It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EARLY VOTING IS LIKE,
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:00 pm 

HAVING AN ACE UP THE SLEEVE.
This early voting scares me when you have two weeks before the votes are counted. These Republican Secretary of States in these states that vote early have what the Ol' West gambler have, and Ace up the sleeve. There's too much time to count...one for Obama, three for McCain.

Post subject: Re: EARLY VOTING IS LIKE,
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:35 pm 

Since the polling place I'm working is not my home precinct, I am sent an Early Ballot automatically. I do not however mail the ballot. I place it a special ballot box just for Early Ballots on Election Day. This way I know it is counted at the same time as regular ballots. In Arizona, elections are controlled on the county level by the County Recorder and the Secretary of State for the state has NO involvement (much to her Repug chagrin). The main function of the Secretary of State is to keep records for the licensing boards of the state and replace the Governor if the need arise, we have no Lt. Governor.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:02 pm 

Well, PL... do you remember a Secretary of State by the name Katherine Harris? There was another one... Ohio 2004. Remember he was the one that fixed some voting precincts.
There are several just like her and him in some red states.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:53 pm 

KF—
I am well aware that these people exist. My fear is not that they will repeat their actions of past elections, since the spotlights are trained to catch them if they attempt them again. It is the new crimes (they euphemistically call strategies) they have created to steal this election that worries me. Election theft is not a tactic or strategy, it is a crime and most undemocratic thing devised. I forget who said it but it is as true today as ever, "The price of Freedom is eternal vigilance."
APL

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

My husband and I are voting today. I'm hoping the lines won't be long but if they are, I hope they're all voting for Obama. :mrgreen:

I'll be volunteering Friday at our local Democratic Headquarters, too.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

UPDATE...the lines weren't long at all, although we did wait about ten minutes to be led to the voting machines. One elderly lady had a hard time. She wanted to vote a "straight ticket," but that wasn't possible as there were three screens displayed: 1. President and VP 2. State candidates 3. Judiciary and local

The election official was very patient with her.

Went to a restaurant after voting for lunch and we were wearing our "I Voted Early Today"stickers on our shirts. Our server complimented us on our voting stickers, leaned down, and asked if we'd mind telling her which presidential candidate we'd supported. (We're in this restaurant often) When we said "Obama," she clapped her hands and said "GREAT"...!

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:17 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

A Proud Liberal wrote:
KF—
I am well aware that these people exist. My fear is not that they will repeat their actions of past elections, since the spotlights are trained to catch them if they attempt them again. It is the new crimes (they euphemistically call strategies) they have created to steal this election that worries me. Election theft is not a tactic or strategy, it is a crime and most undemocratic thing devised. I forget who said it but it is as true today as ever, "The price of Freedom is eternal vigilance."
APL

That would be Jefferson. I am still looking for a 6' statue of the great hero.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson