It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Advertising of Alcohol & Tobacco DVD
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Advertising of Alcohol & Tobacco

http://www.tvnewslies.org/cart/view_product.php?product=DEA3L21U15

Summary: In Deadly Persuasion: The Advertising of Alcohol & Tobacco, Jean Kilbourne exposes the manipulative marketing strategies and tactics used by the tobacco and alcohol industries to keep Americans hooked on their dangerous products. Illustrating her analysis with hundreds of current advertising examples from mainstream and trade sources, Kilbourne presents a compelling argument that these cynical industries have a clear and deep understanding of the psychology of addiction — an understanding they exploit to create and feed a life-threatening dependency on their products. Deadly Persuasion casts a critical eye on the corporate interests that lie behind the industries whose products kill more than 450,000 Americans each year.

Reviews and Comments

"This video is an excellent tool for educating students how to fight back against the corporate world of alcohol and tobacco advertising."
Janice Morello | RN

"Once again, Jean Kilbourne effectively summarizes the assault by the tobacco and alcohol industry on young people and other vulnerable populations. . . Deadly Persuasion offers a powerful and concise look at the impact of advertising on the abuse of the two deadliest drugs. Kilbourne not only outlines the problem, but offers concrete solutions to addressing this attack as well."
Robin Rieske | Prevention Consultant, Vermont Dept. of Health

"The information on tobacco and alcohol abuse is presented in a clear manner that can be understood by people who have only a small amount of knowledge concerning these issues. The graphics and commercial clips used really drive home the message of how well these products are marketed."
David Dias | Public Relations, American Lung Association of Santa Clara-San Benito Counties

Post subject: Wow! Think I better have a shot and a smoke!
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:48 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Where's CNN to tell us these facts. :oops: While booze and tobacco reap the profits, the medical industry collects whats left. They don't expect us to live anyway, much past the mid century so what do they care. Meanwhile, maryjane helps us to find the truth in life, unlike CNN, that claims to be the most trusted name in news, and gives us 5 minutes of news and the rest is advertising and bullshit entertainment, sports, business every 30 minutes. The most trusted name in hypocricy, is merely a 30 minute infomercial.

If the Natives make up 5% of your population Blacks, Hispanics and other colored 45%, and half of them drink and smoke, Thats about 30- 40% of the market. 3-4 out of 10. Half of the industry is probably from the marginalised. :evil:

The poor, oppressed and the overworked whites , stressed out and craving release, underage and seeking approval make up the other 6-7 out of 10. No wonder they keep people destitute, fear filled and paranoid psychotic. Where they could be getting healthy by stealing their money for food clothing and decent homes, not to mention the stereotyping,(Drunk Indian, Lazy Blackman ETC) they take away our greatest assets- strength of will and self esteem. All to deal with loneliness and pain. All to profit the grinding machine. We are a liquid asset to them. "The Smoker you drink, the player you get'. And we're being played. Our blood for their profit. :evil: This seems to create an environment of dependance on outside forces coming to our rescue. Like gOD, state, medicine, laws.

Did I say laws? I meant lies. :| You can remain neutral with a fucked up brain. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:28 am 

I love to hear that there is information available to people, something on a DVD that will increase a person's awareness of what is happening about all factors of our society. As is said, it is education that changes a person from a mindless follower to someone who thinks about what is happening--and that is where the left comes from.

Long live the left!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:29 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

sorry to say, i still smoke......which brings me to another issue: we invade iraq because an alleged brutal dictator killed several thousand people.......yet we don't bomb tobacco fields here at home while they kill several hundred thousand people (americans no less) EVERY YEAR..

if america is concerned about saving human lives, should we not be dropping those same bombs on the fields down south?

Last edited by mga on Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:32 am 

Heck, no need to bomb them. Use them to grow hemp so we don't need to cut down our old growth forests for paper products.

Hemp makes a wonderful renewable resource.

Isn't either the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution written on hemp paper? I seem to remember something like that from my school days (all those years ago).