It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Obama attacks the Constitution....
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:39 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

in what may well prove to be a mistake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqHlc2C895c

I believe he calls it "the fundamental flaw that continues to this day."

Sounds like a guy planning on replacing it to me.

Of course it is flawed. But Obama has passed about 1/5 of the hurdles requisite to start talking about replacing it.

I wonder if he spent his recent day off with Kissinger.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject: Re: Obama attacks the Constitution....
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Sounds like a guy planning on replacing it to me.

Do I hear a Sarah Palin echo in here?

Barack Obama was a law professor at the University of Chicago School of Law for many years.

Essentially, what Obama is referring to in your link is slavery... In other words, slavery was not outlawed in the initial writing of the Constitution because of the threatened loss of support of pro-slave states. Many of the signers of the Constitution were slave owners and certainly wouldn't have supported any document that threatened their enslaved workforces. What Obama is referring to as a "fundamental flaw" of the Constitution is that the document made economic concessions on a moral issue. Hell, I think the Constitution was fundamentally flawed when it didn't give women the right to vote. Why do you think the Constitution has been AMENDED so many times? It's not a perfect document, not from its origin and not even now.

For the original context of the conversation go to the WBEZ public radio website, where the interview was originally conducted and is now archived. It's the Sept 6th, 2001 program entitled, "Slavery and the Constitution". The comment is made about 45 minutes into the interview.

I'd advise that you actually listen to the WHOLE THING, because not only is it a very interesting topic, but also because IT PROVIDES CONTEXT FOR Obama's COMMENTS.

Here's one LINK

And of course, along comes Drudge and McCain with one more attack to frighten the sheeple....http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch ... attac.html

Obama Campaign Response:

[quote]"In this interview back in 2001, Obama was talking about the civil rights movement -- and the kind of work that has to be done on the ground to make sure that everyone can live out the promise of equality," Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton said. "Make no mistake, this has nothing to do with Obama’s economic plan or his plan to give the middle class a tax cut. It’s just another distraction from an increasingly desperate McCain campaign."

Burton continued: "In the interview, Obama went into extensive detail to explain why the courts should not get into that business of 'redistributing' wealth. Obama’s point -- and what he called a tragedy -- was that legal victories in the civil rights led too many people to rely on the courts to change society for the better. That view is shared by conservative judges and legal scholars across the country.

"As Obama has said before and written about, he believes that change comes from the bottom up -- not from the corridors of Washington," Burton said. "He worked in struggling communities to improve the economic situation of people on the South Side of Chicago, who lost their jobs when the steel plants closed. And he’s worked as a legislator to provide tax relief and health care to middle-class families. And so, Obama’s point was simply that if we want to improve economic conditions for people in this country, we should do so by bringing people together at the community level and getting everyone involved in our democratic process."
[/quote]

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:49 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

OK.....I'll believe you.

Wish I could remove myself from political lists where anybody can send accusatory emails to everyone on the list. I get hammered with dozens of political emails/daily.

I just hope that Obama proves my fears to be ungrounded.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:29 pm 

Purple Tang wrote:
Wish I could remove myself from political lists where anybody can send accusatory emails to everyone on the list. I get hammered with dozens of political emails/daily.

You could always add the senders to either your ISP's or Email client blocked senders list. This is sometimes referred to as junk mail or spam folders. When I get about thousand in my ISP's spam folder, I sort by sender and retrieve the 2 or 3 that got there in error, bulk deleting the balance.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:18 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Good ideas though I suspect the deluge will soon quiet.

Of course many are antsy about our next president after spending 7 horror struck years watching the Bushbarians systematically dismantle almost everything we believed in and cherished.

After watching the absolute worst of the conservative side, it is natural to fear the absolute worst of the liberal side.

I am absolutely confident that the securing of oil pipelines will be ramped up via military means. They spent the republican capital and now look forward to squandering liberal capital.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you don't want to block the sender, PT...then do the next best thing...send the truth back to the poor devil who is so misinformed. Just hit REPLY and paste the link. You can also invite them to join you here at TVNL. We'll help them sort things out.

:twisted:

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:41 am 

Great in depth reply Catherine! I love to see when some blowhard (not you PT, but whoever sent that to you) gets a well thought out and stated reply setting the record straight.

Uninformed people are a huge problem in the United States. Uninformed and proud of it--I know. I do live among them. As PT suggested, they are annoying and no matter how hard you try, they stick to their Faux-Limbaugh talking points as though they were sent from on high.

All one can do is keep trying.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid