It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why A Powell Endorsement Would Matter
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Why A Powell Endorsement Would Matter

I've been reading all the rumors that former Republican Secretary of State Colin Powell will endorse Barack Obama tomorrow on Meet the Press. If he does what will it mean for the Obama campaign and his chances to win the presidency? If he should endorse McCain, what will it mean for his campaign?

Quote:
If reports are true that Colin Powell will endorse Senator Obama this weekend on Meet the Press, it may be a huge moment that gives a further shot of credibility into the arm of the Obama campaign.

I know that many progressives are upset with the role Powell played leading up to the war in Iraq. And, there's no doubt that Powell showed poor judgment in believing the fudged intelligence presented to him, which he then presented to the United Nations. At the same time, however, we do have evidence that Powell tried behind the scenes to change things and even prevent going to war. In this, he can be a powerful advocate for Obama, noting that for all the talk of lack of experience, Barack Obama was right on the Iraq war, and showed better judgment than the entire Bush administration, himself included.

Powell has been open about some of his own culpability, for presenting bad information to the UN, and accepts the fact that it will be a stain on his record, telling a reporter, "Of course it will. It's a blot. I'm the one who presented it on behalf of the United States to the world, and (it) will always be part of my record. It was painful. It's painful now."

I'm not excusing Colin Powell for doing what he did. But, at the same time, him being one of the few who was in the White House during that time puts him in a unique position -- to say he's been there and seen what happens when intelligence is no good and twisted, when we go into a war for the wrong reasons and in the wrong way, and that he's confident that Barack Obama is the guy to not only fix those mistakes, but to not repeat them.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: Why A Powell Endorsement Would Matter
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:52 pm 

If Colin Powell doesn't endorse Obama, it's going to look bad on his part, due to the fact there's been so much talk about it happening this Sunday on the tube.

He may just say he believes in Obama plans, but refrains from going all out for the endorsement.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:42 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Nice HuffPo link, but I think this one speaks for me:
Quote:
The idea that being endorsed by someone like that is a good thing - well, that logic may fly in the television studios of New York and D.C., but it shouldn't fly anywhere else. A person whose most important legacy is destroying America's international credibility shouldn't be seen as a Serious or Respectable person, nor an asset to any campaign, no matter how many apologists - liberal or conservative - claim that "behind the scenes" Powell was really a good guy. He wasn't a good guy - he was one of the handful of people who knowingly lied us into a war. That the elite media imparts even an ounce of credibility to this dishonest yes-man is not a commentary on Powell's alleged positive attributes. It is a reflection of the elite media's deep disdain for the facts and truth it purports to respect.

The article goes on to talk about the TV news lies we'll probably hear in relation to Powell's endorsement:

Quote:
... there's no evidence that Colin Powell has a huge following outside of television green rooms in Washington, D.C., or in the African American community - and there never has been such evidence.

And that's how I'll take it if he endorses Obama -- "Hm, that's interesting." That are certainly plenty of other endorsements that should be played-up.

How should Obama play it?

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

In order to understand the value of such an endorsement for Obama, I think we have to look at it not from our point of view, but from the points of view of those who are tottering towards McCain because they think/believe/imagine/have been told that Obama will be "soft" on terrorism. Perhaps they have Repub family and friends who have been saturating them with the same lies those robocalls contain. Maybe they live in a community where every other lawn contains a Mccain-Palin sign.

To many moderates and conservatives, Powell represents the days right after 9/11 before we found out that Bush's "leadership" was a facade. Powell appeals to those who think the military and Homeland Security are the most important things in America. Is Powell going to endorse a man who "pals around with terrorists?" Is he going to endorse a man who is "anti-American?" Is he going to endorse a man who wants to "take your guns away?" Do I dare suggest that Powell might be also fishing for a possible position on the Obama cabinet?

Also in my view, Colin Powell endorsing Obama will be one more blow to the McCain campaign. It might help put to rest once and for all those tired old lies about Obama that spews daily from the mouths of McCain and especially from the toxic mouth of Sarah Palin.

What will the McCain campaign have to talk about then? If they can't attack, they have no message....none at all.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:57 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Yeah, in this instance I'll allow the media to play up the Powell endorsement. A little TV news lie doesn't hurt anybody.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:55 am 

Follow-up:

Colin Powell did endorse Barack Obama. He spent about six minutes leading up to why he was endorsing Obama.

My thoughts... at least we know one Republican voting for Obama.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

While I disagree with the positions Powell has taken in the past about the Iraq war and other Bush admin issues, I am very impressed with the way he explained how he came to his decision to vote for Barack Obama.

Thought processes like that aren't supposed to go on in "real" Repub heads. Too bad we don't see it happening more if one really wants to put his/her "country first."

Powell will be attacked in the next few days by the usual rightwing scums, but I am happy that Powell has done this, and I am happy that he explained why in such detail.

If for no other reason, Powell's endorsement should cripple a lot of the negativity the McCain campaign is currently using, especially the talking points being touted by Palin.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:42 pm 

Not giving a psychologist point of view here on Colin Powell. I think he was never a Bush coat tailer...only to use Bush to get the Secretary of State appointment. During the time he was Secretary of State, he never saw eye to eye with GWB, and his mad house. We saw that when he resign in 2006. Colin Powell may have came back to his real roots on all this political trash.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:55 pm 

I used to have great respect for Powell, but after he went in front of the UN and straight up lied about WMDs, I lost it all. Yeah, its good that he endorses Barack, but I still don't like him.