It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quotes for August 15......
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:37 am 

Quotes for August 15......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Human Rights "Developing countries may have slightly different concepts of human rights than the West, but it is not cultural imperialism to suggest that women should not be mutilated, enslaved, or condemned to die in childbirth." — Renee Loth

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Struggle for Equality—African-Americans "Black pastors who have aligned themselves with white Christian evangelicals and Conservatives are the ideological descendents of the same people who opposed Dr. King in the fifties . . . giving new meaning to the name 'Uncle Tom'" — Jasmyne Cannick, "Purchased Pulpits and Spiritual Exploitations," Black Commentator (March 3, 2005)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Corruption of Public Service—Treason "There is no greater crime than to mislead a country into war, and then lie to cover it up." — Petition, "President Bush: No Pardons for Treason," Act for Change (November 2005)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Other Sports "We now have exactly the situation as we had at the start of the race, only exactly the opposite." — Murray Walker, auto race announcer

What Liberals Believe Quotes of the Day taken from What Liberals Believe: Thousands of Quotes on Why America Needs to Be Rescued from Greedy Corporations, Homophobes, Racists, Imperialists, Xenophobes, and Religious Extremists Compiled by William P. Martin ©2008

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day taken from 1001 Dumbest Things Ever Said Edited by Steven D. Price ©2004

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject: Quotes for August 16......
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:38 am 

Quotes for August 16......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Idealism "I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart." — Anne Frank

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Struggle for Equality—Bigotry and Ignorance "The Scout Law declares that all Boy Scouts should be trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent. But how does discrimination against boys and men who are gay uphold the Scout Law? What is loyal or helpful or friendly or courteous or kind or brave about prejudice?" — Frank Edward Allen, "Boy Scouts of America: A Symbol of Prejudice," San Francisco Chronicle (September 24, 2000)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Corruption of Public Service—Tyranny "The worst tyrants are those which establish themselves in our own breasts." — Rev. William Ellery Channing, in a sermon entitled "Spiritual Freedom," (May 26, 1830)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Other Sports "The lead car is absolutely unique, except for the one behind it which is identical." — Murray Walker, auto race announcer

Liberal Quotes of the Day taken from The Best Liberal Quotes Ever: Why the Left Is Right Compiled by William P. Martin ©2004

What Liberals Believe Quotes of the Day taken from What Liberals Believe: Thousands of Quotes on Why America Needs to Be Rescued from Greedy Corporations, Homophobes, Racists, Imperialists, Xenophobes, and Religious Extremists Compiled by William P. Martin ©2008

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day taken from 1001 Dumbest Things Ever Said Edited by Steven D. Price ©2004

Post subject: Quotes for August 17......
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:40 am 

Quotes for August 17......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Independence "Self-reliance is the only road to true freedom, and being one's own person is its ultimate reward." — Patricia Sampson

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Struggle for Equality—Civil Rights "The Christian right would like today's public to forget exactly where religious conservatives stood on civil-right legislation forty years ago." — Susan Jacoby, Freethinkers (2004)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Corruption of Public Service—Checks and Balances "Unregulated capitalism is not a pretty sight, which is why we have labor laws, environmental regulations, health and safety standards, unions, much-eroded consumer-protection laws, and other checks on the system." — Molly Ivins, "Capitalism Doesn't Do Squat for Social Justice," Miami Herald (April 12, 2000)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Other Sports "There have been injuries and deaths in boxing, but none of them serious." — Alan Minter, former prizefighter

Liberal Quotes of the Day taken from The Best Liberal Quotes Ever: Why the Left Is Right Compiled by William P. Martin ©2004

Post subject: Quotes for August 18......
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:54 pm 

Quotes for August 18......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Individuality "The shoe that fits one person pinches another; there is no recipe for living that suits all cases." — Carl G. Jung

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Struggle for Equality—Disabilities "Someday our grandchildren will look up at us and say, 'Where were you, Grandma, and what were you doing when you first realized that President Reagan was, er, not playing with a full deck?'" — Barbara Ehrenreich, The Worst Years of Our Lives (1991)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Corruption of Public Service—Congress "Congress seems drugged and inert most of the time. . . . Its idea of meeting a problem is to hold hearings or, in extreme cases, to appoint a commission." — Shirley Chisholm, Unbought and Unbossed (1970)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Other Sports "The Queen's Park Oval, exactly as its name suggests, is absolutely round." — Tony Crozier, sportscaster

Post subject: Quotes for August 19......
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:55 pm 

Quotes for August 19......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Inferiority "An inferiority complex would be a blessing, if only the right people had it." — Alan Reed

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Struggle for Equality—Diversity "Fortunately, the time has long passed when people liked to regard the United States as some kind of melting pot, taking men and women from every part of the world and converting them into standardized, homogenized Americans." — Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, in his speech in Chicago (January 15, 1967)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Corruption of Public Service—Corruption "The real scandals in Washington don't make the press and aren't even against the law. Washington has been taken over by lobbyists and campaign contributors who get paid back in special interest favors." — Robert L. Borosage and Robert Loper, eds., StraightTalk: Common Sense for the Common Good (2006)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Other Sports "That's so when I forget how to spell my name, I can still find my clothes." — Stu, Grimson, Chicago Blackhawks hockey player, on why he keeps a color photo of himself above his locker

Post subject: Quotes for August 20......
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:56 pm 

Quotes for August 20......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Inner Life "Most true happiness comes from one's inner life, from the disposition of the mind and soul. Admittedly, a good inner life is hard to achieve, especially in these trying times. It takes reflection and contemplation and self-discipline." — William L. Shrier

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Struggle for Equality—Equality "We need women's constitutional equality in this country. . . . The United States must declare women are equal under the law, no matter which state we live in, without reservation." — Martha Burk and Eleanor Smeal, "Why We Need an ERA," Washington Post (April 27, 2007)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Corruption of Public Service—Courts "This President is in the midst of a radical realignment of the powers of the government and its intrusiveness into the private lives of Americans. This nomination is part of that plan." — Patrick Leahy, on President's Bush's nomination of Samuel Alito to the Supreme Court, "Alito a Threat to Our Fundamental Rights," Truthout (January 26, 2006)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Other Sports "We have only one person to blame, and that's each other." — Barry Beck, New York Ranger, explaining a championship game brawl

Post subject: Quotes for August 21......
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:58 pm 

Quotes for August 21......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Insanity "Insanity in individuals is something rare—but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule." — Friedrich Nietzsche

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Struggle for Equality—Feminism "The logic of the raunch culture is eerily similar to that Christian ideal of femininity, the Surrendered Wife. Both preach empowerment through acquiescence, promising greater happiness through the fulfillment of archetypal female roles." — Lakshmi Chaudhry, "Babes in Bush World: Raunch Culture Offers Old-Fashioned Pleasure, Republican Style," In These Times (October 28, 2005)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Corruption of Public Service—Democracy "Corporations are not democratic institutions—their directors and managers own no accountability to anyone but the shareholders that employ them." — Joel Bakan The Corporation: The Pathological Pursuit of Profit and Power (2004)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Other Sports "If I wasn't talking, I wouldn't know what to say." — Chico Resch, New York Islanders goalie

Post subject: Quotes for August 22......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:00 am 

Quotes for August 22......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Inspiration "As I grow older, part of my emotional survival plan must be to actively seek inspiration instead of passively waiting for it to find me." — Bebe Moore Campbell

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Struggle for Equality—Gays and Lesbians "I believe God's creation is marked by diversity rather than conformity. I believe homosexual orientation and responsible homosexual expression are just as much a part of the will of God as heterosexual orientation and heterosexual expression." — Rev. Howard Bess, from his book Pastor, I Am Gay, quoted in "No Christian Left Behind," Anchorage Press (November 18, 2004)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Corruption of Public Service—Government "A simple and proper function of government is to make it easy for us to do good and difficult for us to do wrong." — Jimmy Carter, in his acceptance of his presidential nomination (July 15, 1976)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Other Sports "I'm glad you're doing this story on us and not on the WNBA. We're so much prettier than all the other women in sports." — Martina Hingis, tennis player

Post subject: Quotes for August 23......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:02 am 

Quotes for August 23......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Integrity "This old anvil laughs at many broken hammers. There are men who can't be bought." — Carl Sandburg

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Struggle for Equality—Immigration "We'll Lock Up Your Tired, Your Poor, Your Huddled Masses Yearning to Breathe Free" — Amy Goodman, title of article regarding the U. S. imprisonment of immigrant children, Truthdig (February 27, 2007)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Corruption of Public Service—Government and Corporations "The search of the youth today is for ways and means to make the machine—and the vast bureaucracy of the corporation state and of government that runs that machine—the servant of man." — William O. Douglas, Points of Rebellion (1970)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Other Sports "It's a nice bonus but, you know, I have to pay taxes too." — Venus Williams, tennis player, after winning the Grand Slam Cup

Post subject: Quotes for August 24......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:04 am 

Quotes for August 24......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Intellectuals "Practical men, who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influences, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back." — John Maynard Keynes

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Struggle for Equality—Inclusion "Jesus' treatment of the outcasts of his time—tax collectors, lepers, the mentally ill, prostitutes—ought to inform our attitudes toward those on the margins today, including those who are homosexual." — Rev. David C. Bloom and Patrick Higgins, "The Perfect Time to Talk About Our Moral Values," Seattle Times (December 24, 2004)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Corruption of Public Service—Hurricane Katrina "We only have to recall the color of the faces of those in Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi who are most devastated by Katrina to that there are not yet equal opportunities for all Americans." — Jimmy Carter, remarks at the memorial service for Coretta Scott King, quoted in "A Healthy Dose of Reality for Mr. Bush," Nation (February 9, 2006)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Other Sports "[He] called me a "rapist" and a "recluse." I'm not a recluse." — Mike Tyson, boxer

Post subject: Quotes for August 25......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:06 am 

Quotes for August 25......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Intelligence "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." — Will Rogers

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Struggle for Equality—Intolerance "Would God give a bird wings and make it a crime to fly?" — Robert G. Ingersoll, in his speech on religious intolerance, Pittsburgh Opera House (October 14, 1879)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Corruption of Public Service—Impeachment "Willful disregard of a law . . . is at least as impeachable as having a sexual escapade under the Oval Office desk and lying about it later." — Thomas G. Donlan, "Unwarranted Executive Power," Barron's Online (December 26, 2005)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Other Sports "He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is." — Lou Duva, boxing trainer

Post subject: Quotes for August 26......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:08 am 

Quotes for August 26......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Intuition "Intuition is a spiritual faculty and does not explain, but simply points the way." — Florence Scovel Shinn

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Struggle for Equality—Latinos "The new immigrants seek precisely what has made our country great: They thirst for democracy and freedom, a job and security for their families, for citizenship rights and to leave repression and poverty behind." — Rev. Jesse Jackson, "Are Immigrants Putting Justice on Parade?" Chicago Sun-Times (May 2, 2006)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Corruption of Public Service—Law "No free man shall be seized or imprisoned, or stripped of his rights or possessions, or outlawed or exiled, or deprived of his standing in any other way, nor will we proceed with force against him, or send others to do so, except by the lawful judgment of his equals or by the law of the land." — Article 39, Magna Carta (1215)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Other Sports "It's basically the same, just darker." — Alan Kulwicki, stock car racer, on racing at night instead of during the afternoon

Post subject: Quotes for August 27......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:09 am 

Quotes for August 27......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Iraq War "This [Iraq] war could go on forever, no matter how unpopular it gets. That's very like Vietnam: a stale, hopeless occupation." — Daniel Ellsberg

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Struggle for Equality—Racism "The percentage of black Americans living in poverty is 24.7, almost twice as high as the overall rate for all races." — Bernd Debusmann, "U.S. Poverty: Chronic Ill, Little Hope for Cure" Reuters (October 5, 2005)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Corruption of Public Service—Lobbying "Corporate lobbyists . . . have developed a "corporate state" where government lavishes subsidies, inflated contracts, guarantees, and research and development and natural resources giveaways on big business—while denying comparable benefits to individuals and family businesses." — Ralph Nader, "Corporate Socialism," Washington Post (July 18, 2002)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Other Sports "On what?" — boxer Chris Eubank, when asked whether he thought about writing his autobiography

Post subject: Quotes for August 28......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:11 am 

Quotes for August 28......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Jesus Christ "Did Jesus spend his life hobnobbing or schmoozing with the powerful, or did he spend his life in solidarity and relationship with the poor?" — Matt Zemek

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Struggle for Equality—Sexism "This religion and the Bible require of woman everything, and give her nothing. They ask her support and her love, and repay her with contempt and oppression." — Helen H. Gardener, Men, Women and Gods (2001)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Corruption of Public Service—Power "If you lessen your anger at the structures of power you lower your love for the victims of power." — Rev. William Sloane Coffin, address at Ripon College, "The Spiritual and the Secular: Can They Meet?" (September 29, 1996)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: Imperfect view of the future from the world of Astronomy "Jupiter's moons are invisible to the naked eye, and therefore can have no influence on the earth, and therefore would be useless, and therefore do not exist." — contemporaries of Galileo Galilei, circa 1610

Post subject: Quotes for August 29......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:13 am 

Quotes for August 29......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Justice "The answer to injustice is not to silence the critic, but to end the injustice." — Paul Robeson

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Struggle for Equality—African-Americans "One out of three black men in their twenties is out on bail, probation, court supervision, community service or parole—or behind bars." — Bruce Dixon, "A Leaderless Community," TomPaine.com (May 29, 2007)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In August Featuring—The Corruption of Public Service—Privatization "Privatization is not about limiting government; it is about terminating democracy." — Benjamin Barber, quoted in "The 500-Pound Gorilla," Phi Delta Kappan (October 2002)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: Imperfect view of the future from the world of Astronomy "The proposition, that the sun is the centre and does not revolve about the earth, is foolish, absurd, false in theology and heretical." — The Inquisition, on Galileo's theories