It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fact Check: Palin’s Dishonest Speech
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fact Check: Palin’s Dishonest Speech

The AP took a closer look at some of the claims in Sarah Palin’s speech Wednesday and found that the VP nominee, like some of her allies, is simply full of it on a number of points.

READ THE FACT CHECKS AT THE LINK.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:04 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Oh, yeah, that "road to nowhere" thingy.

Quote:
According to the Alaska Transportation Priorities Project, a group promoting "sensible transportation systems in the state," the Road to Nowhere is an irresponsible waste. The project has received more than $100 million in federal and state funding. This includes a $15 million dollar federal earmark and approximately $24 million in federal dollars passed through to the state. But it remains far from completion - hampered by opposition, environmental and safety concerns, and general wariness over its utility.

Palin has been anything but a steady fiscal hawk on the matter. The Governor came into office saying she supported the road, which was started under her predecessor Frank Murkowski. In an October 2006 questionnaire by Anchorage Daily News, she simply wrote "Yes" when asked "Do you support building a road from Juneau to Skagway?"

It's one thing to try and clear your name, preaching to the choir, at the RNC convention, and another to meet your maker in some future debate where those silly little things called facts contradict you. :roll:

During Palin's speech, she made this comment:
Quote:
Americans expect us to go to Washington for the right reason and not just to mingle with the right people. Politics isn't just a game of clashing parties and competing interests. The right reason is to challenge the status quo, to serve the common good, and to leave this nation better than we found it.

Clear your mind of the image of this nice little quote coming from the pitbull with lipstick, and this comment could have easily have come from Obama.

Palin made this little cutesy, slobbering with pitbull drool comment:
Quote:
Before I became governor of the great state of Alaska I was mayor of my hometown. And since our opponents in this presidential election seem to look down on that experience, let me explain to them what the job involved.

Trying to censor library books.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject: PALIN VS. REALITY (OR THE OTHER WAY ROUND)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If anyone ever goes to the BLOGGERS: VIEWS YOU CAN USE forum, check out some of the information gathered as the bloggers watched McCain's running mate and new liar extrordinaire stand and deliver:

PALIN VS. REALITY

PALIN: “Our opponents say, again and again, that drilling will not solve all of America's energy problems - as if we all didn't know that already. But the fact that drilling won't solve every problem is no excuse to do nothing at all.”

REALITY: PALIN SAID SHE WOULD BEG TO DISAGREE WITH ANY CANDIDATE WHO SAID WE CAN’T DRILL OUR WAY OUT OF OUR PROBLEM

Palin Said She Would Beg to Disagree With Candidate Who Said We Can’t Drill Our Way Out of Our Problem. Asked by Invester’s Business Daily “Some politicians and presidential candidates say we can't drill our way out of our energy problem and that drilling in ANWR will have no effect. What's your best guess of the impact on prices?” Palin responded, “I beg to disagree with any candidate who would say we can't drill our way out of our problem or that more supply won't ultimately affect prices. Of course it will affect prices. Energy being a global market, it's impossible to venture a guess on (specific) prices.” [Investor’s Business Daily, 7/11/08]

PALIN: “In fact, I told Congress -- I told Congress, ‘Thanks, but no thanks,’ on that bridge to nowhere.”

REALITY: PALIN WAS FOR THE BRIDGE TO NOWHERE BEFORE SHE WAS AGAINST IT.

October 2006” Palin Supported Bridge To Nowhere. In 2006, Palin was asked, “Would you continue state funding for the proposed Knik Arm and Gravina Island bridges?” She responded, “Yes. I would like to see Alaska's infrastructure projects built sooner rather than later. The window is now--while our congressional delegation is in a strong position to assist.” [Anchorage, 10/22/06, republished 08/29/08]

2006: Palin: Don’t Allow “Spinmeisters” To Turn Bridge To Nowhere Project “Into Something That’s So Negative.” "Part of my agenda is making sure that Southeast is heard. That your projects are important. That we go to bat for Southeast when we’re up against federal
influences that aren’t in the best interest of Southeast.' She cited the widespread negative attention focused on the Gravina Island crossing project. 'We need to come to the defense of Southeast Alaska when proposals are on the table like the bridge and not allow the
spinmeisters to turn this project or any other into something that’s so negative,' Palin said." [Ketchikan Daily News, 10/2/06]

REALITY: PALIN ONLY ANNOUNCED OPPOSITION TO ONE “BRIDGE TO NOWHERE,” STILL SUPPORTS THE OTHER ONE

Palin Refused to Fund Ketchikan Bridge, But Did Not Stop Funding for Knik Arm Bridge.“ Among the earmarks: $449 million for what critics have ridiculed as two ‘bridges to nowhere’ -- one in Ketchikan and one across Knik Arm in Anchorage formally named Don Young's Way. Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, also a Republican, last month refused to use any more money for the Ketchikan project, redirecting it for other purposes.” [Anchorage Daily News,11/11/07]

As Recently as June, State Asking for Cost Estimate Proposals for Knik Arm. “An independent party will be called in to look at one of the most elusive aspects of a proposed bridge linking Anchorage and Mat-Su: the price tag. Gordon Keith, regional director for the state Department of Transportation and Public Facilities, said his office will be putting the job of estimating the cost of the controversial project out for bids in coming weeks. He said the task of coming up with a price could cost up to $200,000 and take up to 3½ months. ‘The issue keeps swirling around, so we thought it best to go ahead and do an independent estimate,’ he said. The cost to get the estimate is going to be high ‘if you want to do it correctly,’ he said. The cost of a span reaching across Knik Arm from Anchorage to Point MacKenzie has ranged over the years from $450 million to $1 billion, depending on what kind of bridge is envisioned and what starting date is plugged into the formula… Randy Ruaro, a special assistant to Gov. Sarah Palin, said the administration, even in the face of the recent lengthy report from the bridge authority, was having trouble getting an accurate picture of everything that is involved in the project, of the timing of the phases, and of the costs. He said the independent estimate is expected to answer those questions. Mary Ann Pease, spokeswoman for the authority, said she welcomes the effort to get updated costs.” [Anchorage Daily News, 6/22/08]

PALIN: “Senator McCain also promises to use the power of veto in defense of the public interest - and as a chief executive, I can assure you it works.”

REALITY: PALIN OPPOSED CRUCIAL EDUCATION, HEALTH CARE AND SENIORS FUNDING

EDUCATION/CHILDREN

Total: 396,000.

Anchorage – Fire Lake Elementary School Replacement of Unsafe Sports Equipment. Palin vetoed $10,000. [FY08 Budget]

Tanana City School District – Repair School Bus. Palin vetoed $36,000. [FY08 Budget]

American Lung Association of Alaska – Asthma Control Program and Champ Camp. Palin voted $350,000. [FY08 Budget]

HOSPITALS/HEALTH CARE

Total: $4,527,500.

Ketchikan General Hospital Surgical Suite Expansion/Relocation. Palin vetoed $4,400,000. [FY09 Budget]

Ketchikan General Hospital – Replacement of Outdated Equipment. Palin vetoed $70,000. [2007 Legislature Supplemental]

Sitka – Community Hospital – Medical Equipment. Palin vetoed $31,000. [2007 Legislature Supplemental]

Kenai Peninsula Borough – Diagnostic Hospital Equipment. Palin vetoed $26,500. [2007 Legislature Supplemental]

SENIORS

Total: $600,000.

Ketchikan Senior Citizens, Inc. – Access Road for Pioneer Heights. Palin vetoed $300,000. [FY08 Budget]

AARP Ketchikan – Access Road for Ketchikan Senior Housing Project Palin vetoed $100,000. [2007 Legislature Supplemental]

Catholic Community Services – Angoon Senior Center Stove, Refrigerator and Freezer. Palin vetoed $20,000 twice. [FY08 Budget, 2007 Legislature Supplemental]

Alpha Omega Life Care, Inc. – Delivery Van and Moveable Building. Palin vetoed $20,000. [FY09 Budget]

Older Persons Action Group – Senior Voice Equipment Upgrade. Palin vetoed $20,000. [FY09 Budget]

Statewide Independent Living Centers – Assistive Technology for Alaska’s Centers for Independent Living. Palin vetoed $125,000. [FY09 Budget]

Kodiak Senior Center – Facilities repair and Equipment. Palin vetoed $15,000. [2007 Legislature Supplemental]

PALIN: “Before I became governor of the great state of Alaska, I was mayor of my hometown.”

REALITY: UNDER PALIN, WASILLA GOVERNMENT SPENDING & DEBT SKYROCKETED.

Total Government Expenditures Increased 63 Percent Under Palin. In fiscal 2003—the last fiscal year Palin approved the budget—the total government expenditures of Wasilla, excluding capital outlays, were $7,046,325. In fiscal 1996—the year before Palin took control of the
budget—the expenditures were $4,317,947. The increase was 63 percent. [Wasilla Comprehensive Annual Financial Report 2003, Table 1]

Palin Supported Increasing Wasilla Sales Tax From 2 to 2.5 Percent to Build $14.7 Million Sports Center. “Wasilla residents have given the go ahead to building a new multiuse sports center in town and to raising the city sales tax to pay for it. With the final votes counted
Friday, residents voted 306 to 286 in favor of a measure to raise the city sales tax from 2 percent to 2.5 percent to pay the estimated $14.7 million cost of building the center…Mayor Sarah Palin, who supported the measure, said the tight vote will motivate city officials to keep a close eye on the budget for the center.” [Anchorage Daily News, 3/9/02]

Palin Left Behind Almost $19 Million In Long-Term Debt, Compared to None Before She Was Mayor. In fiscal 2003—the last fiscal year Palin approved the budget—the bonded long-term debt was $18,635,000. In fiscal 1996—the year before Palin took control of the budget—there was no general obligation debt. [Wasilla Comprehensive Annual Financial Report 2003, Table 10]

PALIN: “It was the spirit that brought me to the governor’s office, when I took on the old politics as usual in Juneau … when I stood up to the special interests, the lobbyists, big oil companies, and the good-ol’ boys network.”

REALITY: PALIN HAS A LT. GOVERNOR WHO IS A FORMER OIL LOBBYIST, HIRED WASILLA’S FIRST FEDERAL LOBBYIST (A FORMER STEVENS STAFFER) & HAD THE SUPPORT OF ENTRENCHED ALASKA POLITICIANS DURING HER 2006 RACE.

Palin’s Oil & Gas Appointee Is Former Lobbyist for TransCanada. “Marty Rutherford, who leads Gov. Sarah Palin’s gas pipeline team, made $40,200 in 2003 while consulting in Juneau for a pipeline subsidiary of TransCanada. TransCanada is one of the companies bidding for a state license to build a pipeline to carry gas to market from Alaska’s North Slope. It’s not a disqualifier, but the past connection deserves a second thought.” [Anchorage Daily News editorial, 12/15/07]

Palin “Counting on Her Lieutenant Governor Candidate… Former Oil Lobbyist” to Help Win Oil Industry Support. “The defiantly grass-roots nature of the campaign may have distanced her from certain traditional centers of power in Alaska. The oil industry is one -- but the campaign says it is counting on her lieutenant governor candidate, Parnell, a former oil lobbyist and legislator, to help there.” [Anchorage Daily News, 10/24/06]

Palin’s Former Chief of Staff is Stevens’ Campaign Manager. “Monegan says pressure came from those around Palin, including former Palin chief-of-staff Mike Tibbles, Department of Administration Commissioner Annette Kreitzer, and director of boards and commissions Frank Bailey. Tibbles, who is now the campaign manager for Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens, said Friday he couldn't comment on whether he spoke to Monegan about Wooten.” [Anchorage Daily, 7/19/08]

As Mayor, Palin Hired a Washington Lobbyist to Help Get Earmarks for Wasilla – Lobbyist Was Former Chief of Staff for Indicted Senator Ted Stevens. “And as mayor of the small town of Wasilla from 1996 to 2002, Palin also hired a Washington lobbying firm that helped secure $8 million in congressionally directed spending projects, known as earmarks, according to public spending records compiled by the watchdog group Citizens Against Government Waste and lobbying documents. Wasilla's lobbying firm was headed by Steven Silver — a former chief of staff to Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens, a key proponent of the bridge project.” [USA Today, 8/31/08]

THERE'S MORE...MUCH MORE....AT THE LINK.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Check out BOB CESCA'S GODDAMN AWESOME BLOG

http://www.samefacts.com/archives/campa ... eality.php

A thorough debunking of Palin's lies....and more.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

OH MY STARS...PALIN HAS SO MUCH EXPERIENCE IN FOREIGN AFFAIRS! I FIND THAT EXTREMELY FUNNY SINCE HER FIRST PASSPORT WASN'T ISSUED UNTIL 2006!

I'M ALSO GLAD TO SEE THAT AT LEAST SOME OF THE MEDIA ARE CONTINUING TO DIG INTO PALIN'S PAST AND PRESENT TO DO THE VETTING MCSAME AND THE REPUKES DIDN'T DO!

Palin’s First Passport Issued in 2006

Apparently undeterred by Sarah Palin’s challenging stance from the RNC podium Wednesday night, The Boston Globe and other media outlets went about their business of vetting Palin’s past, as with any other public figure who aspires to play a major leadership role on the world stage. As it turns out, Palin’s own experience on said world stage has thus far been rather limited.

MORE AT THE LINK.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:28 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Here's the definition of big, effin', blunder:

Palin's Hockey Rink Leads To Legal Trouble in Town She Led
Quote:
By MICHAEL M. PHILLIPS | September 6, 2008; Page A5

WASILLA, Alaska -- The biggest project that Sarah Palin undertook as mayor of this small town was an indoor sports complex, where locals played hockey, soccer, and basketball, especially during the long, dark Alaskan winters.

The only catch was that the city began building roads and installing utilities for the project before it had unchallenged title to the land. The misstep led to years of litigation and at least $1.3 million in extra costs for a small municipality with a small budget. What was to be Ms. Palin's legacy has turned into a financial mess that continues to plague Wasilla.

D'oh! I'm here to cleanup abortion and gun-rights, not this small-town, moo-nicipal crap!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

McSame and Palin are a national disaster waiting to happen that will only exacerbate the disasters visited on this nation and the rest of the world by Bush and Cheney.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can we do some checking and see what Palin has said about her educational background? Here's an interesting story:

VP hopeful Palin attended 5 colleges in 6 years

Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin attended five colleges in six years before graduating from the University of Idaho in 1987.

Federal privacy laws prohibit the schools from disclosing her grades, and none of the schools contacted by The Associated Press could say why she transferred. There was no indication any of them were contacted as part of the background investigation of Palin by presidential candidate John McCain's campaign.

"Our office was not contacted by anyone," said Tania Thompson, spokeswoman for the University of Idaho in Moscow

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:15 am 

Catherine wrote:
"Our office was not contacted by anyone," said Tania Thompson, spokeswoman for the University of Idaho in Moscow.

Well there is her second foreign policy qualification. First she is the governor of Alaska, the only state that borders Russia. Now she went to college in Moscow. :lol: :lol:

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:52 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Since the women is handy with gun, shouldn't she volunteer for a tour of duty?

Why politicians decry earmarks, when they end up taking themselves? They make it a dirty word, then wallow in it themselves:
Quote:
"I know the governor of Alaska has been saying she's change, and that's great," Obama said. "She's a skillful politician. But, you know, when you've been taking all these earmarks when it's convenient, and then suddenly you're the champion anti-earmark person, that's not change. Come on! I mean, words mean something, you can't just make stuff up."

McCain has vowed to wipe out earmarks, which are targeted funding for specific projects that lawmakers put into spending bills. As governor, Palin originally supported earmarks for a controversial $398 million Alaska project dubbed the "bridge to nowhere." But she dropped her support after the state's likely share of the cost rose. She hung onto $27 million to build the approach road to the bridge.

Under Palin's leadership, Alaska this year asked for almost $300 per person in requests for pet projects from one of McCain's top adversaries: indicted Sen. Ted Stevens. That's more than any other state received, per person, from Congress for the current budget year. Other states got just $34 worth of local projects per person this year, on average, according to Citizens Against Government Waste, a Washington-based watchdog group.The state government's earmark requests to Congress in her first year in office exceeded $550 million, more than $800 per resident. Palin actually reduced the state government's requests for special projects this year in the wake of President Bush's demand for a cutback in earmarks.

Alaska also has become so accustomed to largess flowing from Congress through Stevens that most of Palin's earmark requests this year — such as studies of Alaskan fisheries, grants to combat drug trafficking, and rural airport upgrades — simply keep ongoing programs going. Among her requests was $150,000 to pay the travel bills of state and fisheries industry representatives on the boards that implement North Pacific fisheries agreements.

I guess, if she gets her wish, then Alaska goes SOL, then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

We are so fucked. :( Unless things change, there's no use for me to even spend time in a line at my voting place on Nov. 4. Remember how fast it was decided that Kerry-Edwards had lost the 2004 election? It'll be even faster this year when Obama-Biden have to concede. Obama lost his momentum the instant McSame announced that Ms. Mooseburger was his running mate. McSame and the Rethugs have simply outsmarted the Dems...and now McSame is on a roll which may carry him right into the White House.

I wonder if Karl Rove has become McSame's campaign manager's advisor.. Rove would be able to correctly read the current psychology of the American people so very well and know how stupid and silly they act when someone like Palin comes onto the scene. Palinmania has come to be very close to Beatlemania! I'm thinking that we Americans tend to subconsciously want to return to our pre-Revolutionary days and be ruled by a monarchy again.

Very few Americans really care about the actual issues, and the two Democratic candidates are still dancing around McSame and Ms. Moosemeat like featherweights vs. heavyweights. Obama is talking about his "faith" and Biden is still praising Ms. Mooseburger... :roll:

We are so fucked...

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:01 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Oh, she fired that chef alright -- by moving her around the capital:

Quote:
... Palin didn't just kick out the "uppity" gourmet chef, she claimed she planned on cooking herself, with her kids chipping in to make sandwiches.

As you might expect, this turns out to be another Palin fabrication. The 6/29/07 Anchorage Daily News article about the firing actually reveals the shocking truth behind the deception.

First, firing the governor's chef saved no money at all, because the chef was transferred, not fired. In the article, an e-mail from the fired chef, Stefani Marnon, to friends and colleagues is quoted as saying "Friday will be my last day at the house, but I will still be employed with the state."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Palin facing new accusations as US campaign grows negative

Republican vice presidential pick Sarah Palin faced accusations Sunday of handing jobs to friends while serving as Alaska state governor, as the presidential campaign grew increasingly negative.

The New York Times reported that Palin had given the 95,000-dollar-a-year directorship of the state division of agriculture to a high school classmate, Franci Havemeister, who cited her childhood love of cows as a qualification for running the agency.

Havemeister was one of at least five schoolmates Palin hired, often at salaries far exceeding their private sector wages, the paper noted in an investigative report.

"Throughout her political career, she has pursued vendettas, fired officials who crossed her and sometimes blurred the line between government and personal grievance, according to a review of public records and interviews with 60 Republican and Democratic legislators and local officials," The Times wrote.

The paper said that its investigation had shown that in Alaska, Palin was running an administration that "puts a premium on loyalty and secrecy."

According to the findings, the governor and her top aides sometimes use personal e-mail accounts for state business, and dozens of e-mails obtained by The Times showed that her staff members studied whether that could allow them to beat subpoenas seeking public records.

The revelations came a day after the presidential campaign had been dominated by Hurricane Ike.

Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama urged his supporters Saturday to help victims of the monstrous storm while also promising economic relief to hard-pressed Americans suffering "quiet storms" in their own lives.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:01 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Whose a better advocate for kids than Sarah?

Palin cut funding for Alaska Special Olympics

Quote:
Campaigning in Colorado today, Gov. Sarah Palin (R-AK) promised renewed attention to kids with special needs. She declared, “Ever since I took the chief executive’s job up North I pushed for more funding for students with special needs,” and cited her own family’s experience with the issue.
It’s a stretch to say she “pushed” for any policy improvements. Though Palin did sign a law increasing special education funding in Alaska, “she had no role whatsoever” in its development, according to the bill’s author, Rep. Mike Hawker (R). Moreover, as governor, Palin vetoed $275,000 in Special Olympics Alaska funds (Page 100, SB 221 with vetoes), slashing the organization’s operating budget in half.

And, my, my, my, my, my -- the repugs went out of their way to commemorate the 40th Anniversary of this important event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

But how many Americans know about her slashing the SO budget? If they do know, do they care? If there was ever a monster hiding behind a pretty face, it's the one named Sarah Palin. Unfortunately, Americans have forgotten that beauty is only skin-deep but ugliness goes right to the core.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman