It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: British Writer Attempts Citizen’s Arrest on John Bolton
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:40 pm 

Alleging War Crimes, British Activist, Writer George Monbiot Attempts Citizen’s Arrest on Former UN Ambassador John Bolton

Quote:

John Bolton, the former US ambassador to the United Nations, escaped a citizen’s arrest Wednesday night as he addressed an audience in Britain. We speak to George Monbiot, the British activist and columnist who tried to arrest Bolton. Monbiot says Bolton is a war criminal for his role in helping to initiate the US invasion of Iraq.

Guest: George Monbiot, columnist for the Guardian of London and activist. His latest book is Bring On the Apocalypse: Collected Writing.

AMY GOODMAN: John Bolton, the former US ambassador to the United Nations, escaped a citizen’s arrest Wednesday night as he addressed an audience gathered at the Hay Festival in Wales. Security guards blocked the path of columnist and activist George Monbiot, who tried to make the arrest as Bolton left the stage. Monbiot planned the action, because he says Bolton is a war criminal for his role in helping to initiate the invasion of Iraq in 2003 while he served as US undersecretary of state for arms control.
George Monbiot joins us now on the phone from England. He is a widely read columnist for the Guardian of London and the author of numerous books. His latest is Bring On the Apocalypse: Collected Writing. Actually, he joins us now from Wales. Welcome to Democracy Now!, George Monbiot.

GEORGE MONBIOT: Thanks very much, Amy. Thank you.

AMY GOODMAN: Tell us exactly what happened.

GEORGE MONBIOT: Well, I made my intention clear to perform a citizen’s arrest of John Bolton. I wrote a charge sheet detailing exactly the role that he had played in launching a war of aggression in violation of international treaties, which is a clear violation of the Nuremberg Principles. And I took a dossier of evidence down to the local police station. I asked them to act on it. But when they failed to arrest Mr. Bolton, I tried to arrest him myself, and I tried to get up onto the stage as he was leaving it. And I called out, “John Robert Bolton, I am arresting you for the charge of aggression, the crime of aggression, as defined by the Nuremberg Principles.” But I was caught by two very large security guards and pulled out of the venue very quickly.
. . . . .

This goes along the lines of the Vermont town calling for the War Chimp's and Darth Cheney's arrest. The arrest and prosecution of this war cabal will most likely NEVER happen here in the US, but visiting foreign countries should become a hazardous pastime for these war criminals.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good for Mr. Monbiot! I'd read about his plans earlier in the week and I'm very glad to see that he acted on them. While he was unsuccessful in bringing an arrest about, he is certainly a very brave man.

George Bush has never visited Vermont....wonder why! :twisted:

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman