It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Mighty Wurlitzer: How the CIA Played America: A New
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:49 pm 

Book on CIA Domestif Front Groups and Media propaganda outlets.
I just stumbled upon this new book about the CIA and citizen front groups. It looks promising, and I will report back to the citizenry on its contents.

http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Wurlitzer- ... 0674026810

Wilford teaches History at the University of Sheffield and California State University, Long Beach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:49 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I think you would enjoy the brand new 'The True Story of the Bilderberg Group.'

I got banned at Political Forum US & World Politics for mentioning it. My post got deleted as well. The PM from an obviously irate admin stated this was the post that got me banned.

To complete the trifecta of reading a superb, well documented, conspiracy novel, a black helicopter hovered over my neighbors house for close to half an hour. I videotaped until the batteries died. Nothing like visions of a half dozen agents descending and kicking in your windows and doors while reading about the most powerful group in Europe and America.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:36 pm 

sounds like a high voltage text! Ill have to check it out. Thank you . Either that or some high voltage tang. No you are just kidding about proverbial black hellicopter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:49 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

nathaniel heidenheimer wrote:
sounds like a high voltage text! Ill have to check it out. Thank you . Either that or some high voltage tang. No you are just kidding about proverbial black hellicopter?

Not kidding, I have the videotape. I mentioned the occurrence in my Amazon review and fear they have, thus far, not aired it due to it sounding unbelievable.

I can make copies easily enough. I panned down into the neighborhood to prove where it was taken.

It even came back and I got more footage with a different video camera.
When it came back again, my still camera was unable to focus on a black chopper at night however. It didn't stay long enough to use manual focus.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:06 pm 

Much about Farfield Foundation in Hugh Wilford's new book.

* Somone named John Thompson was its Executive Director in 1959. He arranged the CIA cash funneling to Sidney Hook and Partisan Review
in 1959 for the Farfield Foundation..... "Still , this squemishness did not prevent him from pursing a plan for raising the international profile of
his beloved Partisan Review: publishing a Euro. edition of the mag. secretly backed by the CIA. In Jan. 1950, back in Paris, Phillips contacted
an expat. American author and UNESCO official, H.J. "Kappy" Kaplan, asking if Kaplan would be interested in managing the venture..." This
particular Kaplan said no. p. 105. (any other contracts of IRC types with UNESCO?)

* Who Knew? (unfortunately, this is now a genre: thank you Barnes and Noble! They had Mrs. Paines Garage in this new genre) The Farfield
Foundation was Originally called the Heritage Foundation. Its first suggar daddy was a "Junkie" (anything other than gin in that cash cow?)
Fleishman who got rich by making gin for the unchristian halves of Cincinnatti and keeping them up to date and plowed under. Julius"Junkie"
Fleishman was also asscociated with the ACCF (American Comm.. For Cultural Freedom) and its parent CCF. The author states that the ACCF
was originally there just as a US stabalizer/front for the CCF, and that the former was considerably more brusk 'n grumpy. This sometimes led
to conflict with the CCF, which was more atune to the left-liberal sensibilities of the European target group of Encounter Mag. Wilford makes it
seem like the ACCF was just a sideshow and often a nuisance to at least its most direct handlers at CIA.

* The Heritage Foundation was renamed the Farfield Foundation in August 1952.

* From the department of "No Worries, Different Division": author quotes the researcher Richard Cummings, stating that George Plimpton, later near
RFK at the time of his assassination, as a CIA 'agent of influence' This guy Cummings wrote what looks like a good book about AllArd Lowenstein, by
the way. Wolford says that Plimpton's partner at Paris Review Peter Matthiessen, used the magazine "as a cover for his his work as a CIA officer"

* Fleishman and the Farfield Foundation may have continued funding the ACCF for a little while after they had lived beyond their purposefullness as
a "backstop" to the CCF. Farfield funding stopped in Jan. 1953. Interestingly, the ACCF found another backer in Henry Luce. "whose contributions
came in the form of Time, Inc., stock" p.90

* wait a minute... the Farfield Foundation came up with another grant to the ACCF in 1955 to fund "its reception center for visiting European inteectuals,
and a further 4,000 by the Asia Foundation ( a CIA proprietary analogous in function to the Free Europe Committee) to help establish a similar facility
for Asian visitors. Wilord says that Farfield emphasized the 'European' more than the "vistors' in line with CIA and Farfields simply seeing the ACCF as
a "backstop" ... but there seems room for other interpretations i.e. some compartmentalization in CIA relations between ACCF and CCF.

Wilford's book The Mighty Wurlitzer: is worth owning. It is fair and balanced. At first I suspected that it might be a bit of a damage control after Francis Stonor Saunders, The CIA and Culture. It isn't. It credits and builds upon Saunders work, but adds a lot of new stuff. It deals with CIA relations with artisists and intellectuals, deftly and fairly without SEEMING to pull any punches. This is not easy, given the subject matter. I am just now reaching the section on the CIA and journalists. Unfortunately this seems to be one of the shorter chapters, but hell the guy's gotta hold a job down!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:29 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I've read other books, like The Mighty Wurlitzer: How the CIA Played America, and a lot of that played-out during the cold war.

You had scrupulous commie-haters that was able to convince previous administrations to divert 10's of millions of dollars in funding to CIA backed projects with all sorts of weird goals.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.