It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What to do about Congress?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:04 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

We have a problem here folks. Congress does not work for the American people. That might be called treason?

What needs to be done?

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject: Re: What to do about Congress?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:39 am 

Purple Tang wrote:
What needs to be done?

We need to get the local version of Dennis Kucinich elected 534 more times. Simple but not easy.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree with APL, but I'm also going to watch how Obama works with Congress. He's going to have to prove to some of those old geezers that he's smart. Obama has a lot of "political capital" right now and it seems that Americans want to give him a chance to do what he can to bring our nation back around to its "pre-Bush" level of competence. That's not a realistic hope, as we all know, but it's out there whether we like it or not. Obama or any other president will not be able to clean up Bush's mess in two terms, much less one term. I'm just very happy it's not McCain this time around. :roll:

BUT my opinion is that those Congressional members, especially the Democrats, are going to read their own political tickers coming from the states they represent and decide that if they want to be re-elected in 2010 or even in 2012, they need to work with this new president. They've certainly not shown themselves capable of coming up with any new ideas on their own....except for Kucinich. The Repubs will be doing all they can to undermine Obama, too, while the media will be scrutinizing his every move with the Hubble telescope, something they refused to do to Bush.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:17 am 

Catherine wrote:
. . . while the media will be scrutinizing his every move with the Hubble telescope, something they refused to do to Bush.

Sorry the scientist in me couldn't let this one slip by. They will be using a microscope on Obama; it was the long distance examination with a telescope that allowed them to ignore the details of the War Chimp's crimes. However, you are definitely right—the treatment the two receive from the press will be polar opposites. Of course, much of that can be attributed to the fact that much of what we call the press or media today is really NeoCon talking pinheads—spouters of opinion not news.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the science lesson. To me, the Hubble is big enough to catch things that a microscope might miss, and if the neocons can get their media buddies to do the "catching", (a la Bill Clinton) they'll do it....but I stand corrected. 8)

Look at this report from Huffington's link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/18/us/po ... ml?_r=1&hp

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:51 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

A Proud Liberal wrote:
Purple Tang wrote:
What needs to be done?

We need to get the local version of Dennis Kucinich elected 534 more times. Simple but not easy.

Dennis is my favorite person in Congress. I don't agree with some of his politics but I do believe he is a fantastic person.

If he was the president-elect, I would not be forced into 'pising in the liberals cheerios'.

We would have far better Congress people if running was more affordable. As it is, we have a contest of who can reach the furthest into the deepest pockets. Not something that appeals to decent folks.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
We would have far better Congress people if running was more affordable. As it is, we have a contest of who can reach the furthest into the deepest pockets. Not something that appeals to decent folks.

Is there anybody in Congress right now who isn't independently wealthy? Isn't Kucinich wealthy, too? Isn't that one of the reasons they can run for the HOR or the Senate in the first place? They don't have to make a daily living, so they can go up to DC and hob-nob. Then they are so happy to vote themselves raises, even though some of them will make noises against it, and even vote NO when it comes down to it. BUT, they do this, knowing full well that their NO vote will not matter, and they get their raise while looking to most of their non-thinking constituents as though they opposed it.

Just sayin' :blackeye:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:05 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I think Paul and Kucinich are two of the least wealthy in Congress. They are also the only two that consistently fight for Americans. The majority are globalists with disdain for the Constitution.

The rich take care of riches. That philosophy made them rich.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:36 pm 

You know, I may not be finding it, but I don't think he Kucinich is rich. He may just be frugal. (sorry, that was random)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:58 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I am not aware of any personal wealth in the Kucinich family. They grew up just as poor as they could be. Living out of their car at times, it was really bad.

I am not aware of a rich politician that is held in high regard after the smoke and mirrors clear up. The corporate media tries to spit shine people like Bloomberg but the truth eventually comes out.

There have been exceptions. JFK, Washington and Jefferson come to mind though Jefferson couldn't control his spending. The most highly esteemed leaders have been 'self made' men.

Self made man....George Bush. Hah.....had to put them both in the same sentence just to see how it looked. :bom:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kennedy served in WW2, as did his brother, Joe, who died on a supposedly secret aerial mission. How many of today's politicians have served in the military? Certainly not Bush and Cheney! :roll: Now, rich guys like Kennedy don't serve...unless they want to serve, and then they're usually given a cushy job of some kind, out of harm's way. We KNOW W avoided Vietnam, as did Cheney. Bush and Cheney are cowards.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:39 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Everybody had to serve in WWII. Even Jimmy Stewart and the Rockefellers. AKA: the rich & the famous

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:50 pm 

Purple Tang wrote:
Everybody had to serve in WWII. Even Jimmy Stewart and the Rockefellers. AKA: the rich & the famous

Such is the case because it was a justified war of necessity. It was the last such war. It was also the last officially declared war; not withstanding "War on Terror."