It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ike Weakens Slightly
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ike Weakens Slightly

Extremely dangerous Category 3 Hurricane Ike with 120-mph sustained winds is moving into the northern coast of eastern Cuba.

As of 8 p.m. EDT, Ike was located about 60 miles N of Guantanamo, Cuba, and moving west at 14 mph.

PROJECTED PATH

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

[url=http://climate.weather.com/articles/iketexas090905.html?from=hp_news]Hurricane Ike takes aim at South Texas
[/url]

McALLEN, Texas (AP) -- With Hurricane Ike steaming into the Gulf of Mexico, Texas emergency officials Tuesday stood ready to order 1 million people evacuated from the impoverished Rio Grande Valley and tried to convince tens of thousands of illegal immigrants that they have less to fear from the Border Patrol than from the storm.

Emergency planning officials were meeting all day to decide if and when to announce a mandatory evacuation for coastal counties close to the Mexican border.

With forecasts showing Ike blowing ashore this weekend, authorities lined up nearly 1,000 buses in case they are needed to move out the many poor and elderly people who have no cars.

Federal authorities gave assurances they would not check people's immigration status at evacuation loading zones or inland checkpoints. But residents were skeptical, and there were worries that many illegal immigrants would refuse to board buses and go to shelters for fear of getting arrested and deported.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:26 pm 

Catherine wrote:
McALLEN, Texas (AP) -- With Hurricane Ike steaming into the Gulf of Mexico, Texas emergency officials Tuesday stood ready to order 1 million people evacuated from the impoverished Rio Grande Valley and tried to convince tens of thousands of illegal immigrants that they have less to fear from the Border Patrol than from the storm.
. . .
Federal authorities gave assurances they would not check people's immigration status at evacuation loading zones or inland checkpoints. But residents were skeptical, and there were worries that many illegal immigrants would refuse to board buses and go to shelters for fear of getting arrested and deported.

No amount of reassurances are sufficient.
1. This is an election year and that is Texas; meaning the attitude is "they're just Mexicans."
2. Lying to catch a criminal is not only legal but encouraged.
3. There is no downside for the authorities that lie and then deport anyway.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yesterday evening, you would have thought there was some dire and unexpected emergency in my area...every gas station was being mobbed by people buying gas! I was told that some local news station and stated that people had better buy their gas now before Ike hit the Texas refineries and the fear tactic worked! Gas was over $5.00 a gallon in many places and stations were running out! The lines were unbelievable. I thought this is what will happen if there ever is a disastrous event in my area. It was everyone for himself or herself...PANIC!

I gotta fill up my SUV and all of my other vehicles because gas might not be available! Get out of the way! :roll: I don't think anyone considered simply staying at home or canceling all but essential trips for a few days. :roll:

Anyway, Ike is still a dangerous storm: WORST IMPACTS FROM IKE ARE ROTATING INWARD

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs. ... 0880912039

Quote:
Asheville – Responding to gas shortages and soaring prices today, Gov. Mike Easley declared a state of “abnormal market disruption.”

The move will charge Attorney General Roy Cooper with enforcing the state’s price gouging law, Easley said.

Consumers should not be seeing prices rise much more than 20 cents per gallon, he said.

“As a result of Hurricanes Gustav and Ike, oil refineries in Texas and Louisiana have temporarily interrupted some gasoline supplies to the pipelines that serve North Carolina. Therefore, there may be temporary limitations on our gas supply.

“However, wholesale gas prices are up less than 20 cents a gallon over the last few days," the governor said.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman