It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: When a woman remarries
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:01 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Question of ignorance: When a woman remarries, is it more typical to keep her former married name or adopt her new married name?

Maybe, I found my answer:
Quote:
"Most of the time, women with children like to keep their married name so it's consistent with their children," says Sharon Sooho, a family law attorney in Newton, Mass., and a partner with Divorce.net. "Some women, even without children, prefer to keep their married name because it sounds better, or it's the name they use professionally." A few add a new last name and use their previous last name as a middle name.

I'm thinking that would bother the new husband. "Why the heck do you still call yourself Smith, when you married me?"

The law is supposed to help with the name change:
Quote:
"When you divorce, the decree normally gives you permission to resume using your premarital name," says Brette McWhorter Sember of Clarence, N.Y., a former divorce attorney. "If you want to choose another name, you have to go through a legal name-change process. It generally requires that you file a petition with the court explaining why you want the change. Then you have to publish a notice of the change in a newspaper of record chosen by the court, so creditors and other interested parties are notified. Then the change is finalized."

My thought is that a woman who remarries does so because she doesn't love the former husband. Therefore, a new beginning would be in order. But, alas, the paperwork would make that issue daunting.
Quote:
"Gone are the days of simply changing a Social Security card, passport and driver's license," says Trott. "There are simply more people to notify. Each agency, government and nongovernment, has its own requirements."

Checklists also include memberships, clubs, associations, insurance companies, frequent-flier accounts and schools attended.

Not an earth shattering issue, but an interesting one. It might also reflect how much women have to bend in this society to make things convenient for others.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject: Re: When a woman remarries
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:01 am 

Channel Zero wrote:
Not an earth shattering issue, but an interesting one. It might also reflect how much women have to bend in this society to make things convenient for others.

I have often been intrigued by the Spaniards' way of dealing with this issue. They don't. They keep separate matriarchal and patriarchal lines. Daughters carry the mother's last name and sons carry the father's last name. In what must be one of the most chauvinistic of societies, a very elegant solution.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:33 am 

Quote:
In what must be one of the most chauvinistic of societies, a very elegant solution.

Yes, elegant indeed!

I know what trouble I have had just changing my ISP address, I hate to think what it must be like to change your name. Some accounts would take you back to the word 'go'. I lost years of records when I just changed my account number on some things.

Things have gotten so darn complicated. I would think a woman would want to take her new husband's name if she could--but she would have to be dedicated to doing so.

Interesting topic, CZ.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

:lol: boyoboy...this reminded me of the fiasco that my poor husband was going through before he and I got married, many years ago. He and his first wife had been divorced for over five years, and she had remarried and divorced TWICE during the intervening time. :roll: Anyway, she decided to return to using my husband's last name, just to be spiteful, which infuriated him, but there was nothing he could do. By now, the woman has been married at least 8 times (I lost count and interest a long time ago!) but during the interludes, she returns to using my husband's last name...what a hoot! :mrgreen:

The Japanese also have different last names...

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman