It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Archive of Quotes for August 2008
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:29 pm 

Monthly archives contain quotes that been posted for at least one week and had no responses posted. Quotes that have had responses posted will be kept separately and not archived.

August 2008
Quote—Views
1—49
2—38
3—36
4—66
5—66
6—69
7—64
8—75
9—42
10—35
11—57
12—54
13—61
14—56
15—55
16—69
17—22
18—72
19—86
20—64
21—84
22—84
23—80
24—82
25—68
26—65
27—56
28—62
29—69
30—66
31—85

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Last edited by A Proud Liberal on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Quotes for August 1......
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:30 pm 

Quotes for August 1......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Gay and Lesbian "All America loses if we let prejudice and discrimination stifle the hopes or deny the potential of a single American. All America loses when any person is denied or forced out of a job because of sexual orientation." — Bill Clinton

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Struggle for Equality—African-Americans "To be black and conscious in America is to be in a constant state of rage." — James Baldwin, quoted in "Negro Leaders on Violence," Time (August 20, 1965)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Corruption of Public Service—Checks and Balances "If we are to preserve freedom and keep constitutional government alive in America, it cannot be left to a President and his agents alone to decide what must be kept secret." — Frank Church, quoted in the Washington Post (February 17, 1976)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Other Sports "And he's got the ice pack on his groing there, so it's possibly not the old shoulder injury." — Ray French, rugby sportscaster

Liberal Quotes of the Day taken from The Best Liberal Quotes Ever: Why the Left Is Right Compiled by William P. Martin ©2004

What Liberals Believe Quotes of the Day taken from What Liberals Believe: Thousands of Quotes on Why America Needs to Be Rescued from Greedy Corporations, Homophobes, Racists, Imperialists, Xenophobes, and Religious Extremists Compiled by William P. Martin ©2008

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day taken from 1001 Dumbest Things Ever Said Edited by Steven D. Price ©2004

Post subject: Quotes for August 2......
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:31 pm 

Quotes for August 2......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On God and God's Nature "Don't make me come down there." — God

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Struggle for Equality—Bigotry and Ignorance "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion." — John Acton, quoted in Lord Acton and His Circle (1906)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Corruption of Public Service—Congress "Rich white men still compose about 80 percent of the Senate, their average age is sixty-two, and even those who call themselves Democrats often think and act like Republicans." — Medea Benjamin, "Have You Called Your Senator Today?" Common Dreams (May 21, 2007)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Other Sports "Venezuela! Great, that's the Italian city with the guys in the boats, right?" — Murad Muhammad, on being told about a boxing match in South America

Liberal Quotes of the Day taken from The Best Liberal Quotes Ever: Why the Left Is Right Compiled by William P. Martin ©2004

What Liberals Believe Quotes of the Day taken from What Liberals Believe: Thousands of Quotes on Why America Needs to Be Rescued from Greedy Corporations, Homophobes, Racists, Imperialists, Xenophobes, and Religious Extremists Compiled by William P. Martin ©2008

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day taken from 1001 Dumbest Things Ever Said Edited by Steven D. Price ©2004

Post subject: Quotes for August 3......
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:32 pm 

Quotes for August 3......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Government "The first duty of government is to protect the powerless against the powerful." — Code of Hammarabi

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Struggle for Equality—Civil Rights "There are those who say to you—we are rushing this issue of civil rights. I say we are 172 years late." — Hubert H. Humphrey, in his speech to the Democratic National Convention (1948)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Corruption of Public Service—Corruption "Virtually every federal agency is now captive to the corporate interests it is supposed to regulate." — Russ Baker, "Crashing Watergate Gate," TomPaine.com (May 8, 2006)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Other Sports "And for those of you watching on black-and-white, the pink ball is the one behind the blue." — TV billiards commentator

Post subject: Quotes for August 4......
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:23 am 

Quotes for August 4......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Greatness "It is not conquest that claims the warrior to be a hero, but the goodness of his cause, and the use he makes of victory." — Jane Porter

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Struggle for Equality—Disabilities "The world is not made for me, so I must be made for the world." — Comment overheard from disabled man struggling with crutches to walk down the basement hall of the state Health and Welfare Building, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania (January 26, 2006)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Corruption of Public Service—Courts "Conservatives have been mad at the Supreme Court since it decided to desegregate the schools in 1954 and seen fit to blame the federal bench for everything that has happened since then that they don't like." — Molly Ivins, "The New 'Activist' Judges." AlterNet (August 24, 2006)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Other Sports "I don't want to tell you any half-truths unless they're completely accurate." — Dennis Rappaport, boxing manager

Post subject: Quotes for August 5......
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:25 am 

Quotes for August 5......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Greed "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" — Steven Wright

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Struggle for Equality—Diversity "What we have to do . . . is find a way to celebrate our diversity and debate our differences without fracturing our communities." — Hillary Rodham Clinton, in her University of Pennsylvania commencement speech, New York Times (May 18, 1993)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Corruption of Public Service—Democracy "The cure for the illness of democracy is more democracy." — Jane Addams, Democracy and Social Ethics (1902)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Other Sports "It's about 90 percent strength and 40 percent technique." — Johnny Walker, world middleweight wrist-wrestling champion

Post subject: Quotes for August 6......
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:26 am 

Quotes for August 6......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Green Party "The Greens carry forward the traditional values of the Left: freedom, equality, and solidarity. We want to create a truly democratic society without class exploitation or social domination." — Green Party Platform

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Struggle for Equality—Equality "We reaffirm the great principle of liberalism: that every citizen is entitled by right to the elementary means to a good life. We believe passionately that societies should afford their citizens equal treatment under the law—regardless of accidents of birth, race, sex, property, religion, ethnic identification, or sexual disposition." — Bruce Ackerman and Todd Gitlin, "We Answer to the Name of Liberals," American Prospect (October 18, 2006)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Corruption of Public Service—Government "Corporations now govern society, perhaps more than governments themselves do." — Joel Bakan, The Corporation: The Pathological Pursuit of Profit and Power (2004)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Other Sports "There isn't a record in existence that hasn't been broken." — Chay Blyth, yachtsman

Post subject: Quotes for August 7......
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:27 am 

Quotes for August 7......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Growth "A person can grow only as much as his horizon allows." — John Powell

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Struggle for Equality—Feminism "Feminism has given me a powerful lens with which to view the world." — Jennifer Baumgardner, "Feminism Is a Failure, and Other Myths," AlterNet (November 17, 2005)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Corruption of Public Service—Government and Corporations "Corporations have overwhelmed government in the borderless global economy." — Lou Dobbs, Exporting America: Why Corporate Greed Is Shipping American Jobs Overseas (2004)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Other Sports "It's obvious these Russian swimmers are determined to do well on American soil." — Anita Lonsborough, commentator

Post subject: Quotes for August 8......
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:29 am 

Quotes for August 8......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Guns "I believe everybody in the world should have guns. Citizens should have bazookas and rocket launchers too. I believe that all citizens should have their weapons of choice. However, I also believe that only I should have the ammunition." — Scott Adams

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Struggle for Equality—Gays and Lesbians "Best I can tell, God has been creating gay and lesbian people for a long time and my guess is that trend will continue in the future." — Rev. Chris Ayers, "Gay Marriage Not Defeated," The Center for Progressive Christianity Newsletter (December 2004)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Corruption of Public Service—Hurricane Katrina "Katrina was not "unforeseeable," the loss of life and suffering was not "unavoidable." It was the result of a political authority that sub-contracts its responsibility to the private sector and abdicates responsibility altogether when it comes to housing, health care, education and even evacuation." — Harry Belafonte, in a speech made during the PBS/BET-televised Higher Ground Hurricane Relief Benefit concert (September 17, 2005)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Other Sports "Cycling's a good thing for the youngsters, because it keeps them off the streets." — David Bean, commentator

Post subject: Quotes for August 9......
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:30 am 

Quotes for August 9......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Happiness "Happiness and the absurd are two sons of the same earth. They are inseparable." — Albert Camus

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Struggle for Equality—Immigration "If someone breaks into my property for the purpose of trashing and looting, I would be hell-bent on restitution. But if they break in for the purpose of cleaning it—scrubbing the bathroom, mowing the lawn—then, in my way of thinking anyway, the debt goes in the other direction." — Barbara Ehrenreich. "What America Owes Its 'Illegals,'" Huffington Post (June 5, 2007)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Corruption of Public Service—Impeachemnt "There can be no serious question that warrantless wiretapping, in violation of the law, is impeachable." — John W. Dean, "George W. Bush as the New Richard M. Nixon: Both Wiretapped Illegally, and Impeachably," FindLaw (December 30, 2005)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Other Sports "In the rear, the small, diminutive figure of Shoaif Mohammed, who can't be much taller or shorter than he is." — Henry Blofeld, cricket commentator

Post subject: Quotes for August 10......
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:31 am 

Quotes for August 10......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Hate "Take care that no one hates you justly." — Publilius Syrus

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Struggle for Equality—Inclusion "My house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples." — Isaiah 56:7

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Corruption of Public Service—Law "No community suffers from too much rule of law." — Kofi A. Annan, "What I've Learned," Washington Post (December 11, 2006)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Other Sports "It's a catch he would have caught 99 times out of 1,000." — Henry Blofeld, cricket commentator

Post subject: Quotes for August 11......
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:32 am 

Quotes for August 11......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Hope "We should not let our fears hold us back from pursuing our hopes." — John F. Kennedy

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Struggle for Equality—Intolerance "The core claim of every creed is that it, alone, is true." — Sam Harris, interviewed by Blair Golson, Truthdig (April 3, 2006)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Corruption of Public Service—Lobbying "Corporate interests spend more money on lobbying than the federal government spends on the staff of Congress" — Lou Dobbs, interviewed by Bill Moyers, "Outsourcing and Patriotism," Alternet (August 21, 2004)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Other Sports "His throw went absolutely nowhere near where it was going." — Richie Benaud, cricket commentator

Post subject: Quotes for August 12......
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:33 am 

Quotes for August 12......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Humanism "No deity will save us; we must save ourselves." — Paul Kurtz

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Struggle for Equality—Latinos "Over the last decade Latino workers' fatality rates have soared, outstripping their share of the work force." — Stephen Franklin and Darnell Little, "Fear of Retaliation Trumps Pain," Chicago Tribune (September 3, 2006)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Corruption of Public Service—Power "Power abdicates only under stress of counter-power." — Martin Buber, Paths in Utopia (1946)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Other Sports "Even Downton couldn't get down high enough for that." — Richie Benaud, cricket commentator

Post subject: Quotes for August 13......
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:34 am 

Quotes for August 13......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On The Human Condition "It's a fool who plays it cool by making this world a little colder." — Paul McCartney and John Lennon

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Struggle for Equality—Racism "Racism . . . is America's original sin and, as it is institutionalized at all levels of society, it is its most persistent and intractable evil." — James H. Cone, quoted in Soul Work: Anti-Racist Theologies in Dialogue (2003)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Corruption of Public Service—Privatization "Governments have abdicated much of their control over the corporation, despite its flawed character, by freeing it from legal constraints through deregulation and by granting it ever greater authority over society through privatization." — Joel Bakan The Corporation: The Pathological Pursuit of Profit and Power (2004)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Other Sports "That black cloud is coming from the direction the wind is blowing, now the wind is coming from where the black cloud is." — Ray Illingworth, former cricket player

Post subject: Quotes for August 14......
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:36 am 

Quotes for August 14......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Human Nature "In man, creature and creator are united." — Friedrich Nietzsche

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Struggle for Equality—Sexism "Let me say here and now that the black woman in America can justly be described as a 'slave of a slave'" — Frances M. Beal, quoted in Sisterhood Is Powerful (1970)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Corruption of Public Service—Secrecy "Information is the oxygen of democracy." — Steven Aftergood, quoted in "Spying and Lying," Nation (December 21, 2005)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Other Sports "I was in a no-win situation, so I'm glad that I won rather than lost." — Frank Bruno, boxer