It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DAVID MCCULLOUGH'S JOHN ADAMS
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you did not catch the HBO mini-series John Adams when it was shown last year, please do try to either rent it or perhaps purchase it on dvd. What a magnificent film production! I have been watching it over the last three nights, having gotten the show from Netflix. The last episode will make you cry. I wish all young people could see it because we are greatly neglecting the teaching of American History in today's schools. This film is based on David McCullough's Pulitzer-winning, excellently researched biography of the same name. I also recommend reading the book.

When we know and understand what the people living at the time of the American Revolution went through to gain independence, it certainly makes it easier to understand and acknowledge why we must make sure the US Constitution is always protected, from enemies without and from enemies within.

David McCullough takes you into the John Adams home in a video from this link: http://www.amazon.com/John-Adams-Minise ... B000WGWQG8

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: DAVID MCCULLOUGH'S JOHN ADAMS
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:36 am 
Lots to Say
Lots to Say

I've never seen it, but I will say that I know that the war was NOT about a tea tax, as I was taught in skool.lol

Our fore fathers were all about printing our own money...............that was the primary reason for the war.

I'm not so sure we actually won that war..............we got privileges.

First line in The Paris Peace Treaty of September 30, 1783 :

Quote:
It having pleased the Divine Providence to dispose the hearts of the most serene and most potent Prince George the Third, by the grace of God, king of Great Britain, France, and Ireland, defender of the faith, duke of Brunswick and Lunebourg, arch-treasurer and prince elector of the Holy Roman Empire etc., and of the United States of America,
The treatyHere
Clearly he states that he is the arch-treasurer and the prince elector of the United States of America.

Now who, in their right mind, would agree to this statement.

Seems to me, we've been bamboozled.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If we'd been bamboozled, I doubt that those new American states would have evolved into the country that, at least before Bush, was respected and admired around the world.

My mother-in-law worked for many years in the Library of Congress. She always says that the best information about historical things can be found there. Here's a link: LOC

Interesting about the Paris Peace Treaty...I wonder if the American diplomats were stroking George's ego in order to get on with the business of actually growing the new USA. It would be difficult to nurture a new nation if that same nation was always occupied with skirmishes between itself and other countries, especially since America really needed the goodwill of both France and England at that time.

Quote:
In addition to giving formal recognition to the U.S., the nine articles that embodied the treaty: established U.S. boundaries, specified certain fishing rights, allowed creditors of each country to be paid by citizens of the other, restored the rights and property of Loyalists, opened up the Mississippi River to citizens of both nations and provided for evacuation of all British forces.
http://www.earlyamerica.com/earlyamerica/milestones/paris/

One of the most moving scenes in the HBO program is when John Adams is shown the now famous painting by John Trumbull, which depicts all the signers of the Declaration of Independence putting their signatures on the document. Adams is appalled at how Trumbull has distorted the reality of the signing. The DOI was not signed by all of the delegates on July 4, as the painting seems to indicate. Adams is furious that the history isn't being depicted accurately. He states bitterly that he believes that the real history of the American Revolution is "LOST!" At that time, there were only three of the signers still alive...Adams, Jefferson, and Charles Carroll. Also, according to WICKI, Adams did not really make such a remark. Had he done so, I would have to agree with him. As it is, I agree with the portrayal. The real history of our nation is indeed LOST. I encourage students to research, research, research. This "lost aspect" of our history did not daunt David McCullough, though. He has written a fine biography. I am going to buy the book to add it to my American History collection

There are other aspects of the HBO miniseries which are not historically accurate, but they do not detract from the overall achievement. Here's a link to some of the inaccuracies according to WICKI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Adams_(miniseries)

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:38 pm 

Catherine wrote:
. . . . provided for evacuation of all British forces.

This is not exactly true. Britain went on to maintain a number of military outposts on United States soil much as we maintain bases throughout the world today. It was not until losing the War of 1812 (sometimes referred to as the Second Revolutionary War), thirty some years later that Britain withdrew all their forces into Canada and back to Europe.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:13 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Hmmm....Britain/Canada cleaned our clock in 1812. Marched down and burned our capital without much resistance. That meant that they won the war.
Perhaps that is what you meant after all.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:25 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Mighty oak 1 wrote:
I've never seen it, but I will say that I know that the war was NOT about a tea tax, as I was taught in skool.lol

Our fore fathers were all about printing our own money...............that was the primary reason for the war.

Quote:
It having pleased the Divine Providence to dispose the hearts of the most serene and most potent Prince George the Third, by the grace of God, king of Great Britain, France, and Ireland, defender of the faith, duke of Brunswick and Lunebourg, arch-treasurer and prince elector of the Holy Roman Empire etc., and of the United States of America,
The treatyHere
Clearly he states that he is the arch-treasurer and the prince elector of the United States of America.

I think the war really was about taxation as much as anything. Plus printing our own money. There would have been no Revolution if the Bank of England (AKA: sea bank) had not forced the Boston area bank (AKA: land bank), that the father of Samuel Adams was a director of, into closure. The Boston bank did not use the gold standard, it recognized that any commodity could be used. It was effective and the Bank of England was very concerned about that.

Samuel Adams and John Hancock were the most effective revolutionaries for a long time. King George once singled them to be returned to England for a prompt hanging.

Watching what the Bank of england did to his father, family, and friends turned Samuel Adams into a revolutionary without need for rest.

Alexander Hamilton had the right ear of Washington, much to the chagrin of both Adams and Jefferson, and was able to almost duplicate the Bank of England's system for our first central bank.

The Federal Reserve is our third central bank. Jefferson fought the first. Jackson fought the second and prevailed in spite of the banks director throwing the nation into a depression...which made good on his threat.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/13/ ... topstories
Obama is the bankers boy.

These are my opinions of course. Everything else I say is iron clad....lol.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I did not know that John Adams had a daughter who died of breast cancer. In the miniseries, this is another excruciating scene as Nabby Adams Smith (Sarah Polley) is subjected to a mastectomy in an upstairs bedroom of the Adams farmhouse (known as Peacefield); no anesthetic is used. Nabby is described by the doctor as bearing up with great fortitude. She lived two more years.

It's rather ironic that Sarah Polley's mother died of breast cancer when Sarah was very young.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:25 am 
Lots to Say
Lots to Say

Purple Tang wrote:
Mighty oak 1 wrote:

Quote:
The treatyHere

I think the war really was about taxation as much as anything. Plus printing our own money. There would have been no Revolution if the Bank of England (AKA: sea bank) had not forced the Boston area bank (AKA: land bank), that the father of Samuel Adams was a director of, into closure. The Boston bank did not use the gold standard, it recognized that any commodity could be used. It was effective and the Bank of England was very concerned about that.

Samuel Adams and John Hancock were the most effective revolutionaries for a long time. King George once singled them to be returned to England for a prompt hanging.

Watching what the Bank of england did to his father, family, and friends turned Samuel Adams into a revolutionary without need for rest.

Alexander Hamilton had the right ear of Washington, much to the chagrin of both Adams and Jefferson, and was able to almost duplicate the Bank of England's system for our first central bank.

The Federal Reserve is our third central bank. Jefferson fought the first. Jackson fought the second and prevailed in spite of the banks director throwing the nation into a depression...which made good on his threat.

These are my opinions of course. Everything else I say is iron clad....lol.
Very interesting.

Isn't it ironic that they put Jackson on the $20.00 bill. He absolutely hated the Central Bank. I read, but could not confirm, that on his tombstone reads, "I killed the bank". Do you know if this is true ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can't confirm, mighty. FYI, if you're interested in grave information, go to FIND A GRAVE

VERY INTERESTING INFORMATION AT THAT SITE! :D

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:32 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Quote:
The treatyHere

Seems to me, we've been bamboozled.[/quote]

These are my opinions of course. Everything else I say is iron clad....lol.[/quote]Very interesting.

Isn't it ironic that they put Jackson on the $20.00 bill. He absolutely hated the Central Bank. I read, but could not confirm, that on his tombstone reads, "I killed the bank". Do you know if this is true ?[/quote]

I don't know if that is true.

The public used to be far more aware of the money trust. I truly fear for our livelihoods, as we know it, now that the money trust holds so many of the cards in the deck.

Their control over the corporate media is alarming.