It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pooches off the menu during Olympics
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:07 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Doesn't it occur to the Chinese that dog eating offends people even when the Olympics are not on?

China takes dog off the menu for Olympics
Quote:
By Clifford Coonan in Beijing
Saturday, 12 July 2008 | A vendor prepares to skin dogs at a market

Man's best friend is off the menu in China for the Olympic Games: Beijing officials, fearful of offending Western sensibilities, have ordered restaurants not to serve dog for the duration of next month's Games and September's Paralympics.

The Beijing Catering Trade Association (Beta) has forbidden all 112 specially designated OIympic restaurants to provide dog-meat dishes during the Games, and "strongly advised" other establishments to take canine cuisine off the menu too.

Dog is mostly eaten by Beijing's large Korean community, but the Chinese have eaten dog for 7,000 years, and it is widely believed to have medicinal qualities. Xiong Yumei, vice-director of the Beijing Tourism Bureau, told the Xinhua news agency that waiters should "patiently" suggest another dish if dog-meat was ordered. "Conflicts should be avoided," she said, adding that when eaten for medicinal purposes, the canine ingredient should be clearly listed.

My issue though for meat eaters: Why is it so offensive to eat dog, but not other animals like cows or pigs?

These animals have just as much feeling and life in them as dogs.

Have we been so desensitized to their slaughter for our feeding pleasure that we forget how gross it is to eat cows and pigs as well?

Cows are big living organisms. Yet we will shoot out their brains and cut them up in massive assembly lines without even batting an eye. And we'll relegate their sliced up remains into objects that look like little wheat checks.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:49 am 

Actually, it isn't desensitizing but sanitizing occurring here. Dogs curl up in our laps on the couch so we are aware of them as living beings. Cows and pigs are presented in sanitized wrapped or canned packages, creating a total disconnect between meat and living animals. One of my favorite authors, Robert Heinlein, stated the only meat we should be able to consume should be from animals we were willing and able to kill and butcher ourselves.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:12 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I can see that.

I'm not exactly a vegetarian, but I eat less and less meat because I see the sanitizing. I guess I have been affected by the docu-dramas that show how cows are taken from the fields, ground-up, and presented in cute little packaging (with pictures of smiling, cartoony cows).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I guess we could tout certain "medicinal" qualities of anything we prefer to consume, regardless of what it is. Perhaps it's time for China and other over-populated countries to consider consuming what Jonathan Swift wrote about in his classic "A Modest Proposal." THEN see if they get to host the Olympics ever again.... :evil4:

Quote:
”I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled ...”

link

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:05 pm 

I agree with you entirely, PT. Its all perspective as well. My son is mortified by the idea of eating animals. (I was a veggie for years until the last few weeks of my pregnancy 7 years ago, now just mostly no meat and definitely no red meat...I digress) While he is getting more accustomed to the idea, he is still very upset with the whole concept and asks why we eat things like cow and deer and such. The only thing I can do is explain that each culture has its own customs as to what is acceptable to eat and what is not. I told him about hindus belief that cows are sacred and that muslims do not eat pigs...and that many people get most of their protein from insects. Its all quite strange and mostly the reason why I was a veggie for so long and now remain mostly meat free.

On a totally different point that Catherine made: it has amazed me since it was announced years ago that China would be allowed to host the Olympics. I believe that there has to be a point in this world (and I do believe it is coming sooner than later) when the dollar doesn't reign supreme and sensibilities take over...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:23 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

What was the mascot of the 1992 summer olympics in Spain?

Why, a dog named Cobi.

I bet the Chinese are just eating that up.