one child. This has been going on for decades now. To top it off, there is a strict bias against female offspring and in favor of males offspring. Decades of trending in that direciton. Well, China is now finding itself with a surplus of males. MILLIONS MORE. This happened once before in their history. One of the smaller privinces had about 800,000 more males than females. With that much untapped testosterone building up inside, these condemned bachelors starting raiding other provinces killing the men and raping and stealing the women. This is like a smoldering volcano that could erupt at any moment.

Anyway, there you have another subject matter I'm following intently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:01 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Yes, I see you are interested in a lot of things, including a presidential race which you see as having no meaning whatsoever. And, for some reason, you feel the need to tell us everyday how unimportant the presidential race is, as you believe it makes no difference which of the candidates gets elected.

All of the other stories you mentioned in your list are very important. It seems the only meaningless event in which you are interested is the US Presidential campaign, and you have that non-event at the top of your list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:23 pm 

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,

Shoeless. I don't know if you deliberately missed this sentence from me, or you're just playing some weird "gotcha" game:

Quote:
The above is but a very small list of what I track in my research on a daily basis and it's by no means in order of importance.

Thus, the fact that it was listed at the top has no significance whatsoever. I get the funny feeling that you're just writing whatever comes to mind without reading my posts and understanding them. I post here because people respond to my posts here. I speak my mind, nothing more.

I cerated this thread here because I felt important to expose a fundamental side of US politics that appeared to be missing elsewhere on this forum. You have seen my reasons. I don't believe we need to go any further along that path.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:54 pm 

:shock: :shock: :shock:

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Last edited by A Proud Liberal on Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:16 am 

Well,

I feel quite honored to be the actual theme of a thread. You can certainly have your own opinion. As to the veracity of your claims, I'll leave that up to others here.

If indeed, as you state, that everyone here is tired of my posts and what I say in them, I think it'd be quite easy for you, or any other moderator here, to simply do away with me with but a couple of clicks. To carry on insulting me elsewhere seems rather cheesy on your part.

Anyway, enjoy your thead. I'm sure you'll find ample material going forward to post about. And again, the power is in your hands, not mine. I'm a simple poster here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:21 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but:

A Selzer & Co poll of likely Indiana voters taken April 20-23 for Indianapolis Star /WTHR-TV shows Obama leading Clinton 41%-38%. In general election matchups, this poll shows Obama leads McCain 49%-41%, while Clinton and McCain are tied at 46% apiece.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/politics/b ... 080425.htm

After nearly two months of character assassination by the Clinton campaign, the RNC, and the entire MSM, Obama has a sizable lead over McCain in a state won by George W. Bush twice. That is an amazing stat considering the fact that John McCain is getting a free ride during this feeding frenzy on Barak Obama.

Who knows? Perhaps some arrogant, self-absorbed bloggers, who have assured the eminent coronation of John McCain in a meaningless presidential election could be wrong. Maybe the American people will decide both, who will be president, and whether the election matters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:25 am 

I would guess by the number of boards that have already kicked you off, you enjoy your martyr complex. While giving you the right to post your crap, we do not give up the right of calling it what it is. Having the right to post something does not make it right as you amply prove on a daily basis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Most of what is on toeg's "interest list" will be minimized or obliterated altogether if John McCain is NOT elected president.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:53 am 

Shoeless,

Thanks for the link. I think it's a bit premature to claim that Obama has already won the elections in November based on one article from the US news. Here is one article from the Washington Monthly from May, 2004, that states that there is a chance Kerry would "win big" in Movenber. I guess they were premature as well. Actually, I believe that the polls will teeter back and forth quite a bit before November, the same as it did in 2004.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/featur ... .todd.html

APL,

I feel your angst. That makes an awful lot of posts you've dedicated to trashing another poster. Wouldn't it be a little simpler for you to just ignore me? I'm sure you can find something positive to do with the amount of time you'll gain by not attacking me.

And I think I am within my rights here to request that those who wish to poste here and/or read the posts of others here, should follow the theme of the thread and not just spam. Hopefully, that's not asking too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:55 am 

Catherine wrote:
Most of what is on toeg's "interest list" will be minimized or obliterated altogether if John McCain is NOT elected president.

Catherine,

I'm impressed with your bold assertion. Can you show me more precisely just which ones you're speaking of and how you arrived at your conclusion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:04 am 

toeg wrote:
And I think I am within my rights here to request that those who wish to poste here and/or read the posts of others here, should follow the theme of the thread and not just spam. Hopefully, that's not asking too much.

What right would that be? Starting a thread does NOT make one a moderator of that thread. So when you post crap it is asking too much to be ignored.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:16 am 

APL,

I was talking about these:

Quote:
TVNL Membership involves obeying these behavior guidelines. NO one should be subject to abuse, and no right is absolute. Free Speech on a privately owned board has some limits.

Quote:
TVNL FORUM GUIDELINES:

1. DO NOT POST Personal Attacks, Racist, and/or Bigoted Statements that are deliberately insulting, obscene, and/or suggest physical harm to another TVNL member. You will have NO warning if it is determined by the governing board that the statements were made with malice. Your account will be deactivated. ( *PLEASE SEE THE FIRST AMENDMENT)

Quote:
5.[b] DO NOT POST Off-topics. These may be moved to a more appropriate thread and/or forum at the discretion of the moderators or the administrators.

http://tvnewslies.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6862

If I've misunderstood the above guidelines, please show me where.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:29 am 

You mean off-topic such as your post? Your ideas are attacked and you have not been threatened in any manner, so enough of your Philadelphia lawyering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:37 am 

Again APL,

Please stick to the topic of this thread. I shouldn't have to defend myself every other post due to insulting behavior by others. If indeed, you feel that my statemenst are "crap" I'll be more than happy to discuss them with you, but just saying that they are "crap" doesn't make them so.

We can debate the merits of this thread and my assertions as much as you want, but I would respectfully ask that you refrain from mentioning that my ideas are "crap". That is tantamount to saying that I have "crappy" ideas, and as a result am less than you or others who don't have "crappy" ideas.

I can see that you are extremely upset. As an adult, I'm sure you can channel your hostilities into a cohesive post or two that would engage these ideas, their merits or lack thereof, and demonstrate the logic you used to arrive at those conclusions.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next