It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:47 pm 

Catherine seems to be the "big" cannery around here, with her green beans, pickled beets, and salsa. In my younger days (not too long ago)I was a pretty fair gardner,...with sweet corn, potatoes, green beans, onions, and my favorite.. tomatoes...

This year.. only have 18 tomatoes plants, vandalia onions, and sweet potatoes.
This is my third week having those fresh ripen tomatoes. I picked a 5 gal.
bucket full this morning.. I also had to tie up my tomatoes (They get sort wild and run away) today. Now we need a little rain shower to help out here, as it keeps the new blooms coming on for those late August and early tomatoes.

The wife likes to help (giving her instructions on how, what I should do), but never lending a hand in the garden... However, it's best she stay out of my garden, she might cast a bad spell on fruits of labor...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

:lol: :lol: My dad used to tell Mom to stay out of the garden, too. He said he'd grow it if she'd put it up...for the cold time! They both enjoyed their garden, though, and actually shared most of the labor in both areas. I'm very, very glad they passed on to me the knowledge of how to grow it and to preserve it. It is kind of like getting a college degree..it's something nobody can take away from you.

What kind of tomatoes did you grow this year, King Fisher?

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:11 pm 

My father-in-law was a great tomato grower. He won many blue ribbons at the local Fair's for his Hybrid Big Boys, and Winsalls tomatoes. He always saved the largest tomatoes for his next year's seed. I do the same for my yearly tomatoes. Those are the two types I have, plus two plants of Cherry/Grape tomatoes the wife likes and uses for salads.

Catherine, I've found this web site that has some interest... They (members) seem to be from your area... You may be one of those on the forum.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/740791/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dad grew Better Boy and Early Girl. He stopped planting Beefsteak tomatoes because of the brown ridges that are so common with them. Dad saved his tomato seeds but he'd usually buy the tomato plants, too.

Thanks for the link...no, I'm not a member...yet. :D

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:28 pm 

This years garden is up and growing. Check out my blog about it, or just listen to me ramble about it here.

Edit:
Damn, I thought you would be able to click on the pic and see it larger.

Go here if you want to see it.

http://amandasorganicgarden.blogspot.com/

Also, the garden's about 75' x 12'

Last edited by lefty on Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

YOU'RE really on the ball, lefty. :D We just got our garden plowed! Here in the western end of the Old North State, it's not wise to put those tender new plants into the ground before May 10, although many folks do. They also sometimes end up planting twice or three times due to the various "winters" we have after the official arrival of spring.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:12 pm 

If I had to wait until after may 10th to plant, I'd have a heart attack. The only way I make it through "winter" here is by planning my spring, summer and fall plantings.

This year I tried to grow everything from seeds. I am hoping that will work out alright. I ended up having to buy tomato and pepper plants because my sweet dog knocked all the seedlings over and pretty much killed all but a few of both.

Anyhow, anyone else going to plant this year?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:06 am 

So far I am just replacing trees. Little baby trees that won't look like their pictures for years.

With this clay and shale soil it is hard for me to garden now. Takes younger, stronger people to get through. Would be nice to be able to build a raised patch and garden there...

Lefty, your garden looks fantastic!

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:32 am 

I'm a member of the arbor day foundation as well and for $10 you get 10 flowering trees. They basically come as sticks and you plant them. They are doing sooooo good. I'll take some pics and post them on my website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:25 pm 

Arg. Well, the garden's getting along much better now that the unusually high amount of rain has abated, but I am now in a horrible war with my nemesis the squash vine borer. These little fuckers have completely killed my squash!!! I am so upset I feel like honestly crying. I just had to pull every single yellow squash I have growing and only have a few zucchini left. Oh I hate those things!!!!

Anyway, I was originally going to post and show some pics of my beautiful flowers. So please go look at those, if you have the time.

The animals are guests. Seems we always get a few of some sort wandering through the yard.

ARGGGGGGGGGG

For some reason I am not getting any pics to show up. So head to my blog or look at my album on Picasa.

http://picasaweb.google.com/LeftyPOAC/FLowers2008

or here to see all my pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/LeftyPOAC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:42 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

You look hawt in your avatar though a bit old fashioned....by maybe 10,000 years?

Nice flowers.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:21 am 

Hmm, I will definately know you if I meet you now.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Great flowers! I haven't seen a glad for years. My Dad always grew them. Fantastic flower, aren't they!

I am raising wild flowers--commenly known as weeds. They are beautiful if you pay attention. But I just can't get milkweed to grow here--they are the only plant Monarch Butterflies reproduce on. I try to get them to grow but never have any luck with them.

Possibly woodchucks like them too, eh?

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I got my first "mess" of squash Saturday! It was delicious! ONe of my friends, who plants a huge garden (145 tomato plants, just to give you an idea), is now getting new potatoes, peanut beans, squash, and cukes...he also plants very early. His garden was coming up long before I planted mine. I will be cannng beans from his garden, probably next month.

We need rain...we had to take the hose down to the garden yesterday and give it a drink.

Lovely flowers, lefty...and yes, I remember that avatar 8) ..why not use it here? :twisted:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:22 pm 

I forgot the avatar was on that album...anyhow, I have tried to use it here but it says that it is too large. So it will never let me use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Check out this site:

http://www.bugspray.com/

lefty wrote:

Quote:
anyhow, I have tried to use it here but it says that it is too large. So it will never let me use it.

Check out the avatar now... :wink:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman