It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SHOCKEROO! Army will shoot live pigs for medical training
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Army will shoot live pigs for medical training

This is a shocking story of which I had absolutely no knowledge!

HONOLULU (AP) -- The Army says it's critical to saving the lives of wounded soldiers. Animal-rights activists call the training cruel and outdated.

Despite opposition by the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, the Army is moving forward with its plan to shoot live pigs and treat their gunshot wounds in a medical trauma exercise Friday at Schofield Barracks for soldiers headed to Iraq.

Maj. Derrick Cheng, spokesman for the 25th Infantry Division, said the training is being conducted under a U.S. Department of Agriculture license and the careful supervision of veterinarians and a military Animal Care and Use Committee.

"It's to teach Army personnel how to manage critically injured patients within the first few hours of their injury," Cheng said.

The soldiers are learning emergency lifesaving skills needed on the battlefield when there are no medics, doctors or facility nearby, he said.

PETA, however, said there are more advanced and humane options available, including high-tech human simulators. In a letter, PETA urged the Army to end all use of animals, "as the overwhelming majority of North American medical schools have already done."

"Shooting and maiming pigs is outdated as Civil War rifles," said Kathy Guillermo, director of PETA's Laboratory Investigations Department.

The Norfolk, Virginia-based group demanded the exercise be halted after it was notified by a "distraught" soldier from the unit, who disclosed a plan to shoot the animals with M4 carbines and M16 rifles.

"There's absolutely no reason why they have to shoot live pigs," PETA spokeswoman Holly Beal said.

The bloody exercise, she said, is difficult for soldiers because they sometimes associate the animals with their own pet dogs.

Cheng said the exercise is conducted in a controlled environment with the pigs anesthetized the entire time. He had "no doubt whatsoever" in the effectiveness of the instruction, which he called the best option available at the base.

"Those alternative methods just can't replicate what the troops are going to face when we use live-tissue training," he said. "What we're doing is unique to what the soldiers are going to actually experience."

Cheng didn't have details about the number of pigs, how they were acquired or the weapons involved in the training.

The soldiers being trained are with the 3rd Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division, which is deploying to Iraq this year.

"We understand (PETA's) concerns and point of view. At the same, the Army is committed to providing the soldiers with the best training possible," Cheng said.

Disappointed at the Army's decision, PETA on Thursday instructed its 2 million members to inundate the Army with calls and e-mails.

"We're hoping at the 11th hour here that we can have this stopped. We have to hang on to hope," Beal said.

PETA believes the U.S. military has conducted similar training at other bases using pigs and goats.

:shock: :evil: :shock: :evil: :shock: :evil: :!: :shock: :evil: :!:

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: SHOCKEROO! Army will shoot live pigs for medical trainin
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:18 pm 

Catherine wrote:
PETA believes the U.S. military has conducted similar training at other bases using pigs and goats.

Goats!?! Fearless leader has read only one book we are aware of since becoming dictator, "My Pet Goat." How could he allow this to happened? Or is it he just doesn't give a damn!!

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:03 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I don't know how it simulates any real like situation. The pig isn't exactly going, "Hey, save me, man!"

All it's doing is bleeding to death and even more agitated.

Why doesn't the military really reduce its casualties and just get its ass home?

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

PETA received an alert from a distraught soldier. At least there are some military members who know that the war is insane, and those who are in charge are even more insane. But then, you have the "loyal followers"... :roll:

Image[/url]

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:14 am 

Despicable as this is, it is no worse than the Navy using powerful sonar to train with, sonar that destroys sensitive animals in the ocean such as whales and porpoises. That is why they beach themselves, eyes and ears bleeding.

Humans have had a dismal lack of respect for life on earth. It is only a matter of time before earth pays us back.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:37 am 

kinda bizarre if you ask me.

i'll agree with the idea that there are other ideas that could be used to achieve the same goals.

i'd truely like to meet the idiot who woke up one day and said to himself "hey guys i just got a great idea! let's shoot pigs for medical trauma training for the troops. if we don't do any good during training, it'll be barbeque time!"

you wonder................you just frickin wonder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can say that again, rooster. It all makes me wonder....I believe it's also being done to make some soldiers more insensitive. After all, the Army personnel involved with this say that the soldiers who are resisting this training are associating the pigs with their family pets at home. I remember reading how the Nazis would allow soldiers to care for puppies and grow to love them. Then the soldiers would be ordered to kill the puppies as a form of "toughness training," and to make them insensitive.

Don't tell me the Bush military aren't drawing tons of ideas from Nazi Germany..probably material left lying around the Bush household from old Prescott! :evil:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:03 am 

ahhh yeah............prescott bush.

the asshole that thought it was good business to be in financial cahoots with the nazis.

yeah you're right looks like in runs in the family.

the bush family would sell out the u.s. in a heartbeat and we're seeing happen still today.