It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Jesus Myth
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:38 am 

Quote:
Thanks to centuries of the most insistent and aggressive indoctrination campaign the world has ever seen, the biography of Jesus is familiar to more people than any other. Socrates, Charlemagne, Shakespeare, Napoleon: there are many who have never heard of them, or who only vaguely recognize their names. But all of Western civilization and most of the rest of the world "knows" Jesus' life story.

Everybody "knows" that Jesus was begotten by a god and born of a virgin, attended by angels, shepherds, and gift-giving wise men. His infancy was threatened by an evil king who had babies slaughtered in a futile effort to kill him. When grown, he gathered a group of 12 disciples and went about teaching that his adherents would gain eternal life. He walked on water, healed the sick, exorcised devils, made the blind see and the lame walk.

He was anointed with chrism and thus made into a Christ (which means "anointed one") by a mysterious woman who may or may not have been his lover, depending on which gospel you read, and who was the sole official annunciator of his later resurrection. After a triumphal procession accompanied by waving palms and the traditional obsequies of a sacred king, he attended a meal at which he was symbolically cannibalized, the eating of his flesh and blood deemed necessary for his followers' absolution. Then he was scourged, crucified, died and descended into the underworld. Later he returned to earth, apparently alive again, and then ascended bodily into the sky, where he somehow still lives and pays attention to all the doings of humanity. These things are "known," and commemorated every year, over and over.

But during the past century or so, scholars have shown that all these "known" details of Jesus' life story are mythic: that is, they were told for many centuries before his time about many previous savior-gods and legendary heroes in pre-Christian lore. Not a single detail of Jesus' life story can be considered authentic. Some investigators have tried to peel away the layers of myth in search of a historical core, but this task is like peeling the layers of an onion. It seems that there is no core. The layers of myth go all the way to the center.

One of the problems faced by Christian scholars is that there is no record of Jesus' existence in any contemporary source. The earliest literature concerning him was written by Paul, who never knew him or anyone else who might have known him, and who never heard anything about his life story. Paul mentioned none of these now-so-familiar details, which were added much later by unknown writers who pretended to bear the names of various disciples, and who sprinkled their writings with mythic data gathered from sacred-king traditions of contemporary Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Persian, and Levantine salvation cults.

By Barbara G. Walker

The rest can be found here: [url]ffrf.org/fttoday/2007/aug/walker.php[/url] (for some reason, I cannot get this to hyperlink, just copy and paste and it will take you right to the article)

This is an awesome explanation for why I personally don't believe in any god and essentially why I am an atheist. From now on, when someone questions my nonbelief, I am going to hand them a copy of this article.[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
thus she was still considered a virgin, she could remain in the village, and her family's honor was intact.

Interesting, shoe! Kind of like the anullments the Catholics give out in certain circumstances, so they don't have to acknowledge they've been married before?

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:31 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Catherine wrote:
Quote:
thus she was still considered a virgin, she could remain in the village, and her family's honor was intact.

Interesting, shoe! Kind of like the anullments the Catholics give out in certain circumstances, so they don't have to acknowledge they've been married before?

Yes, good analogy. It is interesting to see the rationalizations people come up with when the intolerance of religious dogma seriously interferes with the practical considerations of the real world.

That just reminded me of a weird story I read the other day.

Quote:
Giuliani has insisted his family relationships are private. In 1968, he married his cousin, Regina Peruggi. They divorced 14 years later, and Giuliani obtained an annulment from the Catholic Church on the grounds that as second cousins, they should have received a dispensation to marry.

Giuliani Cites Bible on Personal Life

:lol:

So, when Rudi wanted to get his marriage to his cousin annulled after 14 years, he blamed the church because he didn't seek a dispensation to violate Catholic dictum against marrying his kin in the first place! How freaking cynical is that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sounds like a Republican Catholic!

I remember seeing the movie Casanova. In one scene, a beautiful young girl is asking a priest if he can make her a virgin again, and he says YES! :lol:

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: The Jesus Myth
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:48 am 
Involved
Involved

Maybe this happened before but it seems like there is a big fashion at the moment for questioning the version of Christ's life told in the bible. Don't get me wrong, I basically buy the argument that what we think we know of JC's life is probably just a collection of stories hashed together over time by different cultures.

Just interesting that society at the moment is so keen to suggest that Christ's real life is not what we know.

Holy Blood Holy Grail
THe Da Vinci Code (based on HBHG)
and this weavers video, which has JC as a misinterpreted gnostic:
www.history-of-the-cathars.com

Tells you something about our own time IMHO.

Skip out for beer during commercials,
Because the revolution will not be televised.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:01 pm 

Throughout history there have been freethinkers, but we are usually ostracized (as most freethinkers are still today) and stay in the shadows or keep our beliefs to ourselves and small groups of people we can trust.

While you are right in saying those three specifically popular things have brought light to the fact that MANY people don't believe in god, or at least don't believe in the way its been portrayed to us; while, in fact, there have been non-believers ever since the inception of the religion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:27 pm 
Involved
Involved

lefty wrote:
While you are right in saying those three specifically popular things have brought light to the fact that MANY people don't believe in god, or at least don't believe in the way its been portrayed to us; while, in fact, there have been non-believers ever since the inception of the religion.

Yep, and those people who openly question the portrayal of god in mainstream religious thought are ostracized or persecuted. The Gnostics, Cathars/weavers are just a particularly obvious example.

Skip out for beer during commercials,
Because the revolution will not be televised.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:24 am 

What is always hard for me is that I am the weirdo, yet I am the one who DOESN'T believe in an unsubstantiated fairy tale.