It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another source of Accurate Reporting Gone
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:14 am 

Date November 14, 2008 wrote:

A message from Helen & Harry

Today, Unknown News begins an extended break. There's no doubt the website will return in one form or another, but not as a news-link round-up. There are many sites that cover the news better than we ever have, or ever could.

I hope it hasn't been obvious, but we've been feeling a bit burned out for a year or so, ever since it finally sunk into our skulls that the Bush-Cheney administration is going to get away with everything -- thanks to the Democrats, the alleged "opposition party" of the past eight years, who've actually been the party of accommodation. Exactly one Democrat in Congress -- Dennis Kucinich, of course -- made a serious effort to hold the Bush-Cheney administration responsible for their flamboyantly obvious crimes against humanity, crimes against the Constitution, and crimes against statutory law. Beyond the Honorable Mr Kucinich, the rest of the Democratic Party never cared and in fact cooperated with the criminals, and by now we all know that there will be no justice for the dead, the damaged, and the doomed.

It's wonderful that Barack Obama won the election, and with a little luck I think he'll be a better leader than America's had in decades. But for all his fiery speeches and presumably good intentions, he's a middle-of-the-road moderate when America desperately needs to take a more progressive path. We wish him the best and we're glad he's not John McCain, but it's doubtful that Obama will make the u-turn America needs -- the poor will still be forgotten, the prisons will still be overstuffed and deadly cruel, the military will still be pointing guns all over the world, the planet will still be slowly strangled, and the corporations will still be in charge.

And we're just exhausted.

We've been rabble-rousers all our lives, and we're not done yet. We published political pamphlets for decades, and we've published Unknown News on-line for nine years or so, but now it's time for beer and reflection.

For the bottoms of our weary hearts, sincere and teary-eyed thanks to all our friends and supporters, news-hounds, writers, linkers, thinkers, off-the-record emailers, and other good people who've worked with us all these years. To us, it's been a battle to defend America, and I'm not sure we've won ... but we've tried.

Peace on earth,

Helen & Harry

It is with mixed emotions I read this because I feel many of the same things. The glimmer that is Obama seems like a candle in the wind when I hear the serious consideration of keeping Gates as Secretary of Defense or Hillary as Secretary of State. I will sorely miss Helen and Henry. I wish them total recuperation and success in whatever they attempt in future.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject: Re: Another source of Accurate Reporting Gone
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:21 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I agree with them 100%.

The dems have not even slowed the destruction of America.

Like I said last week, Obama talks a great game but his actions show no change in the steering.

I am fortunate to have gotten most of my years in before the banksters played their cards.

If I were in Israel however, the future looks very bright indeed.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I hope Helen and Harry have a great recuperation period, but I think (hope, wish,) they'll be back. Rabble rousers don't go gently into that good night...especially intelligent, articulate, and concerned about America rabble rousers like the Hightowers.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:12 pm 

Catherine wrote:
I hope Helen and Harry have a great recuperation period, but I think (hope, wish,) they'll be back. Rabble rousers don't go gently into that good night...especially intelligent, articulate, and concerned about America rabble rousers like the Hightowers.

That is how I feel too. Problems don't just go away, and rabble rousers are our best defense to keep what needs to be done in the limelight. At least in the limelight of people who care.

:occasion5:

Rest, Helen and Harry. But we do need you back. America isn't totally ignorant and those of us who fight for what is right can't afford to lose such important people.

And thank you for all you have done.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:37 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Unknown News reminds me of one of my favorite sites....Unfiltered News.

Great site by a truly remarkable mind...though some of the work is farmed out. The only problem is of a nature that I can't mention here.

The computer that I used for Wednesdays brave post mysteriously lost its ability to hop on the internet....unless I spend a long time "fixing it" until the next time it needs fixing, which is the next time it boots up.

The next year will be truly interesting as the banksters simultaneously play their cards, run the table, and show their hands. Its an expression in this case.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson