It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WHAT FOODS ARE YOU STOCKPILING?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

PURPLE TANG thought we should start a thread about the stockpiling of food. He wrote:

Quote:
I am stockpiling food. These are my chief buys:
pinto beans
cannned corn, peas, beans, and tomatoes
sugar
bread flour & bread machine
whole wheat spaghetti
cereals
canned tuna
peanut butter & jelly
mashed potato mix
dried hash browns

I think we should do a thread where members exchange ideas on surviving the economic shocks being delivered courtesy of our elite.

Ever the good administrator, I am granting Purple Tang's wish. Now, all we need are lots of responses from other members who are also stockpiling foods. :D

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

HOW TO STOCKPILE FOOD

AND I found this funny site that is from 2006:

THE MORMONS AND THE ROACHES WILL OUTLIVE US ALL!

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:08 pm 

While I am not stockpiling food, I am growing the hell out of it right now and plan to can, dry and freeze everything I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm stockpiling dried beans and rice...I can't grow the rice, but I'm also growing a veggie garden, and I'll be doing the usual canning and freezing.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:02 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

bird seed so you can catch birds for dinner 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:14 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

My local Sams Club and Costco have both quit carrying bags of rice. That is not a good sign at all.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:13 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Catherine wrote:
HOW TO STOCKPILE FOOD

AND I found this funny site that is from 2006:

THE MORMONS AND THE ROACHES WILL OUTLIVE US ALL!

This writer from your link is both informed and hilarious:

"I am a mormon/roach. We *own* stockpiling. I am talking about people doing this for decades, and not just buying tons of freeze dried crap that you would have to be starving to eat, but rotating their suppies, so you learn to cook from your "food storage."

It may come off as a whacko survivalist move, but it's remarkably helpful to have a room full of food. You cut back on impulse trips to the store, and it's a nice buffer if you have unexpected expenses during a month. Plus, it's harder to dip into food storage than it is to dip into savings.

When we lived in Kentucky, whenever a little snow or ice hit, there would be runs on bread and milk at Kroger's, and we'd be forcibly reminded that the food supply chain is fragile at best.

My point being, is that having some food on hand doesn't need to be tied to a particularly ideology or millenialist worldview, and makes some sense.

Here's an online calculator (lds sight--may offend some)

Here are some general tips which I've absorbed over the years:

1. store stuff you'll actually eat.
2. white rice keeps well. Grains with oils (brown rice, other) may not.
3. Weevils or other nasties will infiltrate grains stored in their original packaging, or hatch from within grains, so you have to freeze it or use moisture-absorbing packets, or small pieces of dry ice.
4. Stewart Brand wrote an excellent article on his experiences with the last SF earthquake. He pointed out that knowing your neighbors and having a neighborhood skills inventory was vital (among other good suggestions).
5. Water is probably more important than the food, if you had to choose.
6. If space is cramped, you can use bed risers. Hard to rotate if it's hard to get to.
7. Laugh if you must, but wheat is cheap and dense. If you learned to cook with whole wheat it would make the process simpler. Of course, that's assuming you'll have electricity and fuel. Hand grinders are workable, but it's arguable that you'll burn calories operating it. Still, eating freshly ground grains is a treat. See Laurel's Kitchen Cookbook for lots of whole grain recipes and advice. Once you've had freshly ground cornbread, you'll never go back to that bitter, rancid stuff they sell at grocery stores.
8. Get an industrial blender and try making Blender pancakes. We like to use "white" whole wheat, which is lighter and IMO tastier than hard red.

Basically, you are either going to store a bunch of canned food and bottled water under your bed, in anticipation of a minor crisis, or cross the line and become a food storage geek. If you become a food storage geek, then you're talking lifestyle choice, and getting weird looks from strangers and the mass of metafiler users, who I imagine as all living in a loft in SF doing web design and eating biscotti for dinner at the local coffee shop. (as long as we're slinging stereotypes..)"

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:40 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I figure that bugs would materialize out of nowhere and ruin the pinto beans so I threw them in a freezer.

Bugs do not eat sugar and sugar lasts forever....making it the perfect storage food.

I am wondering about my 25 lb bags of flour however. Same with my whole wheat spaghetti....which I feel is safer.

I think that bug eggs are already in some foods and that is why bugs appear out of nowhere given enough time.

Storing foods in the basement will prolong longevity due to the inherent coolness of basements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:37 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Something to remember.

SALT. Buy and store a lot of it, it is very important.

Also, if you are on any medication which is necessary to your survival, stock up on it.

If you live in or near a city, do not bother stocking anything. Be prepared to leave, find a safe haven. You will not want to be in or near city's. Have a plan please!!!

Listen, for those of you who know me on this site, if you live in a city and have no place else to go, no relatives or friends who live in the country that you can go to, please feel free to PM me. I will tell you where I am going and you will be more than welcome.

Also, BUY A SURVIVAL MANUAL. It could save you.

Carry a knife with you at all times. This one tool is very, very, very helpful.

Most important. Learn how to create a fire without matches or a lighter. Especially if you live in the northern states, it will mean life or death.

I grew up in the woods. Hunting, fishing, collecting and gathering. I'm really not too worried about taking care of myself.....as long as I can make it up there. Its tough but doable.

The problem will be for those who have no clue as to how to take care of themselves. Many of these people who live in the city have had their asses wiped from birth till death for generations. We will be looking at lawlessness, roving gangs, and chaos if things get really bad.

Plan an escape. Wherever you plan to go very well may have to be on foot and quickly. I personally will be on the move with only my wife, and possibly a couple of other people whom I know and trust. I will attempt to remain out of site, and hidden. If I cross paths with anyone, I will have no choice but to consider them a threat until they are able to prove otherwise.

Drastic? Very. Drastic times call for drastic measures. Be very wary.

None of this may be needed, but being prepared will increase your chance of survival....unless you decide to count on the government to help you. If you do....well good luck with that.

Be prepared for the worst, hope for the best. In other words, if you plan to stockpile everything at your home, fully expecting to remain there, you are leaving yourself at risk. What if things get really bad in your area and you find you have to leave in a hurry? Will you be prepared for that because that is the worst case scenario.

I'm NOT saying to not stockpile at your home, I'm saying that in order to be fully prepared you had best be able to live in the wild for a (hopefully) limited amount of time with the knowledge that if you are able to return to your house, everything may very well be gone.

Buy a backpack and keep in it rope, a flint and steel, waterproof matches, a compass and a topographical map of your area, any clothes that you will NEED will probably be the most important. Also pack some antiseptic and assorted bandages. A little cut can turn nasty.

I hope the pack just sits there, but I'll tell you what, if need be I can be out of this place and into the woods in less than 15 mins. I value nothing in this house more than I value the life of myself and my wife.

Once again. This is worst case scenario. You may need none of it, but if you do, it will be there for you.

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good advice, CE. I know our dollar has shrunken to almost no value, but it might still be important to have a bit of cash crammed into the old sock as well as all the other stuff you mentioned.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:49 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Couple of other things I noticed tonight while getting everything together.

Fishing line, some hooks (assorted) and sinkers. I suppose you could throw in one of them telescopic fishing poles if you desired. I didnt bother.

Crank Radio.

Information is important. This is something that you should have at your house anyways, but if you dont it is well worth it. Gives you a connection to the outside world so you can know what is going on.

Also, (which I do not have, I'll have to pick up!!!). One of those flashlights that do not need batteries. Number one, it helps to have a flashlight at night, obviously, but also it helps a bit to calm the mind when you are out in the deep dark woods. Helps to keep away the boogie man if you will.

If I note anything else of importance, I'll drop back in.

Crimson.

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.