It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The only educator who ever made sense
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:29 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

John Taylor Gatto. Period. All others are just apologists for propaganda.

Who can refute that? No one!!

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree that Gatto certainly has some interesting viewpoints, some of which I subscribed to during my teaching years. My students were taught to be critical thinkers and that it was ok to disagree with me and with each other. The idea I wanted them to understand was that it was important to listen, to think, and then to offer calmly and rationally a reasonable, sensible counterpoint. It was fun to see sparkle in the eyes of students as they learned to express themselves and to offer those points and counterpoints.

Check this out:

http://www.wikiprotest.com/index.php?ti ... te_Sheeple

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:56 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

It is nearly impossible for most to think critically now adays because in order to do this you would actually need to expend energy and time finding all of the information.

On Thursday I got into a little dispute with someone over the Russia/Georgia conflict. He believes what he is told in the MSM, that Russia is the aggressor. I tried to tell him that Georgia initiated the conflict and what followed boils down to the fact that I guess I am an idiot.

*shrugs shoulders* Perhaps I am.

Once something is set in stone, it is nearly impossible to get people to think critically, no matter what facts in opposition reveal.

In this country, and probably in most country's, the populations are told what to believe from birth until the grave. Puts me in mind of the movie The Matrix.

Most will live their entire lives making judgments on an incomplete picture.
Those who attempt to show a different picture are considered kook's.

Also, it does not matter what race, religion, or political affiliation one follows, once (in their mind) something is set in stone, it is as immovable as a mountain. There is not even an honest attempt at trying to understand the other side, no real study of the information given, nor any rational arguments of points and counterpoints. Instead, any disagreements turn into (to coin an Internet term), flame fests, which serve no purpose other than to drive us even further apart.

Thus the game continues.

And yes Dog's, I agree with you on Gatto. I think I brought him up quite some time ago. If I remember right, it was not received well by everyone:).

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:20 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

The evidence shows that Georgia was the aggressor from what I have seen. Our msm claims that Russia was the aggressor. Imagine that.

History drags up a long line of imperial empire builders who got over extended. We have joined that list, making us very....average.

Being average is no surprise. I continue to be shocked because I was indoctrinated into believing that we were a heroic nation. Not a nation of invaders, occupiers, and false flaggers.

Hopefully, this is just a blimp in our history. However, I think history shows most empires getting caught up in their own quagmire. The hawks never relinquish control to the diplomats.

We all knew something big would happen before the election. Did anyone see it coming this way?

Has an empire led by paranoid war hawks ever let the diplomats keep the empire from disolution?

I believe that McCain and Lieberman both see military solutions to contemporary problems. Perhaps we will be 'entertained' as a Jewish war hawk (Lieberman) gets to administer his brand of diplomacy to the Middle East. McCain is no spring chicken. He also may decide to commit suicide by shooting himself in the back with a shotgun. Three times. Something along those lines.

I miss being young. One could take thier mind off of the problems of the world through hours of....other activities. My hip and my neck and my age prevent that.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson