It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dem Congresswoman: McCain VP pick shows 'colossally bad judg
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dem Congresswoman: McCain VP pick shows 'colossally bad judgment'

Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-FL) spoke by phone to NBC's Andrea Mitchell on Friday morning about Senator John McCain's selection of Alaska Governor Sarah Palin as his running mate.

Wasserman Schultz was a strong backer of Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primaries and is known for her interest in women's issues. She told Mitchell, "If John McCain thinks that he can substitute Sarah Palin for Hillary Clinton in the minds of Hillary Clinton supporters he's sadly mistaken. I know Hillary Clinton, and Sarah Palin is no Hillary Clinton."

"She's been governor of Alaska for eighteen months, and before that she was the mayor of a town of 8,000 people," Wasserman Schultz continued. "She's already under investigation by her state's legislature. ... They voted to spend $100,000 on an investigation, because she is accused of firing a state commissioner who refused to fire her sister's husband. ... This is not the kind of change that we need."

Mitchell pointed out that there may have been "some family abuse" on the part of Palin's sister's husband and that "she might have been protecting a victim who needed help" in firing the commissioner.

Mitchell then asked, "What about the pull of gender politics? Will there be a ... large number of women -- independents, Republicans, people who you all wanted to bring into the Democratic tent -- in suburban towns and cities around this country, who will like the idea of a woman on the ticket?"

"Women in this country don't want a candidate on the ballot just because of the parts that she has," Wasserman Schultz replied. "They want a woman candidate running for president or vice president because they support equal work for equal pay, they support a woman's right to make her own reproductive choices, they support access to children's health care, they want to make sure that we improve the quality of public education. Sarah Palin is against all of those things. So it's not just electing a woman for the sake of getting a woman in there."

MORE AT THE LINK + VIDEO

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:21 pm 

It is my fervent hope that this is the final signal that the Repugs view McWarSameBush as a throw away candidate. As with Mondale's pick of Geraldine Ferraro in 1984, the pick appears to have been made as a token concession. The other thing is the men further up the list may have said they didn't want to be a part of a sure loser. The other lingering suspicion is that the War Chimp has no intention of leaving office and all these actions are pro forma.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:21 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

The Georgia conflict is an ominous omen for the martial law event that Bush needs to stay right where he is.

Not the vast majority of the public would really believe a false flag type event blamed on...Russia.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:59 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Why the GILF, Palin? Maybe nobody else wanted to be the GOP VP or else McNasty was too p-o'd at the crowd of possibles.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

:lol: LOVE WONKETT! I wonder what McCain's PAL will say when he loses his temper and calls her a CUNT, like he did his wife. If she's packing that day, she may do a Dick Cheney on him.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:55 am 

Google is exploding. 367,000 hits for Sarah Louise Heath Palin. former "Miss Wasilla", better known as Sarah Barracuda, and "Fire and Nice".. Miss Congeniality.

With all that hype, there's bound to be some ...hidden sex between the sheets to be found.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:59 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I like the idea of the repug elites holding up Ms. Palin to their constituency and disaffected Hillary supporters by figuratively saying: "My friends, we give you our ideal repub female candidate:
Quote:
She's more conservative and pro oil than Dick Cheney.
She's more anti-abortion than Mike Huckabee
She's more ultra-religious than most televangelists
She's a firm believer in Creationism, hates those who teach evolution.
She's about to be indicted for firing a State Commissioner who refused to fire her ex-brother in-law Mike Wooten.
She's pro drilling off shore
She called the Exxon Valdez accident a minor mistake, with no long term effects
She thinks global warming does not exist.
She was a mayor of town for 8000 for one term, then governor of ALASKA for little more than a year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You ain't seen nothin' yet...CHECK THIS FROM THE DAILYKOS! :shock:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/8/30 ... 486/580223

MOVEON IS SENDING OUT THIS INFO:

Quote:
She was elected Alaska's governor a little over a year and a half ago. Her previous office was mayor of Wasilla, a small town outside Anchorage. She has no foreign policy experience.

1 Palin is strongly anti-choice, opposing abortion even in the case of rape or incest.

2 She supported right-wing extremist Pat Buchanan for president in 2000.

3 Palin thinks creationism should be taught in public schools.

4 She's doesn't think humans are the cause of climate change.

5 She's solidly in line with John McCain's "Big Oil first" energy policy. She's pushed hard for more oil drilling and says renewables won't be ready for years. She also sued the Bush administration for listing polar bears as an endangered species—she was worried it would interfere with more oil drilling in Alaska.

6 How closely did John McCain vet this choice? He met Sarah Palin once at a meeting. They spoke a second time, last Sunday, when he called her about being vice-president. Then he offered her the position.

7 This is information the American people need to see. Please take a moment to forward this email to your friends and family.

We also asked Alaska MoveOn members what the rest of us should know about their governor. The response was striking. Here's a sample:

She is really just a mayor from a small town outside Anchorage who has been a governor for only 1.5 years, and has ZERO national and international experience. I shudder to think that she could be the person taking that 3AM call on the White House hotline, and the one who could potentially be charged with leading the US in the volatile international scene that exists today. —Rose M., Fairbanks, AK

She is VERY, VERY conservative, and far from perfect. She's a hunter and fisherwoman, but votes against the environment again and again. She ran on ethics reform, but is currently under investigation for several charges involving hiring and firing of state officials. She has NO experience beyond Alaska. —Christine B., Denali Park, AK

As an Alaskan and a feminist, I am beyond words at this announcement. Palin is not a feminist, and she is not the reformer she claims to be. —Karen L., Anchorage, AK

Alaskans, collectively, are just as stunned as the rest of the nation. She is doing well running our State, but is totally inexperienced on the national level, and very much unequipped to run the nation, if it came to that. She is as far right as one can get, which has already been communicated on the news. In our office of thirty employees (dems, republicans, and nonpartisans), not one person feels she is ready for the V.P. position.—Sherry C., Anchorage, AK

She's vehemently anti-choice and doesn't care about protecting our natural resources, even though she has worked as a fisherman. McCain chose her to pick up the Hillary voters, but Palin is no Hillary. —Marina L., Juneau, AK

I think she's far too inexperienced to be in this position. I'm all for a woman in the White House, but not one who hasn't done anything to deserve it. There are far many other women who have worked their way up and have much more experience that would have been better choices. This is a patronizing decision on John McCain's part- and insulting to females everywhere that he would assume he'll get our vote by putting "A Woman" in that position.—Jennifer M., Anchorage, AK

So Governor Palin is a staunch anti-choice religious conservative. She's a global warming denier who shares John McCain's commitment to Big Oil. And she's dramatically inexperienced.

In picking Sarah Palin, John McCain has made the religious right very happy. And he's made a very dangerous decision for our country.

In the next few days, many Americans will be wondering what McCain's vice-presidential choice means. Please pass this information along to your friends and family

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:40 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Now, one can only fantasize that she turns a corner once she's aside McNasty in the White House:

"Sarah Barracuda" did help to take down Alaska oil commission chairman Randy Ruedrich. And it is that image that causes some Alaskan repubs to say: "... she doesn't care for the Republican Party [in Alaska] and the old guard doesn't care for her."

Wouldn't it be nice if she took that mentality to Washington and started questioning McNasty and the rest of his cronies?

"Heyyyyy! A lot of these old geezers were in the pocket of Jack Abramoff."

"Heyyyyy! Ol' McNasty aint all that ethical himself. He was in the pocket of Abramoff too."

"If I can knock out that c-word-calling schmuck, maybe I can be where he's sitting and constantly farting."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

McCain VP pick laughed as radio host called Alaskan Senator a 'b*tch' and a 'cancer'

On January 15, 2008, McCain VP nominee Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin called into a radio talk show and laughed as the host questioned Alaska Senate President Lyda Green's parenting, and then further attacked the cancer survivor calling her a "bitch" and a "cancer."

At 7:11 in the audio of the program, the host says "Governor, you can't say this, but we can. She is a cancer and she is nothing but a very jealous woman."

Then again at 10:12 in the audio obtained by Raw Story from the Bob and Mark Show, the host says to Palin, "Well, I'm going to say what I wish you could say...Lyda Green is a bitch, and she needs to go away because she is a cancer on the progress of the state of Alaska."

Disc jockey Dan Fagan chastized the governor for what he called "conduct unbecoming a human being, never mind a governor," in an editorial for the Anchorage Daily News. Other editorial writers also demanded that Palin apologize for her behavior.

Gov. Palin's office then released a public statement that said "Governor Palin was caught off guard by Bob Lester's reference to Senate President Lyda Green." But Fagan wrote that he didn't 'buy' Palin's explanation and goes on to relay the continued on-air attack of Green, and Palin's reactions.

"But there is more. Lester then describes Green's chair as big and cushy. A clear reference to the senator's weight. Palin laughs a third time. She's just having a grand old time... Palin was clearly enjoying every second of Lester's vicious attack on her political rival."

"But it gets worse," the columnist continues.

"Lester asks Palin point blank: 'Do you have any idea of what you did, to make Lyda Green dislike you, hate you?'[This portion of the audio can be heard in the audio and the end of the article at 6:42.] How does Palin respond? Does she do the right thing? What you would expect from a mature leader, a governor and say, "Bob, Lyda doesn't hate me..."

The op-ed says that Palin did in fact call Green to apologize, but the writer casts doubt on Palin's sincerity as she tells the radio host from the 'Bob and Mark' Show, DJ Bob Lester, that she would be "honored" to have him pay her a visit.

Gov. Palin made a return appearance on the Bob and Mark Show yesterday, Aug. 29, 2008 with her running mate for the White House, Arizona Senator John McCain.

A YouTube video of the recorded audio portion of Sarah Palin's original radio interview was submitted to Raw Story by a reader.

The following audio is from Bob and Mark Show, broadcast on January 15, 2008.

Listen to the AUDIO and watch the VIDEO at the link.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:47 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Hi Catherine. I mentioned that Palin story as a separate thread. The central question to the thread being: Is Palin a good pick for women voters?

Another study of voter attitudes towards Palin:

Quote:
Focused--The Sequel

August 31, 2008 7:39

Another week, another Frank Luntz/AARP focus group of undecided voters--this one in Minneapolis and with some bad news for John McCain: they don't like the choice of Sarah Palin for vice president. Only one person said Palin made him more likely to vote for McCain; about half the 25-member group raised their hands when asked if Palin made them less likely to vote for McCain. They had a negative impression of Palin by a 2-1 margin...a fact that was reinforced when they were given hand-dials and asked to react to Palin's speech at her first appearance with McCain on Friday---the dials remained totally neutral as Palin went through her heart-warming(?) biography, and only blipped upwards when she said she opposed the Bridge to Nowhere--which wasn't quite the truth, as we now know.

A negative impression of Palin by a 2-1 margin.

Which leads me to ask: Are the repugs really serious about her being the VP? Is she really part of some "bait and switch"? Could they have put her in the spotlight to charge up the campaign only to drop her in favor of Romney or some other recognizable name?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:14 pm 

That is a very good possibility, CZ. Knowing the Rove tactics, it would take that "negative and turn it into a positive" for the replug-thugs.

We now hear...after my many posts on blogs that McSarah Palin didn't give birth to the son that she so claims, but her daughter's baby... the 17 year old daughter is five months pregnant. WHAT! you don't believe in abortion right Mrs. McNasty's soul mate. It's about time you should consider yet, lady..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:55 pm 

Channel Zero wrote:
Which leads me to ask: Are the repugs really serious about her being the VP? Is she really part of some "bait and switch"? Could they have put her in the spotlight to charge up the campaign only to drop her in favor of Romney or some other recognizable name?

The War Chimp did exactly this with Harriet Meyers and the Supreme Court. However, this type of action for Vice President has historically been the kiss of death, visa vie McGovern and Eagleton being replaced by Shriver. McWarSameBush is NOT in control of his campaign, the lobbyists are. Pandering to the far right and women at the same time seems very incongruent; but it must be remembered that it was women in key states that lead to the defeat of the Equal Rights Amendment. I hope that in the intervening 25 years there have been enough young voters added to the rolls that it would supersede this group of extremists/regressives.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
the 17 year old daughter is five months pregnant. WHAT! you don't believe in abortion right Mrs. McNasty's soul mate. It's about time you should consider yet, lady..

Real family values in the Palin household! :wink:

I heard a caller from NY this morning on CSPAN saying that he had been a Republican all of his life but that McCain's choice of VP had caused him to decide to support Obama-Biden. He said that McCain was not putting the country first in this choice and he felt that he couldn't trust McCain to make the right decisions on anything else.

Too bad it took him this long to figure THAT out, but at least he's coming around before it's too late.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Palin's BRIDGE to NOWHERE story might not be entirely true, either.

Some Dems Aren’t Buying Palin’s Bridge Story

Quote:
Last Friday, as John McCain introduced his running mate to the world, Gov. Sarah Palin characterized herself as a scrappy outsider who wasn’t afraid to buck the system when she stridently challenged construction of a $223 million bridge project in Alaska, which she sardonically called “that Bridge to Nowhere.” However, that’s not quite the tack she always took on that particular subject, according to some opponents from her home state.

The Washington Post:

“I told Congress, ‘Thanks but no thanks on that Bridge to Nowhere,’ ” Palin told a crowd in Dayton, Ohio.

But prominent Alaska Democrats said Palin supported the bridge while campaigning for governor and reversed course only after vocal opposition from fiscal conservatives in Washington, including McCain.

“She was the only candidate who was saying, ‘We’re going to build that bridge,’ ” said former governor Tony Knowles (D), who lost to Palin in the 2006 general election. “She’s taking a position now which certainly wasn’t what it was when she was campaigning.”

More at the link.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman