It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Some governors unsure about taking stimulus money
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:26 am 

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — Governors usually don't argue about whether they should take money from the federal government, just how much they should get. Yet some chief executives are divided over President Barack Obama's economic stimulus plan and whether the billions it offers is always a good deal.

Gov. Haley Barbour, R-Miss., has said he is considering turning down millions of dollars in unemployment aid because it would force his state to raise taxes when the stimulus money runs out by putting in place a tax on employers. Louisiana Republican Gov. Bobby Jindal shares that concern about strings attached to stimulus dollars as well as the plan's overall approach to dealing with the economic crisis.

Gov. Mark Sanford, R-S.C., has criticized the stimulus plan, as has Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the party's 2008 vice presidential nominee who traveled to Washington last month to press for her state's share of the money. Palin, busy with her state's legislative session, did not attend the NGA meeting.

Yea! I'm so excited. I mean, who gives a shit how bad the unemployment is here. Surely its the fault of the employees because they can't keep a job. They should be willing to move to Zimbabwe if that's where the string of companies that are running from our state are moving to. Oh ya, or they could take one of the 3 jobs open at American Eurocopter that require simple shit, like a Master's degree in Aeronautical Engineering and at least 10 years of industry experience. Hell, its easy for someone to transition from a MEAT PACKING PLANT JOB to being a highly qualified aeronautical engineer...Good times.

104,423 people are officially unemployed in MS (that's 8%). Who knows how many people aren't considered unemployed because they don't qualify for benefits and aren't being counted?!

AL 6.7%* 144,074**
LA 5.9% 121,949
SC 9.5% 207,171
ID 6.4% 48,961

*percent unemployment
**actual number of unemployed

I'm sorry, but I think that the whole, "we aren't gunna raise taxes" hysterics is not going to work. How the hell do they plan on bringing jobs here? HOW? I'll tell you that here in MS, there is nothing! In my area, you either work at the university, the schools, a few banking jobs and everyone else works in retail and fast food. I'm not kidding. Grown people have to work at Arby's. I'm unlucky enough to have a college degree though, so I am over qualified for all of that except for the uni jobs or to work at the schools. I've done both and I tell you, they aren't peachy and they don't pay well at all.

I'm not sure this is the proper area for some random govs to show their asses.
ARG