It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VP DEBATE: LIKES AND DISLIKES
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

WHAT DID YOU ALL LIKE ABOUT BIDEN? DISLIKE?

WHAT DID YOU LIKE ABOUT PALIN? DISLIKE?

EVALUATE THE TWO ON THE ISSUES AND HOW THEY ACTUALLY ANSWERED GWEN IFELL'S QUESTIONS.

:wink:

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vice Presidential Debate Live-Blogging

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:05 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I liked Biden's comebacks against Palin's worn-out stump speechifying.

I disliked Palin's yammering on about hometown values, like she was the only VP-select on that stage with them.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:07 am 

After serious discussion with my doctor, we decided that it would be best for my mental, emotional and physical health, not to watch the debate. Since nothing being said would change my mind and I could only get livid with anger over Caribou Barbie, this was the wisest course. We are already early voting in many states, the existence of undecideds/fence sitters is a myth constructed by the MSM to enhance ratings. If one is truly undecided after making a through investigation of the issues and candidates, do the country a favor and don't vote. We need as few votes for Caribou Barbie and Corrupt Old Bastard (COB) McWar as possible because she's as cute as a button.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I thought Biden was fabulous. He answered the questions, was very respectful of both the moderator and Palin. I was amazed at how Biden was able to defend against Palin's rambling accusations and flirty, winky attitude and still manage to answer the questions from the moderator, and answer them well.

I loved Biden's reference to the Road to Nowhere and his saying that John McCain was no maverick for the American people where it really counted. Palin stood there with no reaction when Biden choked up when mentioning his family...and this was in reaction to Palin's verbal diahrrea about her own "diverse" family. Biden called Cheney the most dangerous VP in American history and Palin did not actually say that she disapproved of Cheney.

I think she wants more power than Cheney ever dreamed of wanting. Palin was so saturated with the McCain talking points, she couldn't veer from them. She is indeed a master of the nonanswer...just what her opponent in the Governor's race said about her.

I can't believe the talking heads are saying that Palin won! They must have been watching a different debate than what I did.

Palin's repetitions of "also," "up in Alaska," and "maverick" were nauseating.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:18 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

And I like the fact that Biden shot-down the Maverick thing.

I do not like the fact that Palin showed her ignorance again, putting words into the mouth of a military leader in Afghanistan, first saying the surge would work, getting knocked down for that, then saying that the counter-insurgency strategy would work.

HuffPo points out that she was wrong on both counts.

And the commanding general's name is McKiernan not McClellan!

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:20 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
After serious discussion with my doctor, we decided that it would be best for my mental, emotional and physical health, not to watch the debate. Since nothing being said would change my mind and I could only get livid with anger over Caribou Barbie, this was the wisest course. We are already early voting in many states, the existence of undecideds/fence sitters is a myth constructed by the MSM to enhance ratings. If one is truly undecided after making a through investigation of the issues and candidates, do the country a favor and don't vote. We need as few votes for Caribou Barbie and Corrupt Old Bastard (COB) McWar as possible because she's as cute as a button

I have decided to make an appointment with my doctor for Wednesday, November 5. I'm going to tell him that he will have to treat me for either serious depression or serious happiness overload.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

CZ...four things about Palin really stood out for me and reminded me of that old Stephen King book "The Dead Zone."

1. Palin had a set of answers and she intended to spout them out regardless of the questions. That was not only presumptious of her, but it was rude, it was disrespectful of the viewing audience and it was especially disrespectful of Gwen Ifill. The pundits have been talking how Ifill might not be the "right" moderator for this debate due to her new book about African Americans coming out in January. Let's see if any of them mention Palin's disrespect and disdain for Gwen Ifill. I thought it was damned apparent in her ignoring the questions asked by Ifill.

2. Palin went on and on about her "diverse family." Yet she stood there coldly and with no expression on her face when Joe Biden tearfully talked about being a scared single parent after his wife and daughter were killed in an accident. My guess is that Palin was listening to the voice in her ear, telling her what to say next. She sure as hell did some furious writing while Biden was talking.

3. Palin changed to the folksy, cutesy-poo, chirpy mode when she wanted to avoid a real answer. That is demeaning to all females and certainly didn't make her look better informed or more qualified. She never did say what she would do as president if McCain died...she just reiterated the same old Republican talking points we hard spout from McCain's mouth when he debated Obama.

4. The most chilling thing about Palin, besides her obvious lack of intelligence, was the fact that she did not say that she disagreed with Dick Cheney on the executive branch's power.

The reason her behavior reminded me of The Dead Zone is her obvious thirst for power. She wants to be VP in the worst way. She has no scruples about wanting to drill in the Wildlife Refuge. She has no scruples about wanting to being as powerful as Dick Cheney. She supports John McCain which means she does not put the country first. That Downs Syndrome child she carries around is a lot like that child the presidential candidate-villain in King's book hid behind at the climax of the story.

She makes Bush and Cheney look like kewpie dolls compared to her and McCain.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:48 am 

And we said there couldn't be anything worse than Bush/Cheney. How wrong we were.

What stood out most for me was Palin's push for power, wanting to increase the reach of the VP. If I were McSame, I would have a food taster if the voting machines put him in power.

Did anyone else get the feeling as Palin stared into the camera of a moose in the headlights?

Biden, with all the knowledge he has, made her look even more unintelligent. Just what we need, someone who is power thirsty and stupid. Shades of W.

I can't tell you how much she grates on my nerves!

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is from the Electoral Vote website that tracks daily polls:

The Vice-Presidential Debate

Sen. Joe Biden and Gov. Sarah Palin faced off in their first and only Vice-Presidential debate last night, each one claiming to be the champion of the middle class. The debate was cordial but pointed, with each of them clearly attacking the other party's positions, but not each other. At the beginning, Palin asked permission to call him "Joe," which he granted. This made her seem folksy. But he didn't take the bait and always referred to her as "governor" to sound respectful and avoid insulting women.

Biden was clearly in command of the material, as one might expect from someone who has been in the Senate 36 years. Palin was shakier, but not as bad as in the interview with Katie Couric. She often avoided answering questions and didn't get any follow-up questions from Ifill as she did from Couric. For example, when Ifill asked her what she'd do about the mortgage crisis, she said: "Let's commit ourselves--just everyday American people, Joe Six-Pack, hockey moms across the nation--I think we need to band together and say, 'Never again.'" She didn't explain how hockey moms could get together to prevent a financial crisis. If you missed the debate or want to see it again, the Washington Post has the full video available.

The bottom line is that Vice-Presidential debates are fun to watch but don't really matter. The greatest line in any Vice-Presidential debate in history was surely Lloyd Bentsen's 1988 reply to Dan Quayle's comparing himself to President Kennedy: "I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you are no Jack Kennedy." But it didn't help. Dukakis/Bentsen were crushed by a Bush/Quayle landslide.

The first polls of the Vice-Presidential debate are already in. A CNN poll run by Opinion Research shows that 51% of the voters think Joe Biden did the best job at the debate and 36% thought Sarah Palin did the best job.

As to beating the expectations (which both parties were trying furiously to set as low as possible), both did. Eighty-four percent said Palin did better than expected and 64% said Biden did better than expected. But debating skills and beating artificially low expectations don't really matter.

What matters is whether the candidate is qualified to be President should the need arise. On this score, Biden clearly won as 87% said Biden is qualified to be President and only 42% said Palin is.

CBS also did a quickie poll among uncommitted voters. In this one, 46% said Biden won and only 21% said Palin won. In terms of being knowledgeable about the issues, 98% think Biden is and 66% think Palin is. On the key question of whether the candidate could be an effective President, 91% said Biden could be and only 44% said Palin could be, similar to the CNN poll.

If the mud begins the fly (e.g., Republican ads about Wright, Ayers, and Rezko), the Democrats may try to exploit fears about Palin becoming President by running ads like this one. Nominally, it is only about McCain not releasing his medical records, but the message is pretty clear.

http://www.electoral-vote.com/

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: What Does Gov. Palin Have in Her Right Ear?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What Does Gov. Palin Have in Her Right Ear?

This photo was taken straight from CNN’s video on their breaking news website. It’s a screen-shot from their video of the debate.

There were very few moments where Palin’s right side was in view of the camera, but actually it can be seen from the straight on views as well.

GO TO LINK TO SEE THE VIDEO

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:28 pm 

There is no doubt it's a device to give her sound bites on what ever the question would be asked. We all know it worked with George W. Bush in his two election bids with three known devices.

I'm sure the news media...CNN will cast this aside and that will be it.

I wouldn't be surprised that McNasty had one...device on Sept. 26th debate, and will have one come Monday, Oct 6th.

Follow-up:

I've went back and viewed the debate, when Gwen Ifill gave the question to Palin. It appears she takes about four seconds to respond to the question. This is probably where the person..located back stage or somewhere, giving her the sound bite. Also during the Biden response, she could get a "ear full" on what to follow-up with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This takes the cake...UNQUALIFIED PALIN SAYING TO FAUX NOISE THAT OBAMA SHOULD BE "DISQUALIFIED" AS COMMANDER IN CHIEF!"

Palin: Statements on war should disqualify Obama as commander-in-chief

Republican vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin suggested to Fox News's Carl Cameron in her first post-debate interview on Friday morning that she thought she had done pretty well in the debate.

In a remark that is sure to be controversial, Palin also told Cameron that Barack Obama's statements "about the war" should "disqualify someone from consideration as the next commander in chief," because "some of his comments about Afghanistan and what we're doing there -- supposedly just air-raiding villages and killing civilians -- that's reckless."

Time Magazine's Mark Halperin found Palin's implication that Obama ought to be "disqualified" as a candidate for his criticism of Bush administration policy unusual enough to be worth quoting at "The Page," though he did so without comment.

Palin's statement about Obama came in the course of some negative remarks about her earlier interviews with Charlie Gibson and Katie Couric. She confessed to Cameron that "the Sarah Palin in those interviews was a little bit annoyed," because the "media elite" expected her to answer the questions they asked instead of saying what she thought "Americans want to hear."

"It's like 'Man, no matter what you say, you're going to get clobbered,'" Palin complained. "You choose to answer a question, you're going to get clobbered on the answer. You choose to try to pivot and go on to another subject that you believe that Americans want to hear about, you get clobbered for that, too. ... In the Katie Couric interviews, I did feel that there were a lot of things that she was missing."

Palin's tendency to avoid answering questions has started to attract unfavorable attention. CBS's Bob Schieffer suggested in post-debate commentary, "I must say that I found it a little disconcerting, time and again, Sarah Palin would choose not to answer the question and launch into some dissertation -- sometimes talking points -- and not really address what Ifill had asked her."

There is even a satirical "Sarah Palin Debate Flow Chart" already online that includes such directions as "Do you have a card that is vaguely related" and "Give your canned response, even if it ignores the question."

Jane Hamsher at Firedoglake was particularly struck by Palin's failure to respond to a question directed to both candidates about their Achilles heels, writing that "her complete inability to do anything other than insert prepared speeches into more or less appropriate places became clear when Gwen Ifill asked the candidates about their personal limitations."

"She does not know what 'achilles heel' means," Hamsher continues. "Watch it. She Does. Not. Know. What. It.Means. Forget the tight stripper skirt, forget the metallic eyeshadow inappropriate for anyone over the age of 40, forget the cloying sitcom delivery, the lies, the cruel and calculated needling of Biden by calling his college professor wife a "school teacher" and saying "she'll get her reward in Heaven" (to a man whose first wife died in a car accident) -- she's an idiot."

Here are a few more links to this story:

http://thepage.time.com/2008/10/03/pali ... -fox-news/

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3091/290 ... dc.jpg?v=0

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:51 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I liked when it was over so I could listen to some commentary.

All of the Wall street candidates work for the same folks. War in the Middle East, give to the rich, take from the middle class, tensions with the world etc.

I've heard so many lies from the Reps that I think they ought to be tossed in jail. So I don't listen to their Manichean sound bites.

Looks like the power elite may be folding up the card table anyway.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:21 am 

Purple Tang wrote:
Looks like the power elite may be folding up the card table anyway.

With today's rape of the American public, it may be enough satisfy their lusts for a few months. They can take their $700,000,000,000 and go on vacation and recreate while they figure how to drain us of any remaining valuables. With both candidates supporting this piece of shit, the only ones that should be rejoicing are the makers of anti-depressants.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote