It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CHENEY ON TORTURE/POTENTIAL PROSECUTIONS
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:16 am 

Quote:
“There are two documents in particular that I personally have read and know about that are still classified in that National Archives," Cheney said. "But I’ve asked that they be de-classified; I made that request over a month ago on March 31st. What those documents show is the success, especially of the interrogation program in terms of what it produced by way of intelligence that let us track down members of Al-Qaeda and disrupt their plans and plots to strike the United States. It’s all there in black and white…It demonstrates conclusively the worth of those programs. As I say, I’ve asked the administration to de-classify them and so far they have not.”

Hennen reminded Cheney of Obama’s recent statements that waterboarding and other practices were unnecessary and “we could have gotten this information in other ways, in ways that were consistent with our values, in ways that were consistent with who we are.”

Cheney responded, “Well, I don’t believe that’s true. That assumes that we didn’t try other ways, and in fact we did. We resorted, for example, to waterboarding, which is the source of much of the controversy…with only three individuals. In those cases, it was only after we’d gone through all the other steps of the process. The way the whole program was set up was very careful, to use other methods and only to resort to something like the enhanced techniques in those special circumstances.”

Cheney also aired disturbed feelings about the calls for the prosecutions of Bush administration officials over torture.

“I’ve never heard of such a thing,” he said. “And talk about putting a wet blanket on anybody in government’s willingness to be bold in their recommendations and so forth. Just forget that.”

He warned that such action would have future consequences.

“Anybody who sees that kind of thing happen is going to pull their head in, and they’ll be reluctant to take responsibility for anything," he said, adding, "I hear this talk that there is going to be some kind of foreign prosecution of our guys, I just think that’s abhorrent, and I think they ought to do everything they can to fight that.”

Full article: http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2009/05/07/1926056.aspx

Additional article: Cheney: Spanish torture probe 'abhorrent'
http://rawstory.com/blog/2009/05/cheney-spanish-torture-probe-abhorrent/

Post subject: Re: CHENEY ON TORTURE/POTENTIAL PROSECUTIONS
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Harold Ford: I Would Have Voted To Approve Torture

This weekend, former Vice President Cheney repeated his claim that torture “saved thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands, of lives.” Of those, like President Obama, who condemn torture as making America less safe, Cheney insisted, “in effect, we’re prepared to sacrifice American lives rather than run an intelligent interrogation program that would provide us the information we need to protect America.”

This evening (May 11) on MSNBC, former Democratic congressman Harold Ford, Jr., adopted many of Cheney’s right-wing talking points to defend torture, saying he was “not as outraged as some are about” what happened at Guantanamo. He suggested that he even would have voted to approve torture in order to “prevent the destruction of an American city”:

FORD: You have to remember when this was occurring. This is 2002, 2003. The country was in a different place, in a different space. And if you were to say to me, as an American, put aside my partisanship, that we have an opportunity to gain information that would prevent the destruction of an American city, to prevent killings in American cities, and we have to use certain techniques, I’m one of those Americans that would have voted a certain way, Chris. And that polling said it might have been torture, but I’m not as outraged.

Watch it:

At least Chris Matthews called Ford on his outrageous remarks:

Quote:
Matthews was incredulous, telling Ford, “You are veering into Cheney country here.” He said Ford’s talking point about the destruction of an American city was “Cheney talk.” “That’s what he used to justify torture,” Matthews said.

THINK PROGRESS HAS RELEASED AN EXTENSIVE REPORT ON WHY THE BUSH TORTURE POLICIES FAILED:

http://thinkprogress.org/why-enhanced-i ... on-failed/

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:30 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Gerald Ford ... oh so dependable. For a certain group.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

NOT Gerald Ford...he's dead!

It's HAROLD FORD, JR...a narcissistic little prick.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman