It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT AT THE MOVIE THEATRE!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

:shock:

I've been to movie theatres where rude and thoughtless people talked far too much during the movie. I've also been to movie theatres where people brought their crying infants. But I've never thought of shooting the perps...like this man did! I now seldom go to a theatre. I get my movies via Netflix...and enjoy them at home.

Phila. man shot because family talked during movie

Quote:
A South Philadelphia man enraged because a father and son were talking during a Christmas showing of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button took care of the situation when he pulled a .380-caliber gun and shot the father, police said.
James Joseph Cialella Jr., 29, of the 1900 block of Hollywood Street is charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault, and weapons violations.

"It's truly frightening when you see something like this evolve into such violence," said police spokesman Lt. Frank Vanore.

Police were called to the Riverview Theatre in the 1400 block of Columbus Boulevard about 9:30 p.m. where the gunshot victim, a Philadelphia man who was not identified, told police a man sitting near him told his family to be quiet and threw popcorn at his son.

After exchanging words, Vanore said Cialella allegedly got out of his seat to confront the family when the father got up to protect them. That's when the victim was shot once in the left arm, sending others in the theatre running to safety

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT AT THE MOVIE THEATRE!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Citizens carrying concealed weapons isn't "wrong," especially if a citizen has a good reason for doing so, or he or she is going to venture into areas where such weapons for self-protection may be needed. The problem arises with citizens who think the weapon they're carrying gives them the right to use it for any circumstance that might not meet with their approval. Many people are far too angry at situations within their own lives. They're frustrated because of their personal choices regarding relationships, children, jobs, etc. They have no idea how to control their anger and frustrations. They're tense and unfortunately in lots of cases, not too smart.

I thought the ending of the original report was very telling about the character of Cialella: After he'd shot the man, he sat back down and continued to watch the movie. We aren't told how long he managed to do this, or even how long the theatre managers continued to run the film. Cialella was a dangerous man who should not have been carrying a concealed weapon.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:13 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I see where Pennsylvania has a concealed weapon law that favors its citizens, but the case of the Philly guy having one just shows how easy it is to lose one's cool with a gun.

I think that whenever we've had problems with people talking a lot in a movie theater, the crowd would tell the bozos to shut up or get a movie usher to tell the people to shut up or get out. The guy with the gun should have explored those options.

Sounds like Pennsylvania, and in some respects Philadelphia, have a problem with guns.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good points, Channel.

As I said before, I seldom go to a movie theatre, but when I do, the one I attend does have rules about turning off cell phones and behaviors that aren't acceptable. Talking is one of them. Parents are expected to take crying infants or small children out immediately. Those rules are posted in the lobby and they're flashed up on the big screen several times long before the movie begins. During the movie ushers make discreet inspections. It's a well-run place, but that doesn't mean that someone with a gun couldn't decide to try to John Wayne and act out his fantasies.

Metal detectors will probably be a common sight in theatres everywhere eventually. OR everyone will just wear their guns in holsters like they did in the Old West!
:bom:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here's an update on this weird story:

Iraq Vet's Lawyer: He Fired In Self-Defense In Shooting Over Noisy Moviegoers

PHILADELPHIA — An Iraq veteran charged in a Christmas night shooting over noisy moviegoers fired in self-defense, his lawyer said.

James Joseph Cialella, 29, of Philadelphia, is charged with firing a shot that broke the arm of Woffard Lomax Jr. inside a movie theater during a screening of the film "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button."

A judge on Wednesday ordered Cialella held for trial on aggravated assault, reckless endangerment and related charges. The judge tossed out an attempted murder charge over a prosecutor's objections.

Lomax, 31, told the judge he was at the movie with his girlfriend and her three teenagers, enjoying the film and laughing, when a man in front of him _ not Cialella _ told him to quiet down. (Geez...and how old is the mother of the three teens? :twisted: )

"We can't laugh?" Lomax recalled asking.

A second man threw popcorn at the family, and a brawl ensued. Lomax said he was fighting with the first man when the second man pulled out a gun and fired, striking him in the left arm.

A defense lawyer argued that Cialella was being choked and punched as he tried to break up the fight and fired in self-defense.

:bigsmurf: Ah....the Christmas spirit!

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:41 pm 
Involved
Involved

Judging from the photo of the guy, considering that he had probably been awake for some time-along with a previous knuckle sandwich dinner, he appears to be a natural "fighter" anyway.
I know that one should not judge a book by its cover, but sometimes the covers are missing and all that is left are the loosely bound pages in between.

That being said, I would love...love to be able to attend screenings at theaters that enforce anti-phone, babies, discussion, laser pointers, projection workers making animal shadows, etc.
If I had the money and real estate, I would build a small, well laid out retro style theater and it would be scrutinized to the highest levels. No gang apparel, no ankle length shorts, no sagging britches, no knee length shirts, no nylon stocking caps, no jerseys over t-shirts, no gothic dress...basicly, nothing that would draw attention to one's self-which is what all that mode of dress is for. The whole "individualism" argument has been played out. Face it, not one of us is set apart from others by what we wear.

I'm not saying that it would be a tyrannical situation of approved dress. It would just be a step toward regaining something that we have lost over the years. Shame.
If we could begin to find shame within ourselves, within our actions-which is part of how we perceive ourselves...therefore contributing to how we choose to dress, I believe that we could get back to being able to live amongst each other. And cases such as fighting over discussion during a film could eventually cease. I'm hopeful.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:19 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

"Scrutinized to the highest level."

Welcome to 1984.

Welcome to Amerikka.

Welcome to now.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
"Scrutinized to the highest level."

Welcome to 1984.

Welcome to Amerikka.

Welcome to now

Point taken, PT...but when one owns an entertainment business and wants to attract a certain class of customer, he or she should determine what is going to be offered in order to make that happen. As I stated in my response to the original post, I do infrequently attend a theatre that does have rules and they are enforced. A dress code is not among them....yet...but here are the policies which I copied from the theatre's website. I think they would probably meet with endtime's approval:

Quote:
Policies

Please refrain from loud conversations or noise.
Please turn off mobile phones while in the theater.
Absolutely no throwing of food.
No outside food or drinks allowed.
Smoking is not allowed inside the Cinemas.
As a courtesy to others, please remove crying babies from the theater.
Please deposit trash in the trash receptacles.

If there is anything we can do to make your movie experience more
enjoyable please let us know.

link

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:04 am 

I would be extremely uncomfortable with a dress code beyond health code concerns. I have fought the prejudice of being judged by looks since I was a teenager, because of weight, hair length and fashion choice. Enforced conformity is a pox upon modern society and creative thought. Common courtesy needs to be expected and demanded but this does not extend to judging others by their exteriors, it is a short trip across the line of judging by skin color and ethnic origin.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:22 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
I would be extremely uncomfortable with a dress code

AGREED if it's a movie theatre... :D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most of these places REQUIRE shirt and shoes?

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:05 am 

Catherine wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most of these places REQUIRE shirt and shoes?

At least here in Arizona and in California as well, the shirt and shoes requirement were part of the health code. Movie snack bars have to enforce the same health code rules as restaurants, thus the requirement for shoes and shirts.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote